30 states working on digital drivers licenses, TSA will allow them soon

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2021
Trade groups central to the adoption of mobile drivers' licenses say that the US transition to digital is "well underway," leading to many more potential applications including adoption by the US Transportation Security Administration.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Following Apple's announcement of the first states to use Apple Wallet for drivers' ID, a conference called the Mobile Driver's License (mDL) Workshop has been held in Houston. Run by the Secure Technology Alliance, it was held in conjunction with an American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA).

"Smartphones carry everything, from payment cards to precious photos," said keynote speaker Christine Nizer, administrator of the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration and chair of the AAMVA International Board of Directors. "It is only natural that the devices are becoming a platform for storing identity credentials too."

"The success of mobile driver's licenses depends on stakeholders and relying parties banding together to create an mDL environment that is convenient and secure for the end user," she continued.

Secure Technology Alliance claims that, according to data from GET Group North America, the pace of mDL adoption has tripled in 2021. The group further claims that digital drivers' licenses "are gaining traction in at least 30 US states."

Describing its event as the first Mobile Drivers' License Workshop, Secure Technology Alliance says that its speakers detailed how adopting mDL will lead to wider forms of use.

"Several states including Utah, Maryland, Virginia and Louisiana have conducted pilots or have begun using mobile driver's licenses for age-based transactions such as purchasing alcohol and certain medications," said the company in a statement. "It is also being used at event concessions, in financial institutions like banks and more."

The group's speakers also predicted that age-based transactions that use mDL ID would go beyond alcohol. They predict self-drive rental cars being available without the need for staff to verify the renter's driving license, for instance.

A spokesperson for the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) told the event that its phased rollout using Apple Wallet would begin a pilot test at two airports from February. TSA intends to add two more states "around March 2022."

Originally formed as the Smart Card Alliance, the Secure Technology Alliance changed its name in 2017 to reflect the non-profit group's expanded charter. Having worked to champion digital ID, and ensure its security, speakers at the event said that "Apple's recent plan to integrate ISO/IEC 18013-5 mobile driver's licenses into its Wallet app has garnered significant media attention for the mDL movement."

Separately, Apple has revealed that it has delayed its rollout of the digital driver's license support in Apple Wallet until "early 2022."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I can't wait.
    But one hold up will be those private enterprises who require hard documents that they then photocopy and digitize themselves.   Chief among them are healthcare offices -- the first thing they ask is "Give me your ID and medical cards" that they then photo copy.

It took them years to get away from Fax Machines (which are STILL being used!).  It will take them decades to get away from being able to hold a card in their hand and photocopy it.   Meanwhile it is they who complain about medical ID fraud -- while promoting it by keeping unsecured copies of people's cards!
    lkruppscstrrfllamawatto_cobraradarthekatiOS_Guy80ronntwokatmew
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I can't wait.
    But one hold up will be those private enterprises who require hard documents that they then photocopy and digitize themselves.   Chief among them are healthcare offices -- the first thing they ask is "Give me your ID and medical cards" that they then photo copy.

It took them years to get away from Fax Machines (which are STILL being used!).  It will take them decades to get away from being able to hold a card in their hand and photocopy it.   Meanwhile it is they who complain about medical ID fraud -- while promoting it by keeping unsecured copies of people's cards!
    All of my health care providers allow me to upload photos of my insurance cards. I haven't had to hand over a physical card in years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Would be awesome if you included the list of 30 states actively considering. It’s not like this is a print piece restricted by column inches and the information couldn’t fit. ☹️
    bloggerblogbluefire1JinTechrezwitskurai_kagewatto_cobratwokatmew
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Some "front office staff" (otherwise known as insurance company employees) often have dated procedures and make faces when you say you don't have a card then claim they're not allowed to use electronic documents. You know the types, the ones that keep contactless payment terminals hidden 10 feet away from the patient trying to pay the co-pay-for-the-deductible-co-insurance or don't know how to enter in the charge amount into the terminal because they're "not allowed".  Bring on the digital DL and maybe we'll get to pay the fees with ApplePay instead of some 1990's looking credit card screen with a 3.5% inconvenience fee and 1.5% technology charge, while they pay for the Brinks cash truck and the 50 people herding staff to pay with exact change—Nevada 
    rob53llamawatto_cobraiOS_Guy80ronntwokatmew
  • Reply 5 of 22
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    bsimpsen said:
    I can't wait.

All of my health care providers allow me to upload photos of my insurance cards. I haven't had to hand over a physical card in years.
    The real revolution on this is well underway: make the client/customer do the work. When I visited a new healthcare provider, I was placed in a room with a keyboard and terminal. "Fill out all these forms" I was told. I imagine that a person with a disability would be accommodated, but the clearly this is the new Way Of Things. Business want to shift work away from staff they must pay to others. Provide an app; have a customer log in online and establish and account; show a QR code for order pickup up at a window, etc etc. To some extent, it is clever.

