'Apple Together' group organizing corporate, retail walkout on Dec. 24

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    scout6900 said:
    The charges all seem vague and really broad.  Am I wrong?   

Yes, I have little sympathy for workers that *demand* money for doing nothing. Paid sick leave, I can understand that being a government-sponsored program. Expecting a company to just pay you for laying in bed, that's going too far. Yes, some companies offer that as a benefit, which is nice, but to demand it as a right doesn't sit right with me.
    I’m a contractor so I only get paid for hours I work so I work holidays and such. But what your describing is paid vacation and that is a very common benefit that most regular employees receive.
    williamlondonrobabakillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    My advice to these employees is, go learn a skilled trade. You can make all the money you’ll ever need and don’t even need to take out a school loan. Get out of retail, it’s a dead end, just like restaurants. Yeah, you might need to get dirty, work outside, in the cold or blazing heat, but in the end it’s an honest living, and skilled trades of all types are in desperate need of younger workers. 
    dtownwarriorwilliamlondondanoxgenovelledewmeradarthekatred oakMacProkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    The words ‘We deserve…’ are the ramblings of entitled, spoiled, and ungrateful people. Even if it’s true that they ‘deserve’ this or that, anyone who stands up and proclaims to the world what they ‘deserve’ doesn’t deserve anything. They’re simply spoiled and have no idea that they are.
    Japheycat52radarthekatred oakanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Cher Scarlett nearly died yesterday. What you don't understand is that women get harassed 100X more than men when they stand up for anything. That harassment in the digital age might not ever cease and can go viral. Think mob mentality. This can include the kind of intimidation tactics that specifically harm women in our misogynist society. The ironic part is that women and other minorities are the ones fighting for equality and that benefits us all. Remember the bible story of David vs Goliath? This is that and your attitude and behavior are both unwarranted and ill informed coming from a very male perspective. Instead, try having a little empathy for those who have the balls to accomplish what men can't and won't. That's conviction. 

OH and I should add that I worked for Apple and saw firsthand the way people (including myself) were mistreated. As a cisgender hetero white male, I didn't have any protection from the managers in the white male good ol' boys club either. Difference is that my entire retail store didn't turn against me spurred on by corporate watchdogs who only care about the bottom line to ruin my reputation. Thank god for small favors in my case.

tommikele said:

Don't like the conditions and your employer isn't breaking the law? Have conviction and quit. Walking off the job is a very different thing than a protest. By all means protest. Walk off the job? See you at the unemployment office.

Odds are good Cher Scarlett is behind much of this.

edited December 2021 williamlondonrobabakojack
  • Reply 25 of 50
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    doggone said:
    If an employee makes a claim of harassment to HR, HR is legally bound to conduct an investigation.  If HR does not do the investigation correctly or ignores it then the consequences are enormous. I would be very surprised that Apple are not following the rules.

However, this system does require the affected employee to make a claim to HR.  They are protected by law from retaliation but have to make the first step.

As far as work conditions go, that is very much down to perspective.  Apple is known for pushing its people hard.  From what I've heard, many employees who are WFH do not want to return to the office.  I am seeing that in my industry too and to some extent who can blame them. Why commute 2+ hours a day when you can do your work from home.  This is especially relevant for employees who have kids and have to do the drop off and back from school or child care. 
    It’s a job not a vacation. You are paid to work where they hired them to work. If you find want to commute, don’t take the job. I like to say if it was like going to Disney they wouldn’t pay you for it. 
    red oakanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 50
    I work at the fruit stand in California. Everyone, including our seasonal employees gets paid sick time. 
    Also, Corporate Employees are off this week, so it's highly unlikely they will be "walking out".

JWSCcat52dewmewilliamlondonkillroyanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 50
    crowley said:
    tommikele said:

Don't like the conditions and your employer isn't breaking the law? Have conviction and quit. Walking off the job is a very different thing than a protest. By all means protest. Walk off the job? See you at the unemployment office.
    Disagree pretty much entirely.  Be the change you want to see in the world, don't just turn your back on it.
    You have to realise what company they are fighting. Most people here are "apple can do no wrong" types.  I am supporting the workers 100 percent. Just as I support the Amazon workers taking a stand.  Terrible working conditions are terrible working conditions no matter what company it is.  Most people here think apple's farts smell like roses and baby powder. They are a megacorporation who do not care about anything other than the almighty dollar. End of story.
    larryjwshareef777williamlondonronn
  • Reply 28 of 50
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    hexclock said:
    My advice to these employees is, go learn a skilled trade. You can make all the money you’ll ever need and don’t even need to take out a school loan. Get out of retail, it’s a dead end, just like restaurants. Yeah, you might need to get dirty, work outside, in the cold or blazing heat, but in the end it’s an honest living, and skilled trades of all types are in desperate need of younger workers. 
    Union Fire Sprinkler Pipe fitters hard work great pay benefits
    dewmekillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Apple is a publicly owned company that management has a duty to maximize their profits for stock holders. Different jobs have different requirements and pay scales based on the competitive value that job delivers to stockholders. One way to calculate that value is the number of customers their work will impact. If there is a store employee helping 50 customers per shift 5 days a week, they are responsible for assisting 13000 customers per year. An IOS software engineer is responsible for assisting over a billion customers per year. Who will likely be paid more? Tim Cook is responsible for every single customer and employee. He will of course be paid more. Ironically he is paid less than many of his peers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Apple is seen by some as this big greedy corporation, but they are conservative even at the top. Tim Cook runs the most valuable company in the world expected to reach 3 trillion in the next year or so, but he is only worth 1.5 billion. Steve Jobs’ widow is only worth 21 billion, no comparison to the hundreds of billions Amazon, and Microsoft founders and even former CEOs are worth. Let’s not even mention Tesla. Some of these companies have not made a significant profit consistently for decades like Apple has.

