What the Latest, Greatest FREE peer-to-peer?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been cursed with Limewire for a year, I've tried Caracho and Acquisition. I'd like a peer-to-peer program like KaZaa, but Kazaa is only available for Mac if $14.95 is handed over.

Is there another alternative that uses the kazaa/gnutella/etc.. sources for a greater acess to MP3s & MPGs?

I ask this because EVERY peer-to-peer for PC is better. I want access to the PC network for the very reason that there are more MPGs and MP3s.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Direct Connect.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My vote goes to Aquisition.

It doesn't offer as many shared files as Kazaa, but the interface is much, much better than any other client I've ever tried. Liked it so much, I actually sent in the shareware fee.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I know its not exactly peer to peer ( Is Aquisition or Limewire?) but if its file sharing your after....try Haxial's KDX. It takes a while to establish an address book of reliable servers, but once that's done its great software.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mox358mox358 Posts: 21member
    "but Kazaa is only available for Mac if $14.95 is handed over."

?? how did i miss this? i would pay $15 for kazaa... simply because i know how much content is available. but i never heard of kazaa releasing an official OSX port. there were some scams out there, are you sure that this isn't one of them?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macinphile

but Kazaa is only available for Mac if $14.95 is handed over.

There is NO full KaZaA client for Mac. The page that's out on the net that says you can buy a copy for $15 is a scam. it doesn't exist.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Acquisition is excellent. If you haven't tried it in a while, it's worth checking out again.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Acquisition is excellent. If you haven't tried it in a while, it's worth checking out again.

I find that Direct Connect and Aquisition are both excellent. YMMV.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Any opinions of Neo? It's advertised as a Kazaa client I believe.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Xnap or even better eDonkey.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PaulP

Any opinions of Neo? It's advertised as a Kazaa client I believe.

It's not a *real* KaZaA client. It never contacts the "home" servers to make search queries. It's impossible, so far, for any third party clients to make real searches because the KaZaA network makes encrypted connections to the home servers that no one has found a way to crack.

Neo uses brute force to probe every single IP on the network in a range that you give it. When it finds a computer with KaZaA's port open, it attempts to download a list of files from that computer. To do a search you have to either download an exsting list of active computers or wait a number of hours for your computer to probe the internet for active computers. Note that downloading a list from elsewhere means you'll get a ist from some time ago. Many of the compuers that were online in that IP range will have shut off and some more may have activated that aren't included in the list.

This makes for a very cumbersome search and uses a LOT of bandwidth to scan the network. Furthermore, this continual probing is consider VERY bad net etiquette and may even get you a warning from your ISP.