Apple reportedly telling suppliers demand for iPhone 13 has slowed

Posted:
in iPhone
Chip shortages and bottlenecks in the global supply chain may be driving some customers to seek alternatives to Apple's latest iPhone, causing demand for the smartphone to drop.

Apple has reportedly already cut production targets by up to 10 million units because of chip shortages spurred by a spike in COVID-19 cases globally, as well as power usage restrictions in China.

Apple may now be telling component suppliers that demand for the iPhone 13 has slowed, an anonymous source familiar with the matter told Bloomberg. The source reports that Apple is now telling vendors that many of its projected orders may not materialize.

In October, it was reported that demand for the new iPhone 13 lineup was "robust," and the company expected to see continued growth in all of its product categories through the first quarter of 2022.

In November, it appeared as though the supply chain may have been improving as iPhone 13 Pro lead times contracted slightly in the seventh week of availability.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Bloomberg? Fake news.
    williamlondonradarthekatkitatit
  • Reply 2 of 16
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    I doubt Apple would ever tell suppliers demand for the end product has dropped. Fails all understanding of Apple’s secrecy. 
    williamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 16
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    Also — nobody drives in nyc because of all the traffic.
    williamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 16
    How does Bloomberg move Apple’s stock upward? Have Gurman claim Apple’s interest in the Car has been reinvigorated. 

How does Bloomberg move Apple’s stock downward? Have Gurman claim Apple told suppliers of a slowdown in iPhone sales. 

Looking forward to reading the upcoming Berkshire article. 😉
    radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 16
    This story makes no sense. Demand doesn't slow down because of a chip shortage. "Oh, I was going to buy an iPhone, but I hear there's a chip shortage, so I've changed my mind." A chip shortage might leave Apple unable to meet demand, but that's a different thing... and thus far, Apple seems to have weathered the chip shortage very well. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Perhaps if Apple opened up iOS, allowed side loading, removed most of the technological restrictions and generally made iOS into a real operating system (software designed to allow users to operate their computer system) iPhones would suddenly become really exciting again. I have to wonder why Apple's board of directors is allowing the management to prioritize control over profits?
    darkvader
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I just purchased two IPhone 13 pro max 1TB 2 weeks ago! That and a MBP M1 max still hasn’t shipped!!?? So, yea!!! No one is buying! Absolutely so demand here!! Eyes rolled to the back of my head! 🙄
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Perhaps if Apple opened up iOS, allowed side loading, removed most of the technological restrictions and generally made iOS into a real operating system (software designed to allow users to operate their computer system) iPhones would suddenly become really exciting again. I have to wonder why Apple's board of directors is allowing the management to prioritize control over profits?
    The problem is Apple will not be able to charge a premium price for iPhones. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I just purchased two IPhone 13 pro max 1TB 2 weeks ago! That and a MBP M1 max still hasn’t shipped!!?? So, yea!!! No one is buying! Absolutely no demand here!! Eyes rolled to the back of my head!
    edited December 2021 radarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 16
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Your post is, comical, to state the obvious...
    williamlondonhammeroftruthFidonet127radarthekat
  • Reply 11 of 16
    tmay said:
    Seems some on here took a very wrong turn early in their journey that led them here. You'd think that nearly universal disagreement with every post would be a big clue unless it's deliberate and rhymes with 'roll'.
    tmayradarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 16
    tmay said:
    Seems some on here took a very wrong turn early in their journey that led them here. You'd think that nearly universal disagreement with every post would be a big clue unless it's deliberate and rhymes with 'roll'.
    Do not mistake the opinions of the Apple fans that post here with those of the vastly larger number of Apple customers who don't care what you, I or Apple thinks. They just want something new, shiny and exciting to buy. Apple used to supply all three of those but now it can only manage the first two when it comes to iPhones (the new M series processors are quite exciting and are in the process of disrupting the computer industry.)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    Bosa said:
    Lol this fake news is worse than CNN.
    And yet figure 6 exists…

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/11/38-of-us-adults-believe-government-is-faking-covid-19-death-toll/
  • Reply 14 of 16
    This is such a silly rumor. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    tmay said:
    Do not mistake the opinions of the Apple fans that post here with those of the vastly larger number of Apple customers who don't care what you, I or Apple thinks. They just want something new, shiny and exciting to buy. Apple used to supply all three of those but now it can only manage the first two when it comes to iPhones (the new M series processors are quite exciting and are in the process of disrupting the computer industry.)
    Wow, you are seriously confused and just jabbing at everything now. There is no connection between an opened iOS, side loading, removed tech restrictions and Apple’s capacity to innovate as you are implying here.

Also, I and my 99.999% fellow customers would not be happier with the solution you suggest — but quite the contrary. So how would you and your fellow 0.001% be able to afford an iPhone at a price roughly 100 000 times higher than today if you were to drive all the sales?

I think you are looking at the wrong shelf in the smart phone store, @OutdoorAppDeveloper   Android phones are further down the alley.
    williamlondonlkrupp