YouTube TV loses Disney networks as Google fails to make a deal

Posted:
in General Discussion
YouTube TV subscribers are no longer able to watch Disney-owned networks on the streaming service, after Google failed to make a new deal with the media giant before Friday's deadline.

Users of YouTube TV using the service on Saturday will see that a number of channels have disappeared from the roster. The channels, including ESPN, ABC, FX, and National Geographic, are pulled for subscribers, due to Google and Disney negotiations failing to progress to a deal.

The blackout is due to an inability for the two companies to meet in the middle, in order to renew an agreement concerning the content. While the two are still supposedly continuing talks on the matter, the channels are no longer watchable on YouTube TV.

As a result of the loss of channels, Google has reduced the cost of its monthly bundle by $15, from $64.99 to $49.99, at least while the content is unavailable. In a blog post, Google also points out that users who want the lost channels can still get them as part of The Disney Bundle, a $13.99 package Disney itself offers.

According to Google, the issue seems to stem from how much Disney is demanding to be paid for the deal, with Google believing the offered terms are too expensive. "Our ask to Disney, as with all our partners, is to treat YouTube TV like any other TV provider - by offering us the same rates that services of a similar size pay, across Disney's channels for as long as we carry them," writes the search giant.

"If Disney offers us equitable terms, we'll renew our agreement," Google claims.

Disney takes the view that Google has caused the problem, as it has "declined to reach a fair deal with us based on market terms and conditions." It too claims "We stand ready to reach an equitable agreement with Google as quickly as possible in order to minimize the inconvenience to YouTube TV viewers by restoring our networks. We hope Google will join us in that effort."

The list of channels affected by the blackout includes:
  • ABC News Live
  • ABC local channels
  • ACC Network
  • Disney Channel
  • Disney Junior
  • Disney XD
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPN3
  • ESPNEWS
  • ESPNU
  • Freeform
  • FX
  • FXM
  • FXX
  • National Geographic
  • National Geographic Wild
  • SEC Network
Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I didn’t even know there was a YouTube TV. 
    baconstangwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    This article would do well to point out that this dispute isn’t quite as simple as it first appears, because Disney competes directly with YouTube TV via Hulu + Live TV. 

This affects me. We have Disney+ and ESPN+ as an annual bundle, but we didn’t get Hulu + Live TV because we have YouTube TV, which we’ve had for a long time and found to be reliable and problem-free.

Note that ESPN+ does not provide live ESPN or ESPN2 and their siblings, or the SEC and ACC sports networks. So we’re cut off from that. You have to sign in via your live TV provider to get that inside the ESPN app. Same for ABC.

So my options are to switch to another provider, or wait for this to be resolved. If I switch, it won’t be to Hulu, even though that makes the most sense. I’ll be damned if I’ll reward this behavior.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    And guess where all those channels live? In Hulu. Owned by Disney. With the college football bowl season now here, among other sports, those who really want to watch those will head right to Hulu. Not to mention the other programming being missed. Checkmate. 
    watto_cobrascstrrfravnorodom
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I'm also on Youtube TV and "affected" by the blackout.  However, going to Hulu w/ Live TV simply isn't an option for me, because I was originally on it, but when I switched to T-Mobile Home Internet, Hulu w/ Live TV conflicted with it.  They can't "reconcile" what the IP Address shows (via T-Mobile Home Internet) versus what my physical address actually is.  Youtube TV works with T-Mobile Home Internet, so I switched to it.  I'm now hoping this dispute get's resolved before January 1st, since that's when the Iowa Hawkeyes play in their Bowl Game.  Any service I do end up adding, temporarily, to get the Bowl Game(s) would still need to work with T-Mobile Home Internet.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Oh how I long for the days of rabbit ears and a piece of aluminum foil to watch television.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I'm also on Youtube TV and "affected" by the blackout.  However, going to Hulu w/ Live TV simply isn't an option for me, because I was originally on it, but when I switched to T-Mobile Home Internet, Hulu w/ Live TV conflicted with it.  They can't "reconcile" what the IP Address shows (via T-Mobile Home Internet) versus what my physical address actually is.  Youtube TV works with T-Mobile Home Internet, so I switched to it.  I'm now hoping this dispute get's resolved before January 1st, since that's when the Iowa Hawkeyes play in their Bowl Game.  Any service I do end up adding, temporarily, to get the Bowl Game(s) would still need to work with T-Mobile Home Internet.
    Sling is having a “sale” for a month in response to this, so you can use the $15 YTTV discount to get Sling Orange for $10 to get all the live Disney/ESPN stuff (ABC Sports streams on ESPN3, so if the Iowa bowl game is on ABC, it will stream on ESPN3), and basically save $5. 

