Vintage iPod Shuffle as hair clip video goes viral, makes us all feel old

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In a clip that makes the AppleInsider staff feel old, a new TikTok clip shows a user asking what this "vintage" device she's found is -- and discovering a new use for what turns out to be an iPod shuffle.

Apple's old iPod shuffle with a new iPhone
Apple's old iPod shuffle with a new iPhone

According to Newsweek, more than two million people have watched Celeste Tice, @freckenbats on TikTok, examine the device like she's on the "Antiques Roadshow."

However, it's not clear what proportion of those viewers, or of people hearing about the video, now feel incredibly old.

Tice's archaeological discovery is an iPod shuffle, which Apple discontinued in 2017. That's actually a year after TikTok began, so take that, Tice.

Yet if she inadvertently made so many people want to have a bit of a sit down, and certainly a drink, Tice did also see something we all missed back in the day. Rather than clipping it to a belt, a blouse, or a bag, she tried using the iPod shuffle as a hair clip.

It works, too. Some 16 years after it was launched, and 4 years after it was discontinued, the iPod shuffle has become Apple's first hair-able.

Tice was not entirely serious about wondering what the device was, however. It was hers and she told Newsweek that she believes she used it when she was in middle school. Hearing the music she had on it back then proved surprising.

"I loved hearing all the throwbacks," she said, "but was also shocked at a few songs with some adult lyrics that I didn't expect myself to be listening to at nine years old."

The pair of iPod Shuffles that AppleInsider staff dug out for the picture that accompanies this story work too.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Be positive… it makes me feel “nostalgic”  :)
  • Reply 2 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The new version of a wall phone.
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 3 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    SO old. 

Sigh. 
    edited December 2021 watto_cobrakurai_kage
  • Reply 4 of 11
    My rotary wall phone still works, for the record. Can even call out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cincytee said:

You must be incredibly old!
    >:)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Remember when phones couldn’t wirelessly charge?  How did people live back then?  
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrakurai_kage
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Remember when phones couldn’t wirelessly charge?  How did people live back then?  

Remember when phones didn't need to charge? 
    urashidmuthuk_vanalingamuraharakurai_kage
  • Reply 8 of 11
    "...Apple's first hair-able..."

:D 
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 9 of 11
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    My first iPod was the third gen with the non-mechnical scroll wheel and lighted buttons. That iPod taught me I dont like ear buds or headphones, a lesson I follow to this day. I still have that iPod and keep in a speaker dock that I use in the garage sometimes.
    edited December 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    "I loved hearing all the throwbacks," she said, "but was also shocked at a few songs with some adult lyrics that I didn't expect myself to be listening to at nine years old."

I feel this way every time I listen to any of my iTunes playlists from back when I was in high school (I'm not in early 30's) and am shocked too.... and sometimes it's really subtle/catchy in the lyrics but gosh, I can't believe I would sing some of that stuff out loud 
    :| 
    kurai_kage
  • Reply 11 of 11
    cincytee said:

You must be incredibly old!
    >:)
    My mom's house. We just never took out the wall phone in the kitchen. What's interesting is that it works over new fiber optic connection to the house.