Apple tries last-minute appeal to stop App Store changes

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2021
Apple is petitioning a higher court to stay the previous ruling that mandates changes to the App Store as a result of the legal battle with Epic Games.

Apple is making another attempt to delay implementing changes to its App Store while waiting for the appeals hearing.

Apple's argument remains the same. The tech-giant claims that integrating new App Store affordances is a monumental task that would take "months" to accomplish and be detrimental to everyone involved.

Apple hopes that it can delay the injunction 30 days.

"Given the injunction's effective date of Dec. 9, Apple seeks immediate entry of an administrative stay that would expire 30 days after the Court's ruling on the stay motion," according to the filing seen by Bloomberg.

Without a stay, Apple said that "the App Store will have to be reconfigured -- to the detriment of consumers, developers, and Apple itself."

On November 9, U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers rejected Apple's first motion to stay court orders that would force the company to repeal App Store anti-steering rules prohibiting developers from integrating purchase buttons and links within their apps.

The request was denied, with the judge saying that Apple had sufficient time since the ruling to get the job done.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Shows how dumb the judge is. No way Apple can reconfigure the App Store that fast. Plus there will be plenty of lawsuits against Apple for changing it. If Apple is forced to open it up I’m filing a lawsuit against Apple for damaging a secure system, putting my devices at risk. 
    AppleUfmyIDetnatorHedwareRudolfGottfriedBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 145member
    rob53 said:
    Shows how dumb the judge is. No way Apple can reconfigure the App Store that fast. Plus there will be plenty of lawsuits against Apple for changing it. If Apple is forced to open it up I’m filing a lawsuit against Apple for damaging a secure system, putting my devices at risk. 
    Cool, who are you represented by? Where will you be filing your suit? 
    elijahgwilliamlondonAppleUfmyI
  • Reply 3 of 13
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Looking forward to Apple getting smacked down again.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rob53 said:
    lol
    williamlondonAppleUfmyIelijahg
  • Reply 5 of 13
    darkvader said:
    It is hard to tell if that happens.  The law in question is a vague state law and Federal appeals courts tend to go with 'retain the status quo'. It all depends on how well Apple explains the situation and how fast the court acts.  A 30 day extension (getting Apple past the somewhat chaotic holiday season) could be in the cards.  I don't see much further down the line.

As for lawsuits against Apple for changing things - that is DOA because Apple would be compiling with a court ruling. I seriously doubt any judge would tolerate any such lawsuit and likely give a summary judgment so fast it would make the plaintiffs' heads spin like a top.  If they were really ticked off at the plaintiffs' they could have them pay Apple's legal fees on top of everything else.
    edited December 2021 elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    maximara said:
    darkvader said:
    It is hard to tell if that happens.  The law in question is a vague state law and Federal appeals courts tend to go with 'retain the status quo'. It all depends on how well Apple explains the situation and how fast the court acts.  A 30 day extension (getting Apple past the somewhat chaotic holiday season) could be in the cards.  I don't see much further down the line.

As for lawsuits against Apple for changing things - that is DOA because Apple would be compiling with a court ruling. I seriously doubt any judge would tolerate any such lawsuit and likely give a summary judgment so fast it would make the plaintiffs' heads spin like a top.  If they were really ticked off at the plaintiffs' they could have them pay Apple's legal fees on top of everything else.
    Just file it in Texas!  Lots of moron successes there !! 
    RudolfGottfriedelijahgronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    darkvader said:
    Of course you are. But my money is on you being wrong.  Again. 
    RudolfGottfriedrob53ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I wish if the courts had asked Apple users about this before making such an uninformed decision. They seem to just come up with their own theories of what hurts the user. 
    Apple’s ecosystem is one of a kind, and to see ignorant courts and greedy companies force laws that compromise this system is infuriating. They’re bringing Apple down to an inferior level because competition is incapable of attaining Apple’s success. 
    Apple doesn’t own the majority of anything nor do they use or even have the monopoly power to stifle competition. 
    DetnatorRudolfGottfriedrob53williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Monetarily it's not going have much effect at all on Apple's cut of App Store transactions. Not even a blip on the radar. Just like Google has announced, Apple will be taking a commission on all transactions that originate from an App Store app. What that means for the big players like Netflix and Amazon who run transactions thru their own systems hasn't been mentioned tho, so some carve-outs might still be part and parcel. 

edited December 2021 ronn
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Detnator said:
    darkvader said:
    There is a growing contingent on this forum that enjoy that exact position, being wrong over and over again with a special focus on those who are gleeful at Apple’s (perceived) missteps. Do you think it’s deliberate?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Detnator said:
    darkvader said:
    There is a growing contingent on this forum that enjoy that exact position, being wrong over and over again with a special focus on those who are gleeful at Apple’s (perceived) missteps. Do you think it’s deliberate?
    I don't like to, but I have come to increasingly think it is.  Some taking this kind of position, if it is deliberate, at least do it with some subtlety.  With others, particularly this guy (darkvader)...

...Well, let's just say I don't like to jump to do the "you're deliberately stirring the pot" or "you're a shill" conclusions, but his and a small few others' comments are just so outrageous (both ridiculous and just plain wrong), and when challenged with any actual facts, they disappear on the topic, and have no response (until they pop up somewhere else with something new)...  

I just don't know how to come to any other conclusions. I'm happy to hear it's not just me with these thoughts.

One wonders why.  I suppose it's a form of entertainment for some people.  Mind you, at least as I've come to increasingly conclude the above about these guys, it becomes less annoying and more entertaining for me too.  So I suppose... win win!  lol.
    edited December 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    darkvader said:
    If anyone needs a smackdown, it's people like you for constantly putting out opinions as fact. 
    williamlondonDetnatorwatto_cobra