Is marijuana a harmless drug?

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 40
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    booze, weed,



    they are both drugs... they just do different things, use 'em if you want, and I guess booze is better (or not thought of as a "drug", even though it is, and it is legal and condoned by many religions) to use



    I dont do weed becuase i would like to be able to say when I am older that I didn't do it, and I don't think many people will be able to say that!
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SDW2001



    I tried it twice. I don't care for it. Oh, and I disagree: Occassional binge drinkers can be much more functional than can daily marijuana users. After a while, daily users look permanently stoned. By comparison, moderate daily drinking can be GOOD for you.





    Comparing daily marijuana users to occasional binge drinkers isn't really a fair comparison.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ericj551

    Comparing daily marijuana users to occasional binge drinkers isn't really a fair comparison.



    Why? I actually compared both daily drinkers as well. When you say "fair" I'm not really sure what that means. I made the comparison (actually someone else did first). It's not a question of "fair".
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

    Originally posted by SDW2001

    Why? I actually compared both daily drinkers as well. When you say "fair" I'm not really sure what that means. I made the comparison (actually someone else did first). It's not a question of "fair".



    In that specific example you are comparing regular drug use with infrequent drug abuse. I agree that daily smoking is probably worse the occasional binge drinking, but the levels of abuse you're talking about are not really equivalent
  • Reply 25 of 40
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i think that binge drinking is worse than binge [pot] smoking. drinkers have the risk of alcohol poisoning. the lethal dose of marijuana is estimated (based on the heinous murder of lab animals, but thats another story) to be 4000 to 40000 times an average dose, and there have been no cases (ever) of someone getting marijuana poisoning.



    Quote:

    More disturbing are the effects on motivation and social skills. All of the daily users I have known suffer froma lack of motivation and lack of personal responsibility. I have seen two VERY intelligent people acheive literally nothing, mostly due to the fact that all they want to do is smoke.



    i dont mean to be impolite or anything, but its possible that the daily users that you know lacked motivation and personal responsablity indepedantly of marijuana. maybe the marijuana lifestyle encourages it; but i can't believe that marijuana causes any lasting or long term side effects [aside from lung problems]. medical evidence seems to contradict that claim.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Powerdoc

    occasional smoke, like occasional drunk won't kill you (except if you drive while under the effects of it), but regular use of marijuana is bad for memory, and it can be irreversible. One of my patient says that since she use to smoke for years, she has not got any more memory, and she is not able to studie anything now.



    .



    sounds like a convenient excuse to me



    unless she really really toked it up hard all the time
  • Reply 27 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i know a dozen very smart, very motivated law and medical students who smoke regularly.



    they seem to be doing just fine.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I really don't do either anymore (okay, a little beer occasionally), but - given a choice - I'd rather take 2-3 hits off a joint than to drink 6-8 beers.



    And I've never encountered a mean, nasty person who's high on pot. Alcohol? Hoo-boy...







    I know all types from all backgrounds, incomes, interests, etc. who blaze up on occasion. Some are a bit toward the lowlife end of life's spectrum, while others are as well-off, successful and "yuppie-fied" as you'd ever meet.



    You can't stereotype this stuff and those who take part in it, I've learned. I've been shocked to learn of people who smoke who I never would've DREAMED did. Conversely, there have been people I've known that I would've bet my life that they smoke 4 times a day and they don't touch the stuff...or any other drug.



  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pscates

    I really don't do either anymore (okay, a little beer occasionally), but - given a choice - I'd rather take 2-3 hits off a joint than to drink 6-8 beers.



    And I've never encountered a mean, nasty person who's high on pot. Alcohol? Hoo-boy...







    I know all types from all backgrounds, incomes, interests, etc. who blaze up on occasion. Some are a bit toward the lowlife end of life's spectrum, while others are as well-off, successful and "yuppie-fied" as you'd ever meet.



    You can't stereotype this stuff and those who take part in it, I've learned. I've been shocked to learn of people who smoke who I never would've DREAMED did. Conversely, there have been people I've known that I would've bet my life that they smoke 4 times a day and they don't touch the stuff...or any other drug.







    Very good point. Also, in my experience, it affects everyone differently...
  • Reply 30 of 40
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by OSXaddict

    [Lots of words and such]

    Information provided by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.




    Just curious but what if (God-forbid) the "NIDA" were to publish an article claiming marijuana is safe?

    All hell would break loose



    Although I am not saying pot-smoking is 100% good, take a look at who is doing the testing. The statistics for drunk-driving deaths *cough* might *cough* be different if the tests were sponsored by MADD instead of, oh, Apple? Apple has nothing to do with drunk-driving so it is easier to believe them. (Neutral third-party like thingymajig)



    Oh, hi wyntir. Just read your post.8)
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I was gonna write a reply, but then I got high

    It was really gonna be good, but then I got high,



    Now I'm just writing crap, but I know why,

    because I got high, because I got high

    because I got high...





  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

    I was gonna write a reply, but then I got high

    It was really gonna be good, but then I got high,



    Now I'm just writing crap, but I know why,

    because I got high, because I got high

    because I got high...











    Awesome!
  • Reply 33 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

    I was gonna write a reply, but then I got high

    It was really gonna be good, but then I got high,



    Now I'm just writing crap, but I know why,

    because I got high, because I got high

    because I got high...




    its probably cause yer dyslexic though . . .





    I should know . . .being quite topsy-turvy, vica-versa myself . . .



    not high, I mean
  • Reply 34 of 40
    enaena Posts: 667member
    One more point, no one smokes *A* bowl for the same reason as someone drinks *A* beer.





    In the end, stoned is stoned no matter how you get there (that's why they call it getting F*UCKED up).



    I think it may be a question of intentions more than anything.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Would you like to elaborate on that as my damaged cognitive skills seem to miss your point?



    thanks
  • Reply 36 of 40
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

    I was gonna write a reply, but then I got high

    It was really gonna be good, but then I got high,



    Now I'm just writing crap, but I know why,

    because I got high, because I got high

    because I got high...









    Kind of was expecting that from Gent
  • Reply 37 of 40
    mind you, I don't say no to a Brugse Tripel either



  • Reply 38 of 40
    Whaaat?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Does anyone notice that Govt. sponsored antidrug TV ads are aimed predominantly at marijuana, rather than the other popular but far more dangerous drugs. There was article in the LA Times yesterday referring to more than 2700 methamphetamine labs which had been busted in Missouri in 2002. Thats at least 7 labs per day in just one state!! If 2700 got busted, I wonder how many are operating? That stuff turns people into maniacs...but the anti-drug emphasis still remains pot. I wonder why?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Well, the midwest is where crank is predominant................ I guess the government still feels that pot is the "gateway drug".
Sign In or Register to comment.