LG unveils new 27-inch OLED Pro display that could rival Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2021
LG has unveiled the next iteration of its UltraFine OLED Pro monitor lineup for 2022, and it includes a lower-cost 27-inch display option, which could make the lineup's pro features more affordable.

LG's UltraFine OLED Pro monitors
LG's UltraFine OLED Pro monitors

The display maker unveiled its first UltraFine OLED Pro displays earlier in 2021. At the time, the monitor was one of a handful of ultra-high-resolution displays competing in the mid-range professional market occupied by the Pro Display XDR.

Now, the company is adding a new 27-inch option to its UltraFine OLED Pro lineup. While the smaller option will have generally the same resolution and color gamut as its larger stablemate, it's likely to be much more affordable.

Like its 32-inch counterpart, the 27-inch UltraFine LG Pro packs professional-grade features, such as self-lighting pixels, a resolution of 3840 x 2160, 10-bit color, 99% DCI-P3 and a 1 million:1 contrast ratio, and hardware calibration options.

The biggest update to the 32-inch model is the addition of a color calibration sensor, as well as LG's Calibration Studio software -- two things also included with the 27-inch model. While LG hasn't revealed pricing yet, the 32-inch model from earlier in 2021 cost around $4,000.

According to Engadget, the 2021 32-inch UltraFine OLED rivaled Apple's own Pro Display XDR, but came with some tradeoffs. The LG display, for example, has better contrast, perfect blacks, and zero blaming because of individually illuminated pixels.

Apple's display is better-suited for tasks like HDR color grading because of its much higher brightness.

However, the new 27-inch model will likely occupy a lower tier of the mid-range for users who want professional features in a more affordable package. Apple doesn't currently have a first-party display over in that range.

There are rumors that Apple is working on its own lower-cost display, likely in the 27-inch size range. On Thursday, a report suggested that LG was developing a number of monitors for Apple that could include a Pro Display XDR successor, as well as two new displays in a 24-inch and 27-inch configuration.

If you can't wait for the new model, you can get an LG 32-inch 4K OLED UltraFine display for $3,999 at B&H and Amazon.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    "perfect blacks, and zero blaming because of individually illuminated pixels."
    I understand some folks want to blame somebody, including the pixel next-door, but do you actually mean "Blooming"?
    aderuttermike1williamlondontokyojimuwatto_cobrathtapplguytyler82
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Why no mention of the resolution? 4K vs 6k!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hucom2000 said:
    Because paid articles?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    hucom2000 said:
    It’s in the article:

Like its 32-inch counterpart, the 27-inch UltraFine LG Pro packs professional-grade features, such as self-lighting pixels, a resolution of 3840 x 2160, 10-bit color, 99% DCI-P3 and a 1 million:1 contrast ratio, and hardware calibration options.

charlesatlas
  • Reply 5 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    I really want OLED but my biggest concern is burn in with menu bars and dock icons and its relatively short lifespan. I've seen too many complaints from developers who note burn ins on their OLED TVs. 

I don't care for HDR. I don't need bright screens. I actually prefer OLED as they're not too bright and they're extremely accurate with colors and blacks are much deeper. 

But again, I'll just hold off any monitor purchases until microLED comes out which should address all my concerns. 

• Reply 6 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    macOS needs way more work on Split View & Mission control for multiple displays. Right now iPadOS is better at Split View management.
    TRAG
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Checked the link on my iPhone and it gave me the Canadian website but here are the ports. 
    • USB Type-C™ (PD 90W), DisplayPortx2, HDMI, USBx3
    Odd it doesn’t have a USB-C/TB hub going with DisplayPort instead. I was thinking about using it with my M1 MBA so I’d continue to need a bunch of docks and hubs to connect drives. Still a possibility. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    netrox said:
    I really want OLED but my biggest concern is burn in with menu bars and dock icons and its relatively short lifespan. I've seen too many complaints from developers who note burn ins on their OLED TVs. 

I don't care for HDR. I don't need bright screens. I actually prefer OLED as they're not too bright and they're extremely accurate with colors and blacks are much deeper. 

But again, I'll just hold off any monitor purchases until microLED comes out which should address all my concerns. 

Lifespan alone will means no use for professionals.  There's Eizo ColorEdge which is a FALD IPS but solves most of these issues on your typical ones.  Downside being extremely expensive & they only sold to studios.
    https://www.eizo.com/products/coloredge/cg3146/

I also don't see how OLED is more "color accurate" and have many issues on its own like black crush.  Don't think they're mature enough even to this point and mini LED are still competitive.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    rob53 said:
    Checked the link on my iPhone and it gave me the Canadian website but here are the ports. 
    Odd it doesn’t have a USB-C/TB hub going with DisplayPort instead. I was thinking about using it with my M1 MBA so I’d continue to need a bunch of docks and hubs to connect drives. Still a possibility. 
    Yup, that's the problem with Apple not shipping a Thunderbolt Display successor. Display OEMs really aren't shipping displays with great port options, and you are left with a cabling and dongle mess, and a mismatch of DPI between laptop display and external display. A TB3 Apple Display with miniLED, TB3, USBC, Ethernet, SDcard, front cam, microphone and speakers is a one cable plug-n-play solution for a laptop with a minimum of cabling and dongles.

The LG UF27 is basically the "best" option for a laptop where you are using both the laptop display and the external display at the same time, or an iMac and an external display at the same time.
    rob53
  • Reply 10 of 12
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    tht said:
    rob53 said:
    Yup, that's the problem with Apple not shipping a Thunderbolt Display successor. Display OEMs really aren't shipping displays with great port options, and you are left with a cabling and dongle mess, and a mismatch of DPI between laptop display and external display. A TB3 Apple Display with miniLED, TB3, USBC, Ethernet, SDcard, front cam, microphone and speakers is a one cable plug-n-play solution for a laptop with a minimum of cabling and dongles.

The LG UF27 is basically the "best" option for a laptop where you are using both the laptop display and the external display at the same time, or an iMac and an external display at the same time.
    What's the price range you'd want them to be?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    OLED is trash, Apple so far doesn’t use it on Laptops, iMac’s, iPad Pro’s or the XDR monitors. 

Problems:

Burnin
    Lifespan (limited lifetime of the organic materials used to build it) see link below.
    Color balance (in accurate colors)
    Efficiency of color blue color OLEDs
    Water damage
    Outdoor performance
    Power consumption (when producing the color white)
    Screen flicker

But its cheaper like VHS…..:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED#Disadvantages

Note Apple uses OLED on the iPhone, to bad for the end user (more upgrades?)

edited December 2021
  • Reply 12 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    OLED TV is OK because you don't use keep it ON like OLED computer monitor, so burned-in issue is less severe with TV than monitor. Samsung claims to bring TV tech OD-OLED in 2022 but I am sure it will have the same burned-in issue. Mini-LED and future Micro-LED is the better longer term display solution.