Apple debuts new Open Source website, will release projects on GitHub

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has launched a new website focused on its open-source projects and collaborations -- including Swift and WebKit -- and says it plans to release its projects on GitHub.

Apple's new Open Source website
Apple's new Open Source website

The new Open Source at Apple website features two main elements: a section for featured open source projects, and a separate section for open source releases.

Featured Projects details some of the open source projects that Apple leads. Additionally, it also features open source projects led by third-party organizations but contributed to by Apple engineers.

The Releases section will see Apple publishing the code used in various macOS, iOS, and Developer tools. Apple says, alongside the updated website, it will begin making its open source projects available as git repositories on Github.

Apple says it has a long history of participating and working with open source communities, as well as using open source projects. The company says that open source is "at the heart of Apple platforms and developer tools."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Something new is in the water at Apple Park.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The open source website is nothing new for Apple. This has always been there. It just wasn't really advertised to the public. Developers most likely knew it existed but I doubt much of the general public did. 
    MacsWithPenguinsdewmeAlex_V
  • Reply 3 of 6
    There have been a lot of open source projects maintained by Apple, for well over a decade and even longer than that (I just don’t have a timeline in my head to refer to right now). The fact they are promoting this now is promising, though. 

It could mean they are going to add something significant to the list of projects which weren’t published in the open previously. Perhaps it will be related to ARKit to try increase interest in their upcoming big push for AR, or when pigs starts flying: releasing a portable GUI toolkit to make it easier to build Swift GUI apps for Windows 11 on ARM64 and Linux aarch64 (something dull-looking and simplistic that doesn’t compete with the powerful AppKit and SwiftUI frameworks).
    edited December 2021 dewmeAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    There have been a lot of open source projects maintained by Apple, for well over a decade and even longer than that (I just don’t have a timeline in my head to refer to right now). The fact they are promoting this now is promising, though. 

It could mean they are going to add something significant to the list of projects which weren’t published in the open previously. Perhaps it will be related to ARKit to try increase interest in their upcoming big push for AR, or when pigs starts flying: releasing a portable GUI toolkit to make it easier to build Swift GUI apps for Windows 11 on ARM64 and Linux aarch64 (something dull-looking and simplistic that doesn’t compete with the powerful AppKit and SwiftUI frameworks).
    Swift-WUX - Web User eXperience would fit in that with the mix of current projects and it would help Apple offset Appstore concerns to bring back the focus on Web Apps as not just viable but maybe even a better way to deliver some experience to customers. Seems like something Google would be keen on making it a good open-source candidate. 
    dewmeAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I very much like some elements of open source and I’ve used various open source projects and applications over the last 20+ years, but I’ve always seen the purist form of the ‘movement’ as silly.

Besides projects here and there, an open source world is even less practical and realistic than the message of communism—sounds great in theory, but in real life it will eventually ruin everything.

So I’m never gagging to praise anyone for open source efforts simply because they’re open source. If those open source efforts directly lead to definable and practical betterment then I’ll praise those aspects, but I’d praise those aspects regardless of whether they came from open source or not.
    williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Just watch when it gets damaged by rogue engineers. The answer might be GitLab (vs. GitHub). Not enough evidence how people plugged bad stuff in source code on GitHub. Think twice.
    williamlondon