Users report charging bug with Apple Watch after updating to watchOS 8.3

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple Watch owners are reporting a charging bug after updating to watchOS 8.3, rendering their watches unable to charge properly on third-party chargers.

On December 13, Apple released watchOS 8.3 to the public. The update focused on improving overall performance and bug fixing, though it's now apparent that it likely introduced a new bug.

Users are now reporting that the Apple Watch no longer charges properly when connected to a third-party charger. Many users have noticed that the Apple Watch will charge 2% before ceasing to charge entirely. Others have reported experiencing battery drain while their Apple Watch is on the charger.

Initially, many users suspected that it was an issue isolated to the Apple Watch Series 7, but that no longer seems to be the case as older models appear to be affected as well.

"My Series 5 watch will no longer charge with my generic amazon.com seller charger stand, but will charge fine with the genuine apple charger cable. This happened overnight after the update to 8.3 was applied," AppleInsider reader fieroscotty reports.

More reports are rolling in as Reddit users have begun reporting the issue on r/AppleWatch.

User ashfleeburgooben notes that, after applying the update, their watch only gained 2% when placed on a third-party charger overnight. However, when placed on the official charger, their Apple Watch charged as expected. Others chimed in to report a similar issue.

MacRumors notes that many of the complaints are about affordable, third-party chargers that come from Amazon, with fewer reports about other brands.

Apple has not publically addressed this problem, and there are currently no known solutions. Apple Watch owners are encouraged to use their Apple-issued charger if possible.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I tried to charge my Watch 4 with an Aukey charger and the Apple cable and got a message saying that the charging device is not supported. 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    fred1 said:
    I tried to charge my Watch 4 with an Aukey charger and the Apple cable and got a message saying that the charging device is not supported. 
    Fred, perhaps you should consider a more recent generation of the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    No such problem in our house. Two series 6 watches and one series 5 using third party chargers.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    AW 6 with the Belkin 3-in-1 charger, and it worked the same today as a month ago. No slowing of the charge time at all. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    tommikele said:
    fred1 said:
    Good idea. Can you spot me $350? 😁  
    I didn't think this problem was related to the watch model.

And actually my Aukey charger works fine, it's the Anker charger that isn't compatible any more. 
    caladanianDogperson
  • Reply 6 of 17
    I’ve actually having charging issues with my Series 7 on original Apple chargers. The watch charges, but at a much slower rate than usual.

I was running developer betas until the current public release and know that the slow down started during the 8.3 betas. Since I normally charge overnight, I didn’t notice immediately and I’m not sure exactly when it began.

Recently, I had to do some day charging. After an 90+ minutes, it had barely hit 40%—an absurdly low charge rate for the Series 7. After a hard restart, the charge rate greatly increased. Still, it returned to slow charging the next day.

I hope any fix for 3rd party adapters also helps this situation.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 7 of 17
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    tommikele said:
    fred1 said:
    A very silly comment given the article makes it clear this is a problem on the Series 7 and other recent generations too.  The series 4 is still a great watch with about 95% of the same features and performance of the latest models.
    fred1muthuk_vanalingamDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    tommikele said:
    fred1 said:
    Tom, my Watch 4 is working beautifully, too. Why would I want to upgrade?
    muthuk_vanalingamDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Sounds like a creative way to increase ales of Apple branded chargers??????
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I think Apple needs to start doing some more serious QA on what they are releasing. Perhaps this is one of the things the pandemic has impacted for Apple 🤔
    I have this issue too and with a Watch series 7 and latest watchOS. Hope Apple make a fix soon…
  • Reply 11 of 17
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    Apple has not publically addressed this problem, and there are currently no known solutions. Apple Watch owners are encouraged to use their Apple-issued charger if possible.”

This seems to be a self-contradictory statement. 
  • Reply 12 of 17
    fred1 said:
    tommikele said:
    fred1 said:

And actually my Aukey charger works fine, it's the Anker charger that isn't compatible any more. 
    Sure Fred. Be glad to. The vig is 10 points a week and each late payment will have a $50 penalty added to the principal. Let me know. Just teasing.

I see good deals on pre-owns series 5 and 6 out there. You could score one for less than $350.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    tommikele said:
    fred1 said:
    tommikele said:
    fred1 said:

Sure Fred. Be glad to. The vig is 10 points a week and each late payment will have a $50 penalty added to the principal. Let me know. Just teasing.

I see good deals on pre-owns series 5 and 6 out there. You could score one for less than $350.
    Thanks good to know. But is there any indication that this problem with non-Apple chargers is limited to earlier watch models?
    If so, maybe a better solution is to spend a tenth of that on an Apple charger. Fewer points too!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    I’m having the same issue. 
    I have isolated it to any apple charging cables that are not the supplied fast charge cable. 
    I don’t have any third party cables. 
  • Reply 15 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    ApplePoor said:
    Sounds like a creative way to increase ales of Apple branded chargers??????
    Yeah, risking a class-action lawsuit by disabling a bunch of perfectly fine hardware is a super „creative“ marketing ploy, sure. 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    spheric said:
    Yeah, risking a class-action lawsuit by disabling a bunch of perfectly fine hardware is a super „creative“ marketing ploy, sure. 
    Yeah, that would be so unlike Apple, right?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    tommikele said:
    Dumbass comment.

AW 6 with the Belkin 3-in-1 charger, and it worked the same today as a month ago. No slowing of the charge time at all. 
    I have 3-in-1 Belkin tree and a bunch of the Apple pucks that came with my other watches (though two pucks have died). No charging problems at all either. But I don't have any third-party chargers other then that Belkin which has Apple's Made for MagSafe blessing so I can't check that out.

I would like to think that this is just a bug that Apple will squash with an update, but the Cynical Me knows that Apple does have a long history of trying to limit third-party access to various products.