Apple's macOS Monterey 12.1 update with SharePlay and charging fixes has arrived

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2021
Apple has released macOS 12.1, the first major point release to macOS Monterey that includes support for the company's SharePlay feature and other new additions.

Apple's macOS Monterey 12.1 update on a MacBook Pro.
Apple's macOS Monterey 12.1 update on a MacBook Pro.

The macOS Monterey 12.1 update is currently available to download on supported Macs. Users can find the software update by clicking on the Apple icon in the top menu bar and selecting About This Mac.

The macOS 12.1 update introduces SharePlay support to the Mac. The feature, attached to FaceTime, allows users to share media with their friends and families. For example, users on a Group FaceTime call have the ability to simultaneously view videos and device screens, or listen to music together.

Along with the new Mac features, macOS 12.1 also brings a number of bug fixes, security updates, and under-the-hood improvements to macOS Monterey.

Apple first released macOS Monterey in late October. The update included a number of new features for the Mac, including Shortcuts support, a number of significant updates to Safari, and the ability to select text within images.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Wow, today is updates for everything. In addition to Monterey I received updates for Big Sur and Catalina. In fact, Catalina had two updates, one for macOS and another for hardware support. Then there’s iPhone, iPad, Apple TV HD and 4K, HomePod, and Apple Watch. AirPods Pro updated over the weekend. 

Gigs and gigs of shiny new Apple software streaming into my home. Once the dust settles I’ll have to see what it all does and gaze upon the pile of dead bug carcasses that Apple has left in the wake of all these new updates. 
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dewme said:
    Wow, today is updates for everything. In addition to Monterey I received updates for Big Sur and Catalina. In fact, Catalina had two updates, one for macOS and another for hardware support. Then there’s iPhone, iPad, Apple TV HD and 4K, HomePod, and Apple Watch. AirPods Pro updated over the weekend. 

Gigs and gigs of shiny new Apple software streaming into my home. Once the dust settles I’ll have to see what it all does and gaze upon the pile of dead bug carcasses that Apple has left in the wake of all these new updates. 
    log4j has them all worked up.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    So what’s the charging fix? You’d think if they put it in the headline they’d a have at least one sentence in the actual article. I think my 7th grader just learned that in her English class
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MplsP said:
    So what’s the charging fix? You’d think if they put it in the headline they’d a have at least one sentence in the actual article. I think my 7th grader just learned that in her English class
    There is a problem with charging the new Macbook Pros while they are fully shut down due to a completely discharged battery.  This fixes it.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 5 of 5
    When a headline feature of an OS release is Shareplay, you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Great with bugfixes, though :)
    williamlondon