MagSafe Charger firmware update now available

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2021
MagSafe Charger firmware version 247 (10M229) has been made available by Apple, though there are no known user-facing changes.

Apple released a MagSafe Charger firmware update
Apple released a MagSafe Charger firmware update

The MagSafe Charger is a simple device with some on-device intelligence for charging the iPhone at specific rates given certain information provided by the connection. Apple doesn't provide release notes for MagSafe Charger firmware updates so expect bug fixes and optimization.

The previous firmware version was 174 (9M5069), and the new version is 247 (10M229).

The new firmware is installed automatically for users, with no mechanism available to manually force an update. As long as the MagSafe Charger is connected to power and your iPhone the update should -- eventually -- install automatically.

How to check your MagSafe Charger firmware version

MagSafe Charger owners can check the current firmware for their device within the Settings app.
  1. Connect the MagSafe Charger

2. Open the Settings App

3. Select General

4. Select About

5. Scroll down and select the MagSafe Charger

6. A menu will appear showing relevant device information
Read on AppleInsider
right_said_fred

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    “MagSafe Charger has Firmware” there you go fixed that headline for ya
    Japheytwokatmewllama
  • Reply 2 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    What other mystery devices contain firmware? My MagSafe wallet, perhaps?
    twokatmew
  • Reply 3 of 11
    You can plug it into a iPad Pro and it will update also.  For some reason it did not update while attached to my iPhone for 30 min.  Have read plugging it into Mac also works.
    right_said_fredcaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Plugging into Mac worked for me. In less than 3 minutes the firmware version changed to a new one. Just attaching to iPhone did not work. It sit there for 30 minutes without success. 
    right_said_fredcaladanian
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Do not believe it is possible for it to update just attached to iPhone the more I think about it.  Mine had original firmware 171 on it and 174 was available and over months it never updated to it.

Think it must be attached to computer or iPad to update.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Plugging into Mac worked for me. In less than 3 minutes the firmware version changed to a new one. Just attaching to iPhone did not work. It sit there for 30 minutes without success. 
    Yes in fact for me as soon as I did this the MagSafe adapter “reset” for 30 seconds and then came back (I had phone attached after I had plugged into my macbook) and it was instantly updated to latest firmware 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    rjacobson said:
    Yes in fact for me as soon as I did this the MagSafe adapter “reset” for 30 seconds and then came back (I had phone attached after I had plugged into my macbook) and it was instantly updated to latest firmware

Hi, everybody. This actually worked with my iPad Pro. I plugged in the MagSafe Charger, not attached to my iPhone 13 Pro Max. I left it connected for about 15 minutes, and when I reconnected it to the iPhone and adapter, it was running the new firmware. That sure worked well.

Now, I also have a MagSafe Battery Pack, That has not worked out as well. I watched a video on YouTube about the Airpods and MagSafe updates. The instructions for the Battery Pack were simply to plug an adapter into the Battery Pack, mount it to your iPhone, and then  wait a few minutes (like the ones for the charger). Been trying this since last night, and it's not working. I even tried to plug into my iPad, and that didn't seem to work either.

Anyone had any experience with getting your Battery Pack firmware updated? 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Is this just for the standalone, corded charger Apple makes or is this for anything with the official MagSafe module in it? I have that MagSafe Duo charger as well as two different model Belkin MagSafe chargers. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 9 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    My phone has been on the charger most of the day because it's handy,  and it was on v.174. I plugged the MagSafe into my MBA and in the time it took me to open the phone and get to Settings/About/MagSafe it was at v.274.

WTF.

I wish this was an option with updating AirPods. It took a really long time for my AirPods 2 to update. I have no idea what my G3s should be.
    caladanian
  • Reply 10 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jfc, does everything need to have firmware?  It's a charger.

Sick of this proliferation.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    It didn’t update to the new firmware when connected to a MacBook Pro under Big Sur 11.6.2, but nearly instantly when connected to a different MacBook Pro under Monterey 12.1:

The charging stopped and the mag safe vanished from settings>general>about to reappear about 30 seconds later. :smile: