Employee COVID outbreak forces Apple to close Texas store

Posted:
in General Discussion
An Apple Store in Texas has shut down after 22 employees tested positive for Covid-19 in the wake of the busy Black Friday shopping weekend.

The Apple Store Southlake location.
The Apple Store Southlake location.

The Apple retail location, located in Southlake, Texas, will be shuttered from Wednesday, Dec. 8 through Sunday, Dec. 12 because of the coronavirus outbreak.

According to NBC News, the store reported four cases immediately after Black Friday. A few weeks later, there are now 22 positive cases among employees at the store. The brick-and-mortar store has 151 total staff members.

Reportedly, the employees who tested positive will return to work after 10 days of isolation and 48 hours of being symptom-free. All employees will need to take a rapid antigen test before the store's planned reopening on Monday, Dec. 13.

The Texas store outbreak suggests a breakdown of Apple's Covid-19 policies between Apple's corporate facilities and its brick-and-mortar retail footprint, NBC News suggests.

Employees at the Southlake store told the outlet that they haven't always been able to operate with the same level of caution that drove Apple to quickly shut down all of its retail operations in 2020.

For example, employees said that they received calls from their manager encouraging them to come to work even if they've called out sick.

Employees who worked on Black Friday describe a store that was packed "shoulder to shoulder" with people. Since Texas isn't mandating facial coverings, customers were not required to wear masks in the store.

Apple currently encourages employees to report their vaccination status. Earlier in 2021, it ramped up its Covid-19 testing among retail employees.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    What?  No masks?
    Well, Texans don't seem to think they work anyway...
    darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Employees who worked on Black Friday describe a store that was packed "shoulder to shoulder" with people. Since Texas isn't mandating facial coverings, customers were not required to wear masks in the store.
    Shocked. That only 22 workers tested positive. Damn shame that Apple didn't use common sense and institute its own COVID protocols to lessen the chance of an outbreak. With the holiday season in full effect, let's hope even more closings aren't necessary.
    williamlondondarkvaderbaconstang
  • Reply 3 of 19
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    If people do not follow the rules or implement standards, this virus WILL NEVER go., Oh well.  The country will go broke.
    williamlondonfred1darkvaderAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    KTR said:
    If people do not follow the rules or implement standards, this virus WILL NEVER go., Oh well.  The country will go broke.
    A member of the Illinois legislature has introduced a bill that would require non-vaccinated people hospitalized with Covid to pay the costs of their hospitalization out-of-pocket, whether they have insurance or not. Hit someone hard enough in the pocketbook is usually the only way to get their attention. The bill probably won’t get far but I think it’s a great idea to ‘encourage’ vaccinations.
    edited December 2021 StrangeDayswilliamlondonfred1darkvadertmaybaconstangAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    This is human stupidity at its finest.  The selfish, moronic, conspiracy-loving anti-vaxxers are putting people's live at risk.  They are just too stupid and ignorant to accept it.  I'm all for personal choice and keeping the government out of my body, but what's it going to take to get these people to understand that COVID is here to stay until they get vaccinated?! 

One can only hope that Darwin will take care of things, but even then... that's years down the road.
    williamlondondewmedarkvadertmaybaconstangAlex_V
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sflocal said:
    This is human stupidity at its finest.  The selfish, moronic, conspiracy-loving anti-vaxxers are putting people's live at risk.  They are just too stupid and ignorant to accept it.  I'm all for personal choice and keeping the government out of my body, but what's it going to take to get these people to understand that COVID is here to stay until they get vaccinated?! 

One can only hope that Darwin will take care of things, but even then... that's years down the road.
    Just goes to show how easily duped and hyper-partisan people are with their childishness masquerading as maturity in these putative adults, all of whom shamelessly demonstrate a complete lack of any critical thinking skills or a basic understanding of logic.

Death to empiricism and discourse!
    Alex_Vtoddzrx
  • Reply 7 of 19
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    sflocal said:

The vaccine does not stop you from spreading or getting covid.  It does lessen the effects if you get it.  So I fail to see how someone  who has concerns about the covid vaccines and is not vaccinated is any more at fault for the spread.  

Repeat:  The vaccine does not prevent the spread of covid.  It does lessen symptoms once you get it.  

(Yes I am vaccinated). 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamdewme
  • Reply 8 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    KTR said:
    Hopefully herd immunity will eventually win regardless of everything else going on 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    chadbag said:
    sflocal said:

The vaccine does not stop you from spreading or getting covid.  It does lessen the effects if you get it.  So I fail to see how someone  who has concerns about the covid vaccines and is not vaccinated is any more at fault for the spread.  

Repeat:  The vaccine does not prevent the spread of covid.  It does lessen symptoms once you get it.  

(Yes I am vaccinated). 

The chances of spreading the virus and getting sick don't just "lessen", they drop dramatically. If the virus cannot propagate in your body, the less chance there is of you passing it along to someone else before your own immune system can catch and neutralize it. Sure there is a slight chance you could potentially pass it along, but it's rather slim - nothing is 100% effective.
    williamlondonroundaboutnowdarkvaderdanoxtenthousandthingstmaybaconstangAlex_Vkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Texas……where a virus has reproductive rights but a woman doesn't!
    williamlondonroundaboutnowdarkvaderFileMakerFellerdanoxNYC362get serioustmaydewmebaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 19
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    chadbag said:
    sflocal said:

(Yes I am vaccinated). 

So, that's actually misinformation.

The mRNA vaccines virtually eliminate the chance that you will spread or get any pre-Delta variant of COVID.  They significantly reduce the chance that you will spread or get the Delta variant.  And it's too soon to know how well they work against Omicron, but it looks like efficacy of the first two doses is significantly diminished, but that it may be effective after you get your 6-month booster - but that's entirely preliminary at this point, expect it to change.
    baconstangAlex_V
  • Reply 12 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    Get the vaccine in memory of the march of dimes…..
    get serious
  • Reply 13 of 19
    chadbag said:
    sflocal said:

(Yes I am vaccinated). 
    Your reasoning is based on the assumption that vaccinated and unvaccinated people get COVID at the same rate. That is just false. As others have already said, it’s not slightly different, it’s massively different. 

I’ve heard this same thing recently in person, I guess it is the latest vector of disinformation. It involves a bit of sleight of hand, taking one proven fact (a vaccinated person with COVID can spread the virus), removing its context (vaccinated people are far less likely to get COVID), and using that as an excuse.
    tmaywilliamlondonbaconstangAlex_Vkingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Questions I want answered:

Because Apple has been pushing jabbinations hard, what portion of these employees who tested "positive" had already been "vaccinated"?

The assumption is being made these employees became positive because of contact with people in the store. How do we know this? 

What variants did these people test positive for, Covid Classic, Delta, or Omicron, and how do the testing protocols distinguish between the variants?

williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 19
    More pertinent questions:

How was it determined these employees tested positive for CV? What tests were used? What is the accuracy, reliability, and rate of false positives for the test?

How many of the "positive" employees, if any, have symptoms of illness?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 19
    KTR said:
    Dude: the virus isn’t going away, ever. 

lkrupp said:
    KTR said:
    A member of the Illinois legislature has introduced a bill that would require non-vaccinated people hospitalized with Covid to pay the costs of their hospitalization out-of-pocket, whether they have insurance or not. Hit someone hard enough in the pocketbook is usually the only way to get their attention. The bill probably won’t get far but I think it’s a great idea to ‘encourage’ vaccinations.
    I guess we should also require anyone who doesn’t drive a tank to and from work to pay their own hospital expenses when they are involved in a car accident, whether they have insurance or not. 

sflocal said:

In addition to all the comments above, I’d add that it’s interesting how you and others have immediately jumped to conclusions about the vaccination status of these Apple employees. And like I said at the top of this comment: this virus isn’t going away, ever. It’ll be just another flu strain to contend with every year. 

Texas……where a virus has reproductive rights but a woman doesn't!
    There are no such things as “reproductive rights”. Roe was based on a right to privacy.
    williamlondonregurgitatedcoprolite
  • Reply 17 of 19

"If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished, and criminalized;

"If all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance—you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest."

—Ian Watson

• Reply 18 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

"If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished, and criminalized;

"If all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance—you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest."

—Ian Watson

Somehow I doubt Ian Watkins was considering protests against a functional vaccine for a global pandemic that has killed millions. 
    “One thing that history teaches us is that we should never underestimate human stupidity,”
    -  Yuval Harari

edited December 2021 baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Odd.. the comment in the original article about mask wearing in the Apple store.

It's true that Texas doesn't require masks in public places... but individual business can.  And many do.  Including all the Apple Stores in the Houston area... they will not let you in the store without a mask. 
    Which leads me to believe that the customers were wearing masks the week(end) in question... although of course, there are more than enough assholes around that several probably took them off... and it's hard to enforce when the store is full/crowded.