Some Mac users not receiving macOS 12.1 download prompt

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2021
Some users are now reporting that they are unable to see the macOS 12.1 update on their M1 Macs.

On Monday, Apple released an update for macOS Monterey 12.1, which brought SharePlay, Hide My Email, Apple Music Voice, alongside the usual battery of bug fixes.

However, as 9to5Mac has pointed out, not everyone is seeing the update. Certain users, specifically those with M1 Macs, are not prompted to download the update when viewing System Preferences.

The issue was also reported on Reddit's r/MacOS board, with users saying that it seems to affect some M1 Mac users, but not others.

Additionally, Microsoft Senior Cloud Developer Advocate Christina Warren reports that downloading the installer from the Mac App Store stalls out halfway through. Other users have verified this issue, leaving affected users without an easy workaround.

Yeah, it won't even load -- and downloading the installer got me stuck at 52 minute mark. Sigh.

-- Christina Warren (@film_girl)

Reddit posters have suggested that particularly impatient users suffering from the issue can boot into Recovery and reinstall macOS. The Recovery tool will download the latest version of macOS. AppleInsider recommends that users ensure that they have a current backup should they use the Recovery tool method.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Command-R no longer triggers a refresh in Software Update

Clicking on Advanced then OK seems to do the trick
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Mine showed it, then I got an error message. After that, it showed up to date at 12.0.1.

EDIT: Clicking Advanced allowed it to update, as Stuartf mentioned. 

13" M1 MPB

edited December 2021
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'm seeing this issue on 2 M1 MacMinis and 1 M1 MBAir
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Being in the public beta, I already have the 12.1 RC2 version, which is likely the same as the final build.

These kind of download issues aren't exactly new, though: updating an iDevice or a Mac the same day as the update comes out is guaranteed to make you compete with a lot of other people wanting to update at the same time. This will probably settle itself within a day or two, if history is any indication.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Being in the public beta, I already have the 12.1 RC2 version, which is likely the same as the final build.

These kind of download issues aren't exactly new, though: updating an iDevice or a Mac the same day as the update comes out is guaranteed to make you compete with a lot of other people wanting to update at the same time. This will probably settle itself within a day or two, if history is any indication.
    Exactly. I wonder if it isn’t a server capacity management issue. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Only thing that worked after several days was to 9to5's suggestion: open the pref pane for update, launch terminal and kill the "...brain..." process for the update service, once to get it to see the update and again to have it complete the download.  After that it progressed as usual.  That was only on a MBA M1, another M1 Mini and any of our campus Intel iMacs were trouble free.