Long-term, Fubo is a good option, at least until Disney decides to screw them, too.
    edited December 2021 watto_cobrascstrrfapplguy
  • Reply 7 of 24
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Disney doesn’t need Google or Apple from a content standpoint, I’m surprise they even bothered to have any deal with Google, Disney in the future should be pursuing a vertical approach to the Internet (tech-server computing), by cutting out the tech middlemen…  
    watto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Disney (the "all spice and everything nice" gang) wants to force YTTV subscribers to switch to Hulu... what an underhanded strategy on the backs of YTTV subscribers.

To hell with Disney & Hulu ... who needs to do business with these greedy scoundrels?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Nikon8 said:
    I didn’t even know there was a YouTube TV. 
    It is surprisingly possibly the biggest lineup for a streaming-only service. I switched to it when Google dropped their Fiber TV service. I did some research and it had the most comparable channel listing compared to what I was losing. The "DVR" is a pretty good setup with unlimited "storage" (the "recordings" are kept on Google's servers but you can access them from any compatible device for 9 months after they are recorded, and there is no limit on how much you record. You could potentially set everything to record if you don't mind your list of recordings being nearly impossible to navigate. YouTube TV does not require any of Google's hardware to watch it, and can be viewed using a lot of different platforms.
    watto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Yep, saw the message on my YouTube TV today. I don’t like that I can’t watch ABC News or even my local news on ABC but I’ll be damned if I going to switch providers over it. I don’t care about College Football and the Patriots don’t air on ABC. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Yep, saw the message on my YouTube TV today. I don’t like that I can’t watch ABC News or even my local news on ABC but I’ll be damned if I going to switch providers over it. I don’t care about College Football and the Patriots don’t air on ABC. 
    I don’t care either.  It will be back anyway.  
  • Reply 12 of 24
    sdw2001 said:
    I don’t care either.  It will be back anyway.  
    Nah, the Disney channels won't be back especially when Hulu+ Live is competing directly with YouTubeTV. 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    joejazz said:
    Disney (the "all spice and everything nice" gang) wants to force YTTV subscribers to switch to Hulu... what an underhanded strategy on the backs of YTTV subscribers.

To hell with Disney & Hulu ... who needs to do business with these greedy scoundrels?

I’m more upset with Amazon refusing to integrate Prime with the Apple TV app in international markets. At least Disney doesn’t randomly skip on features. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    I have YouTube TV and Hulu and Disney.
    I was thinking of dropping Hulu anyway because I just don't watch it.
    I can live without the ABC / Disney Stuff.

I will stick with YouTube TV and if they cut my cost down by $15 as they stated, then I say let ABC/Disney go permanently.
    I'll be fine with CBS and NBC.

TV is changing and some of these content providers need to get with the program.

• Reply 15 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This article would do well to point out that this dispute isn’t quite as simple as it first appears, because Disney competes directly with YouTube TV via Hulu + Live TV. 

This affects me. We have Disney+ and ESPN+ as an annual bundle, but we didn’t get Hulu + Live TV because we have YouTube TV, which we’ve had for a long time and found to be reliable and problem-free.

Note that ESPN+ does not provide live ESPN or ESPN2 and their siblings, or the SEC and ACC sports networks. So we’re cut off from that. You have to sign in via your live TV provider to get that inside the ESPN app. Same for ABC.

So my options are to switch to another provider, or wait for this to be resolved. If I switch, it won’t be to Hulu, even though that makes the most sense. I’ll be damned if I’ll reward this behavior.
    I have Hulu and the Disney+ package through Amazon Prime for a very reasonable fee, I hope that won't be affected in the future.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    As a result of the loss of channels, Google has reduced the cost of its monthly bundle by $15, from $64.99 to $49.99, at least while the content is unavailable. In a blog post, Google also points out that users who want the lost channels can still get them as part of The Disney Bundle, a $13.99 package Disney itself offers.
    So your option is to add The Disney Bundle and save a buck.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    There’s always the option to watch less TV …
  • Reply 18 of 24
    fahlman said:
    So your option is to add The Disney Bundle and save a buck.
    Nope — The Disney Bundle (with ESPN+) doesn’t include access to ESPN ESPN2 ESPNU and ABC Sports programming.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I wish there was a way to keep this permanent! I don’t have anything against Disney (family loves the Marvel movies), but 25% of my TV costs going to one company seems excessive. Keep them off and I’ll subscribe to Disney+/ESPN whenever I need it. Seems that Disney will be the loser if that’s what happens.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Having read their "public comments/claims" regarding what each side wants, it sounds to me that Youtube TV is the more reasonable, with them apparently requesting/wanting to pay the same rate as any other provider their "size", while Disney seems to want "what they view as reasonable" for their content offering.  On the other hand, it seems like Disney has most, if not all of the leverage, because ESPN basically has most, if not all*, of the Bowl Games coming up, over the next couple of weeks, including the College Football Playoffs.

* - I'm aware there's at least one Bowl Game broadcast on CBS, but I think that's the exception for the Bowl Games' Broadcaster(s).