I was asked for proof of vaccination at a business. I opened my phone, and provided the QR code approved by my state (WA.) The person at the counter said, "I have no idea what that is." I do not expect to ever be able to leave important ID intentionally behind (DL, Passport, insurance, credit cards) behind in my lifetime. All it takes is one moron that doesn't know how to do their job, and I'm screwed. Backup - sure.  But I will die with my wallet on me.
    scstrrfllamaGeorgeBMacwatto_cobraronntwokatmew
  • Reply 6 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Some "front office staff" (otherwise known as insurance company employees) often have dated procedures and make faces when you say you don't have a card then claim they're not allowed to use electronic documents. You know the types, the ones that keep contactless payment terminals hidden 10 feet away from the patient trying to pay the co-pay-for-the-deductible-co-insurance or don't know how to enter in the charge amount into the terminal because they're "not allowed".  Bring on the digital DL and maybe we'll get to pay the fees with ApplePay instead of some 1990's looking credit card screen with a 3.5% inconvenience fee and 1.5% technology charge, while they pay for the Brinks cash truck and the 50 people herding staff to pay with exact change—Nevada 
    The funny thing about all the businesses who make copies of driver's license is I don't really believe it is even legal. Did a quick search and there's laws about copying photo IDs because it could be used for racially discriminatory reasons. I always thought copying a driver's license was forgery and underage kids would get arrested for a fake ID. Well, photocopying is forgery. I'm also tired about all this photocopying because companies are just lazy and stuck with their old procedures. I'm finally seeing more restaurants using Square and Toast terminals where you don't even give the server your card, see if vanish and hope they don't copy all your information. It's even worse with driver's licenses. Way too much PII (personally identifiable information) on that card. I like the Apple Card because it only has my name on it, nothing more, and most card readers don't (or shouldn't) expose that information to the credit card terminal or POS system being used, it simply connects to the credit card company and returns a valid card charge. We need to get out of the 19th Century way of doing business and actually protect our information from illegal use. This is especially necessary with all the selling of user information. None of my information should ever be made available to anyone, all they should get is an OK or validation from the DMV/DOL that my information is valid.
    williamlondonkurai_kageGeorgeBMacwatto_cobraiOS_Guy80twokatmew
  • Reply 7 of 22
    imwishing said:
    Would be awesome if you included the list of 30 states actively considering. It’s not like this is a print piece restricted by column inches and the information couldn’t fit. ☹️
    Typical amateurish appleinsider “journalism”.
    williamlondonMplsPDogperson
  • Reply 8 of 22
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    imwishing said:
    My thoughts exactly! Clickbait headline at its finest!
    williamlondonwatto_cobratwokatmew
  • Reply 9 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    imwishing said:
    That is a quote from the press release from this trade group. There is a link to it in the article. It doesn’t list the 30 states. 
    williamlondonnarwhalGeorgeBMacwatto_cobratwokatmew
  • Reply 10 of 22
    payeco said:
    imwishing said:
    That is a quote from the press release from this trade group. There is a link to it in the article. It doesn’t list the 30 states. 
    So? AppleInsider is still misleading people with the title of this article and it's still clickbait.
    MplsP
  • Reply 11 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    JinTech said:
    payeco said:
    imwishing said:
    So? AppleInsider is still misleading people with the title of this article and it's still clickbait.
    What is misleading exactly? 
    GeorgeBMacstompy
  • Reply 12 of 22
    imwishing said:
    Can I thumbs up this like +20?  Gees, as in no f-ing kidding.  Because a quick google search shows nothing.  This would have been some real investigative journalism...
    kurai_kagewatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 13 of 22
    The only way I would use one is if it allowed you to display it (to the police officer who just pulled you over) while your phone is still locked.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    The only way I would use one is if it allowed you to display it (to the police officer who just pulled you over) while your phone is still locked.
    IIRC, Gruber has a good piece on this tech challenge on DaringFireball. It has actually been reasonably well thought out. Before that thing leaves your hand, you lock it by disabling the FaceID or other biometric unlock. In that state, it can only do one thing: display the ID you select. Clever - but you gotta get in the habit of securely locking *before* you hand it over. 
    watto_cobra12Strangerstwokatmew
  • Reply 15 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    It’s just so…. what’s the word?  Ah, Skeuomorphic.  Been a while.  Lol 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 22
    payeco said:
    JinTech said:
    payeco said:
    imwishing said:
    Uh the fact that they do not have a list of the 30 states?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Lock Screen display only is available now and previously stated it’s how drivers license would work. 

There’s also levels of security. NYC Covidsafe app is launched by FaceID so its photo of my PA drivers license and CDC vaccination card are accessible just by me. And easier for points of service in that they don’t need the QR reader or access. Specialized equipment at the point of service is what still hinders ApplePay rollout. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 22
    JinTech said:
    payeco said:
    JinTech said:
    payeco said:
    imwishing said:
    Uh the fact that they do not have a list of the 30 states?
    If you click the link at the bottom, you can request a full refund of the money you paid to access this site. 

What a nation of whiny, entitled bastards we have become…
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It’s just so…. what’s the word?  Ah, Skeuomorphic.  Been a while.  Lol 

AFTER I looked that up I had to agree!
    Homepod is/was restricted to being simply a smart speaker that can play Apple Music. 

Even though the amazing technology of the original HomePod was theoretically capable of much more, that was their original intent and they stuck to it.  That is consistent with Steve's philosophy of not letting technology drive design and purpose.

While I agree with the philosophy, I find it frustrating at times when an Apple product comes so close to doing so much more with some minor tweaks -- but Apple just won't go there.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 20 of 22
    In my state of NSW, Australia - the law was written BEFORE digital licences were implemented to state that a Police officer/law enforcement cannot touch your phone. They may only view it, but may ask you to scroll on your licence only. There is also a damaged screen provision, a damaged screen may invalidate your licence; and a dimmed screen provision just in case your brightness may be too low. We've had digital licences since 2018. There hasn't been an privacy issues since launch.

The act is here: https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2018-021#sch.1
    twokatmewGeorgeBMacwilliamlondonstompy