Apple shares behind-the-scenes look at Tom Hanks original film 'Finch'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ has shared a short clip giving viewers a behind-the-scenes look at how Tom Hanks-led film "Finch" was produced.

Finch behind the scenes
Finch behind the scenes

The eight-minute clip, posted to YouTube on Friday, features Hanks and other members of the film's crew explaining some of the details that went into filming "Finch."

Some of the topics covered in the clip include costume design, filming, and the creation of Hanks' companion robot.

"Finch," a post-apocalyptic sci-fi film starring Hanks as a robotics engineer, premiered on Apple TV+ on Nov. 5.

"Tom Hanks is Finch, a man who embarks on a moving and powerful journey to find a new home for his unlikely family-- his beloved dog and a newly created robot-- in a dangerous and ravaged world," Apple says of the film.

The film is the second original movie fronted by Hanks to appear on Apple TV+. Earlier in 2021, wartime drama "Greyhound" also debuted on the platform.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Something was missing in this film, but what EXACTLY, I dunno.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    We loved it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It has no main antagonist or drama outside of occasional weather events, it's one of those type of movies described as heartfelt, endearing, subdued, humble. A single character who is old, alone and dying in an almost empty world with nothing but a dog and clumsy robot for companions. Some will find it boring, for others a pleasant watch for introspection. I think Tom Hanks is always worth watching in movies but this story isn't going to appeal to everyone so it's best to go in with the right expectations. The trailer gives the impression that the movie has more drama than it does, it's a slow, sad story about the inevitability of an old man dying, his humanity and legacy with some light comedy along the way.

Sometimes movies like these with a sad ending leave an uplifting sentiment such as an enduring legacy but this movie leaves with the dog and robot, neither or which can reasonably fulfil this so I think it ends up just being quite sad. It's not an escape from the pandemic blues for sure but its emotional story will appeal to some. I don't think they could have added much to it, it told the story it set out to. I hope Apple continues to invest in more movies with Tom Hanks, they will cumulatively add a lot of value to Apple TV.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

It was basically "Thelma & Louise" or "buddies on a road trip" movie with one of the buddies being a robot. I enjoyed it nonetheless, like I do most Tom Hanks movies.

We're definitely living in a quantity over quality era, or at least that's the way I see it. A massive volume but with so little depth. Maybe we can call it the Netflix Effect, when in all fairness a lot of the better material imho is coming from the streamers like Netflix, Hulu, and Apple TV+. You do have to sort through a ton of chaff to find the wheat.

This film wasn't chaff by any means, but it was a bit formulaic, as was Greyhound. But that's just what happens when you roll out the pizza crust plot to such an extreme thinness and then layer on a bunch of CGI toppings to try to make it more appealing. In my opinion, that's what was "missing" from this formulaic film, a thick, chewy, and filling plot that you could sink your teeth into and wrap your head around. It wasn't a meal, it was a snack.
    edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:

It was basically "Thelma & Louise" or "buddies on a road trip" movie with one of the buddies being a robot. I enjoyed it nonetheless, like I do most Tom Hanks movies.

We're definitely living in a quantity over quality era, or at least that's the way I see it. A massive volume but with so little depth. Maybe we can call it the Netflix Effect, when in all fairness a lot of the better material imho is coming from the streamers like Netflix, Hulu, and Apple TV+. You do have to sort through a ton of chaff to find the wheat.

This film wasn't chaff by any means, but it was a bit formulaic, as was Greyhound. But that's just what happens when you roll out the pizza crust plot to such an extreme thinness and then layer on a bunch of CGI toppings to try to make it more appealing. In my opinion, that's what was "missing" from this formulaic film, a thick, chewy, and filling plot that you could sink your teeth into and wrap your head around. It wasn't a meal, it was a snack.
    Personally, I prefer films about (worthwhile) characters and their successes and failures rather than those with "a thick, chewy, and filling plot".   The former I can watch over and over.   The latter gets one viewing - maybe.

I think that's what sets Ted Laso, CODA and Acapulco apart -- they are about the characters.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    2 hours of my life that I will never get back.
    williamlondon