Apple AR headset to weigh just less than a pound, lighter second version follows

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2021
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has continued his reports on the forthcoming Apple AR headset, with details of its expected weight -- and that of a followup device that is already in the works.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

Following his report that the Apple AR headset will boast M1-level processing power, respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has reported some more details.

Specifically, he reports that the first device will weigh between 300 grams and 400 grams. That's between approximately 0.7lbs and 0.9lbs.

For comparison, an aluminium 41mm Apple Watch Series 7 weighs 32 grams, or 0.07lbs. An iPhone 13 is 174 grams, or 0.38lbs.

Kuo reports that he expects Apple to sell between 2.5 million and 3.5 million of this first-generation headset. A second generation model, already in development, will reportedly be lighter and more powerful.

This second design is said to launch in the second half of 2024, and Kuo expects Apple to sell up to 10 million.

Kuo also repeats his previous report that the first-generation headset will be a mixed reality one, meaning it will be used for both AR and Virtual Reality.

Separately, other reports have suggested that Apple may announce the Apple AR headset at WWDC 2022. However, production complexities may mean that the announcement may come long before the device can be shipped.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    By comparison the AirPod max weighs 384.8 grams. Based on my experience with the AirPod max sounds like this headset could be comfortable to wear. Be prepared for accessory straps. Looks like it’s going to be a silicon strap similar to the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    By comparison the AirPod max weighs 384.8 grams. Based on my experience with the AirPod max sounds like this headset could be comfortable to wear. Be prepared for accessory straps. Looks like it’s going to be a silicon strap similar to the Apple Watch.
    You’re probably right about the silicone straps, though I’m really hoping for options similar to the Braided Solo Loop or the Sport Loop as well. My completely unlikely wild card prediction is for the strap to be a durable version of the mesh material on the AirPods Max. I really feel like they were designed the way they were so as to accommodate a headset in some way. 
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 3 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    The big gate that any eye wearable has to cross for me is "don't make me puke". I get nauseous playing FPS games, resulting in me never playing FPS games. So, wait and see. If the product can project a large secondary display for me good enough to read text, it would be very useful to me. So, potentially, wear it for 8 hours a day, working at my desk. If it can display secondary, tertiary, ad infinitum other displays, and let me see my room and desk, game changer.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    That's all fine and well but..., Will it also come in (Product) Red?
    I've used that joke before. I'm sure you all are getting tired of it.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    How this is balanced on the head will be key. I get upper back soreness after a day of carrying my phone in my breast pocket nowadays, and if this device is, as rumoured, about twice the weight of the phone... well, it's probably not going to be used much while moving around.
    rezwits
  • Reply 6 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    rikipedia said:
    Aren't jokes usually funny?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    I’m a pretty big tech nerd, but this is a bridge too far. Wearing a goofy headset is just not something that’s going to catch on. Gaming only/mostly maybe, but definitely not the way to the future for the majority. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    digitol said:
    I’m a pretty big tech nerd, but this is a bridge too far. Wearing a goofy headset is just not something that’s going to catch on. Gaming only/mostly maybe, but definitely not the way to the future for the majority. 
    I’ve heard this argument before…when the iPhone was released, when the iPad was released, when Apple Watch was released, then when AirPods were released. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Japhey said:
    digitol said:
    I’ve heard this argument before…when the iPhone was released, when the iPad was released, when Apple Watch was released, then when AirPods were released. 
    People used mobile phones before iPhone, carried Walkmans before iPod, wore watches before Apple Watch, listened with headphones before AirPods. 
    What comes before Apple headset? Ski goggles? Bike helmets?
    You take these off when you get off your skis/motorbike. It’s not a fashion accessory. 
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 10 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rikipedia said:
    Aren't jokes usually funny?
    + 1

Normally I can tell what a joke is going for, even if I don't find it funny.  That's not a joke, it's just a question.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jido said:
    Japhey said:
    digitol said:
    People used mobile phones before iPhone, carried Walkmans before iPod, wore watches before Apple Watch, listened with headphones before AirPods. 
    What comes before Apple headset? Ski goggles? Bike helmets?
    You take these off when you get off your skis/motorbike. It’s not a fashion accessory. 
    I don’t really get what your point is here, but you better believe that Apple will make them a fashion accessory. Or did you just discover the company this morning?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    <DUPLICATE POST>

You know what's great?

I just read this HYPER-FUELED rant, about how Macs suck at gaming on AppleInsider.  Again for like, oh what guys?  The 3,000th time?
    LOL SICK

So, I kept scrolling and came across this piece.  You know what I just realized?  Now I already realized, that Apple is gonna crush Meta, but what donned on me with THIS piece is:

Apple is going to utterly destroy the AR/VR mind space by 2030, and at that time when the smoke has cleared, we will be getting our 1st pair of prescription glasses filled by Apple, and walking outside and talking with people in ways no one could have imagined... every topic of discussion every word at our fingertips ("eye-tips").

But AR/VR gaming for 5+ years is gonna be amazing!!  Can't wait!  I don't care about PC gaming or even console gaming, I mean how many FPSes@60fps do we need?

This is gonna be awesome!!  Man, I can't wait to get my new "Apple Goggles" and develop!!  And not to mention create my own AR pair of Apple Glasses for when I am 60!

They'll still be playing Call of Duty or Crisis and be on their 20th (more like 30th) NVIDIA video card!

Laters...