App Store version of Xcode 13.2 causing problems for developers

Posted:
in General Discussion
A bug in the Mac App Store version of Xcode 13.2 is causing problems for developers, who are reporting package errors and issues with compiling projects.

Xcode 13.2 has a bug on specific versions
Xcode 13.2 has a bug on specific versions

Apple released Xcode version 13.2 on Monday alongside iOS 15.2 and other software updates. However, some developers began noticing a bug in the version available from the Mac App Store.

One developer noticed that the new version of Xcode made their Swift packages unavailable. Additionally, the developer added that Xcode wouldn't compile anything.

uhhhh, Xcode 13.2 nuked the swift packages from all my projects and now won't compile anything?? the packages are still listed in the project dependency settings, but..... pic.twitter.com/AhMmDKr04A

-- Chad Etzel (@jazzychad)

Apple has acknowledged the issue in the Xcode 13.2 release notes, stating that developers who are using Swift packages as standalone or dependencies may run into a failure during package resolution.

The Xcode 13.2 update includes software development kits for iOS 15.2, iPadOS 15.2, tvOS 15.2, watchOS 8.3, and macOS Monterey 12.1 and allows for on-device debugging on iOS 9 and later.

It appears that the issues are only affecting the Xcode 13.2 update from the Mac App Store. The version of Xcode available directly from Apple's developer portal isn't impacted.

Apple says it is investigating the issue, but there's currently no timeline on a fix.

Developers who haven't updated yet should download Xcode 13.2 from the Apple Developer website.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Yep... it's happening
  • Reply 2 of 7
    But the Apple Developer site just sends you to the App store. Unless you're downloading the latest Beta...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ralphbu said:
    But the Apple Developer site just sends you to the App store. Unless you're downloading the latest Beta...
    You can go to the "More" section to download the .xip file directly.
    maltzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I know of absolutely no professional developers who download Xcode via the App Store - it’s usually guaranteed to be a cluster updating the app from there.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I know of absolutely no professional developers who download Xcode via the App Store - it’s usually guaranteed to be a cluster updating the app from there.
    Hey, I have 6 machines/test beds, not to mention dual boot partitions on them, and I cache my download from the App Store for all 6, where I only have to download ONCE, then when the beta comes out switch to the dual boot which has latest beta OS and latest beta Xcode? so IDK...

But for the Default Daily Driver Setup, with Home-brew and "current" CLTs, and with open source even, I have to be like "everyone else."
    Unless I go into Beta Test Mode.

I must be doing something wrong...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    In short, students of Swift are screwed, especially if they’re trying to finish a project before the end of the semester. It’s interesting that the assumption made by many is that this flub has no meaningful consequences and disregard the fact that anyone building a skill set starts at a low level at some point and derailing the person at the low point of skill building has long term consequences. Hopefully Apple corrects this before the end of the week, so the only long term consequence will be that students will hold off on updating until the end of their projects when such updates arise in their future. I’m in the process of learning Swift on my own, and fortunately haven’t run this update; butI can only imagine the stress and anxiety of Xcode nuking a semester final project a week & a half before the due date, if I were still a university student.
    beowulfschmidtrezwits
  • Reply 7 of 7
    longpath said:
    In short, students of Swift are screwed, especially if they’re trying to finish a project before the end of the semester. It’s interesting that the assumption made by many is that this flub has no meaningful consequences and disregard the fact that anyone building a skill set starts at a low level at some point and derailing the person at the low point of skill building has long term consequences. Hopefully Apple corrects this before the end of the week, so the only long term consequence will be that students will hold off on updating until the end of their projects when such updates arise in their future. I’m in the process of learning Swift on my own, and fortunately haven’t run this update; butI can only imagine the stress and anxiety of Xcode nuking a semester final project a week & a half before the due date, if I were still a university student.
    I'm biting my tongue on the discussion of updating software when there's a deadline looming. Agreed though that Apple dropped the ball big time on the App Store release of Xcode 13.2.

If time is of the essence, don't rely on Apple fixing this before the end of the week - that's something you have zero control over.
    What you do have control over are the workarounds: 
    • Revert back to Xcode 13.1 
    - or - 
    • The Apple-published workaround of downloading Xcode 13.2 from developer.apple.com instead of the App Store. The installation process is: delete your existing Xcode 13.2.app by opening Launchpad and dragging Xcode to the trash, double click on the downloaded xip file (extracts it to Xcode.app in the same folder), then move the resulting Xcode.app to the /Applications folder.  As @indieshack says, it's a much easier and faster install than the painful and slow App Store installation process.
    Both should get you back up and running within hours.
    edited December 2021