Apple planning 2022 iPhone SE upgrade, followed by larger screen in 2023

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2021
Ming-Chi Kuo reports that following a small update to the iPhone SE in 2022, Apple will launch a larger-screen model in 2023.

Apple's original iPhone SE and first upgrade
Apple's original iPhone SE and first upgrade

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new report to investors regarding the Apple Watch, future AirPods Pro, and also details of the forthcoming Apple AR headset. He has also included new details of Apple's plans for the iPhone SE.

"We expect Apple to release a new iPhone SE in 2023 with a larger display than the 1H22 SE's 4.7-inch and 4GB of memory support (vs. 3GB in the 1H22 SE)," writes Kuo.

Kuo believes that Apple will release a third generation iPhone SE in the first half of 2022, and that it will continue to feature the same 4.7-inch size screen as the present model.

The larger model is to come at some point in 2023. As with his report on the Apple Watch range, Kuo expects that Luxshare-ICT will be the chief supplier.

Rumors surrounding another refresh of the iPhone SE have been swirling for some time. Rumors have varied between a 5G model, parallel releases of a new iPhone SE with a 5G and a larger screen, and more.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Frame size of iphone SE is good but screen needs to expand edge to edge on side and on top. May be worth moving touchid to power button like iPad..
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 2 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Meet the new iPhone Mini….

• Reply 3 of 11
    wood1208 said:
    Frame size of iphone SE is good but screen needs to expand edge to edge on side and on top. May be worth moving touchid to power button like iPad..

These constant same suggestions are irritating. Why does it have to expand edge to edge? Why can’t the edges be cut so it’s actually SMALLER with the SAME screen size?
    command_f
  • Reply 4 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

These constant same suggestions are irritating. Why does it have to expand edge to edge? Why can’t the edges be cut so it’s actually SMALLER with the SAME screen size?
    Irritating to you, maybe. The iPhone you’re suggesting would be even smaller than the Mini, which isn’t exactly selling like hotcakes. Maybe the $300 savings would yield a few more in sales volume, but the market for tiny, baby phones had been grossly overestimated. And the numbers prove it. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamBeats
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

I know several people who bemoan the size of current phones and like (or even still use) the original SE. However, it remains to be seen if they would actually buy a replacement that size. Personally, I always liked the smaller phones but there's no doubt that bigger displays (and hence phones) are more usable and versatile.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Is Apple going to upsize my hands, so holding a huge device becomes practical for someone like me with small hands and short digits?

A million devices a year is probably a rounding error for Apple, but there ARE a few value-driven old people like me who DO buy smaller iPhones, and do look to upgrade every few years.

The 2016 SE met my needs at the time, and the 2020 SE meets my modest needs for a phone-and-snapshot-camera perfectly.
    An entry-level price point and years of iOS and app updates are added bonuses.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    command_f said:
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

I know several people who bemoan the size of current phones and like (or even still use) the original SE. However, it remains to be seen if they would actually buy a replacement that size. Personally, I always liked the smaller phones but there's no doubt that bigger displays (and hence phones) are more usable and versatile.
    My daughter was hanging on to an original SE for that reason and was planning to upgrade to the 13 Mini until she held both 13 models. She decided that the 13 was not too large after all and went with that. Go figure.

• Reply 8 of 11
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    My daughter was hanging on to an original SE for that reason and was planning to upgrade to the 13 Mini until she held both 13 models. She decided that the 13 was not too large after all and went with that. Go figure.
    That's how I got my 12 Mini :)

The SE designation used to mean that the device was somehow special. The original SE was a lot of function in a small package. Since then the following models were bigger, used older tech, and cheaper...not really special. Instead of the above refresh and seeing that the 13 Mini has the same cameras and tech as the 13 but in a smaller package, wouldn't it be more appropriate to call it the 13SE instead of Mini. Personally, I never liked the "Mini" moniker when applied to the iPhone. Implies not only a small size but also less functionality.
    Beatswilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Japhey said:
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

Irritating to you, maybe. The iPhone you’re suggesting would be even smaller than the Mini, which isn’t exactly selling like hotcakes. Maybe the $300 savings would yield a few more in sales volume, but the market for tiny, baby phones had been grossly overestimated. And the numbers prove it. 

If people want a bigger phone they can get other iPhones. “Baby phones” sold hundreds of millions before the giants came so there’s a huge market for them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    Japhey said:
    Beats said:
    wood1208 said:

If people want a bigger phone they can get other iPhones. “Baby phones” sold hundreds of millions before the giants came so there’s a huge market for them.
    Small phones sold in the hundreds of millions before the giants came because that’s the only option people had. Once those giants came, that huge market was suddenly much smaller than hundreds of millions. “Before” is the operative word here. 

I’m not knocking small phones, or people that prefer small phones, or you. Just saying that that market is niche today.  
    edited December 2021 muthuk_vanalingammike1
  • Reply 11 of 11
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I'd be happy with something the size of the 6s+, as long as it has a home button and no stupid notch.  I'd rather the sides not do the annoying display to the edge thing either.

I don't particularly want a small phone.  I just don't want FaceID or a notch.

A headphone jack would be great too.