At the same time their offerings in the retail space tend to be competitive in that market.  
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 50
    danox said:
    hexclock said:
    Union Fire Sprinkler Pipe fitters hard work great pay benefits
    Yes, Union.  First thing, if something like this happend to union workers, they would be doing the EXACT same thing these apple workers are doing. 

williamlondonronn
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Apple should relocate to Texas. There, the workforce know how to balance their checkbooks and don’t blame the employers they agreed to work for, later. Especially after their boyfriend or girlfriend they used to split rent with decides to leave California, first. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    kojack said:
    crowley said:
    tommikele said:

Disagree pretty much entirely.  Be the change you want to see in the world, don't just turn your back on it.
    You have to realise what company they are fighting. Most people here are "apple can do no wrong" types.  I am supporting the workers 100 percent. Just as I support the Amazon workers taking a stand.  Terrible working conditions are terrible working conditions no matter what company it is.  Most people here think apple's farts smell like roses and baby powder. They are a megacorporation who do not care about anything other than the almighty dollar. End of story.
    Yeah, I’ve jumped from forum to forum and it’s always the same. Apple Cult is a real thing.
    kojackwilliamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 50
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    doggone said:
    If an employee makes a claim of harassment to HR, HR is legally bound to conduct an investigation.  If HR does not do the investigation correctly or ignores it then the consequences are enormous. I would be very surprised that Apple are not following the rules.

However, this system does require the affected employee to make a claim to HR.  They are protected by law from retaliation but have to make the first step.

As far as work conditions go, that is very much down to perspective.  Apple is known for pushing its people hard.  From what I've heard, many employees who are WFH do not want to return to the office.  I am seeing that in my industry too and to some extent who can blame them. Why commute 2+ hours a day when you can do your work from home.  This is especially relevant for employees who have kids and have to do the drop off and back from school or child care. 
    That’s great… so maybe, get a work-from-home job.  That’s not what Apple hired most of its employees to do, it’s not what it built the Apple Park campus to accommodate.  There are work-from-home jobs out there.  Perhaps these folks who got settled in at home during the pandemic should go find one and not denigrate Apple because it wants its office workers back in the office. 
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    DAalseth said:
    In general I’m inclined to support workers taking a stand agains a big corporation. Usually their complaints have merit. We will see how far this goes though. 
    I agree. Also, I think of it like this -- there are plenty of mechanisms for dealing with employees who have no legit gripe and are just whiny malcontents. But there are far fewer mechanisms to deal with managers who are bullies or just incompetent. So I'd rather err on the side of taking seriously complaints lodged by groups of employees. 
    muthuk_vanalingamkojackronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The day before Christmas and they're walking out of stores that basically have no stock on most items anyways.  Not the smartest bunch are they?
    Not to mention some stores are closed for safety reasons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 50
    It is officially Friday, December 24, 2021 and AppleInsider has not yet regurgitated anything from The Verge about walkouts at Apple Stores. So, is this walkout happening or not?
    williamlondonRudeBoyRudywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple gear is so easy to set up these days I can see them using vending machines to dispense boxes and a few robots to answer questions in the near future at Apple Stores. I'd far rather insert my Apple card and have a new iPhone of my choice pop out than have to go through the hassle they have in the Apple Stores now. The same goes for most of the stuff they sell now.
    edited December 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    MacPro said:
    Apple gear is so easy to set up these days I can see them using vending machines to dispense boxes and a few robots to answer questions in the near future at Apple Stores. I'd far rather insert my Apple card and have a new iPhone of my choice pop out than have to go through the hassle they have in the Apple Stores now. The same goes for most of the stuff they sell now.
    Not just apple products either.  Everything should be like that. I only buy my phones at the carrier. Most times now I will get them sent to us. If the new iPhone 14 is what they are leaking, I will probably buy two direct from apple this time.  Bypass the contract nonsense. But being on both sides of the fence when it comes to the labor force, I will back the the employees EVERYTIME.  I was a business owner of two highly successful construction companies. I always treated my employees with great respect as they were the ones ultimately making my profit for me.  If I had a good year, I made sure they had a good year. I even gave my foreman for my steel crew a new travel trailer. That's how you keep a work force happy. I took over the business from my father and that foreman was with us since 1982. We sold the business when the landscape of the industry changed here. Compound in my son was born with autism and I wanted to stay home close to him. 
    edited December 2021 dtownwarriorwilliamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Apple should relocate to Texas. There, the workforce know how to balance their checkbooks and don’t blame the employers they agreed to work for, later. Especially after their boyfriend or girlfriend they used to split rent with decides to leave California, first. 
    Texas is full 😜
    watto_cobra