Prince Charles, Jony Ive discuss Terra Carta's sustainability push

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2021
Former Apple design chief Jony Ive has talked about the creation of the Terra Carta in a conversation with the UK's Prince Charles, including the environmental message of the project and the production of its seal.

The UK's Prince Charles has talked about his collaboration with former Apple design chief Jony Ive on the "Terra Carta," praising Ive for "brilliantly" encapsulating the nature theme of the seal.

Prince Charles' Terra Carta environmental initiative revealed its official seal in November, one that was made in collaboration with Ive's LoveFrom design studio. In a conversation about the Terra Carta Design Lab in November, Charles complimented Ive's studio on its work so far.

The Terra Carta Seal is intended as a paper and digital award bestowed to companies that are leading efforts to create sustainable markets. It's part of the Terra Carta charter that aims to create a sustainable future through the participation of private corporations.

Speaking at Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum during COP26, Prince Charles and Ive were on stake to talk about Terra Carta, the video from Wallpaper reveals.

"What really has driven [the Terra Carta] is the fact that finally, after some 40 years of trying to raise awareness about all these issues, and trying to bring a whole series of people together, particularly from the business sector to get them to understand more and more about the need for sustainability, one of the things we could never really do was get the financial services sector to take it seriously," said the UK royal.

On being told by Prince Charles about the aims of the initiative, Ive said "When His Royal Highness was describing the Terra Carta, I was hugely struck by the fact that in spite of the profound nature of the challenges that it was trying to address, the Terra Carta wasn't characterized by fear or terror, there was a rather beautiful optimism."

Expressing a need to reconnect with nature, Prince Charles said it had to be "the center of the whole operation and [Jony Ive's] design, I thought, brilliantly helped to encapsulate that."

Unveiled in November, the Terra Carta seal includes a round design with nature-based imagery, complete with intertwining plantlife producing seven overlapping circles. A crown features at the top, along with the text "For the Harmony of Nature, People, and Planet."

A total of 45 companies were granted the award in its first week of availability, including Amazon, Apple chip partner TSMC, and IBM.

When asked for advice for the next generation, Ive said "Very often overlooked is how we actually begin the process, how we understand the problem, how we frame the problem, and if we don't, we miss enormous opportunities before we really start. I think critical practice is that of being curious and inquisitive. But with real discipline and with real intention."

Aside from the seal, Prince Charles and Ive launched a design competition in July, giving students from London's Royal College of Art the chance to work on a variety of solutions to create a sustainable future, with successful ideas granted financial backing.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Not wearing an AppleWatch, Jony ?!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Of course not why would you?
    Forsure not going to replace my Breitling and Rolex with a short-lived AppleWatch there last perhaps 10 years or less. -where is the Terra Carta in that. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    I wonder if he still uses an iPhone ?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    In a conversation about the Terra Carta Design Lab in November, Charles complemented Ive's studio on its work so far.

The author of this article probably meant "complimented".

cpsrofred1
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Is the award revocable, if/when a company changes practices or doesn't keep up with innovation?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    That photo is very odd. It looks like both men are photoshopped onto an image of a cottage in mid-spring (note the deciduous foliage and flowering plants).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    How brilliant. Just a bunch of puerile criticisms. Looking for a nasty remark about their shoes.

These are sorts of initiatives by HRH  and Ive are needed today and should be complimented. 
    jony0
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Jony looks quite old now. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Hedware said:
    How brilliant. Just a bunch of puerile criticisms. Looking for a nasty remark about their shoes.

These are sorts of initiatives by HRH  and Ive are needed today and should be complimented. 
    Here's a criticism:  Charles is a vapid, inbred, amoral ass who knows absolutely nothing about climate science, yet lectures the "little people" about using fossil fuels.  And here's another:  The Terra Carta seal unveiling perfectly encapsulates the world in which these elites (Ive included) live.  It's a world disconnected from reality and that exists only in words and abstracts.  It's a logo for an award presented to companies that necessarily generate more waste than any other organizations in human history.  Amazon? I love Amazon, but claiming it's good for the environment in a stretch.  TSMC? Did they win the award for using Rare Earth metals? 
    holmstockd
  • Reply 10 of 11
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    Hedware said:

If you'll allow me: at best Charles is mostly irrelevant in the rest of the world outside your island, and at worst is somewhat of a joke. So most of the rest of the world will attempt to become more ecologically-minded because they have to to comply with the regulations in countries where they sell, or because the overwhelming opinion of the world says they must.  It won't happen because of a plaque from Charles.

By the way, I think an "initiative" in the modern world usually means there is a sizable monetary inducement that goes along with it. As far as I know, there is no such incentive with this award.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    13485 said:
    Hedware said:

If you'll allow me: at best Charles is mostly irrelevant in the rest of the world outside your island, and at worst is somewhat of a joke.
    Hey!  He's mostly irrelevant on this island too!