Apple worker walkout organizers issue demands, size of strike unclear

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    JFC_PA said:
    The one employee abuse (imho) that isn’t mentioned here but does involve part time is when employers deliberately scatter hours among a large number of part time workers precisely to avoid having the expenses associated with a full time employee. 

that’s common in the food services industry but they’re suffering the consequences as they’re scrap jobs go unfilled. Though that’s taken decades and government complicity in that has to end. Federal minimum wage for tipped workers? $2.13 per hour. 

ETA: appointment only shopping? They realize the need for their services gets cut by the reduced demand  were Apple to change its stores over to that? 
    Actually no. Hiring more part time workers to do the job cost more than hiring fewer full time workers. It doesn't make a bit of sense to hire two part time workers to do the job of one full time worker. Even if part time workers don't receive all the benefit of full time workers. Unions actually want employers to hire more part time workers rather than to force full time workers to do overtime. 

Of course unions rather employers to hire more full time workers instead. But this won't make any business sense. With most retail, the busiest time of the week is the weekends. Say that an employer needs 10 full time workers on the busy  weekends but only need 6 full time employees on the average weekdays.  What are employers suppose to do the with the extra full time workers they need for the weekend, during the rest of the week when business is much slower? Without part time workers, full time workers would need to come in on their 6th and 7th days on OT or work more than 8 hours on a weekend day. Which is actually cheaper for the employer than hiring part time workers to cover the busy weekends.  Which is why unions would rather have employers hire more part time help, so full time workers are not forced to do OT. Not to mention this would lead to more union due paying workers. 

I think you are misunderstanding the "minimum wage" of tipped workers. The $2.13 is the minimum an employer must pay a tipped employee, providing the tipped employee is making at least or more than $5.12 an hour in tip, to cover the FLSA $7.25 minimum wage.

E.I. ......  If a tipped employee makes an average to $8 an hour in tips, then the employers must still pay that employee at least $2.13 an hour. The most an employer can deduct form the FLSA $7.25 minimum wage set for all employees, is $5.12. ($7.25 - $2.13) The employer can not use all the $8 an hour in tip, to cover the FLSA $7.25 minimum wage. They can only deduct  $5.12 of that and must pay the tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour, regardless if the tipped employee is making way above the $7.25 minimum wage in tips. The employers can choose to allow their tipped employees to keep all or most of their tips and still pay them the $7.25 or more in minimum wage.

If a tipped employee is only making $2 an hour in tip, then the employer must pay that tipped employee at least $5.25 an hour. (under Federal minimum wage laws.)    

No tipped employee working for an employer that is abiding by FLSA, is only making $2.13 an hour. Those workers are still cover by the $7.25 minimum wage for all employees. Or State minimum wage laws. Which ever is higher. 

Here's a run down on how tipped employees are paid in each State.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmeJWSCmaximara
  • Reply 22 of 69
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I like how they say they are requests but they are written as demands. The demands themselves are utterly ridiculous and indicative of unbelievable entitlement.  More money? They make much more than other retail employees.  And they’ve gotten like $2k in bonuses since the pandemic (or will).  Full benefits for part time? Lol, OK.  The Covid demands are laughably stupid.  Any employee absent who admits it was for the walkout should be fired on the spot.  Welcome to At Will employment.  If you don’t want to work for Apple, find another job.  There are certainly enough out there.  
    BosaJWSCmaximaraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 69
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Collective action exists for a reason, and surprise surprise, it’s not to please internet trolls.  I will always support workers standing up to the paternalistic contempt of their employers.  
    unknownoriginasdasdgodofbiscuitswilliamlondonbaconstangdasanman69
  • Reply 24 of 69
    This is just the same people that organized against Apple before their leader was fired for carelessly leaking inside process info while spending company time and resources on her M. O. - finding ways to besiege the company that hired her. 

These people may not be far behind if they cost Apple business instead of doing their jobs. 

maximarawilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 69
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    So, I guess the turnout was more Mini than ProMax?
    According to this, around 50 people walked out:

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-employees-plan-walkout-on-christmas-eve-urge-customer-boycott-2021-12?op=1
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/apple-retail-walk-out-pandemic-conditions_n_61c61b5ee4b04b42ab6afe19

I don't even think that qualifies as Nano compared to over 80,000 retail staff.

It looks like some of the fired Apple employees were trying to make it a thing from outside of Apple and their metric for whether it was working was to check if their hash tags were trending on twitter. I think modern generations have gotten into the mindset that they can control the world in the laziest way possible by texting from their phones.
    dewmebloggerblogBosamaximarawilliamlondonGeorgeBMacbaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 69
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    I can’t concern myself with Apple’s business practices, but can say if someone does not like their job for any reason they should quit and move on. Walkouts are meaningless unless all employees do it at the same time. Most people cannot or will not walkout because they need to be working. 
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Frankly, I expected better comments, even in the delusional politicised environment at the moment. I guess, in a country where a burger giant thinks it's such a privilege to work for it that it doesn't even pay managers enough to live on, and residents of super rich areas can't even conceive of paying teachers enough to live near the schools that educate their children, expecting sympathy for the idea of Apple paying staff for the work they do would be impossible. Don't these staff realise, the reward is working for Apple, to expect to be paid for that privilege? Now you're just dreaming. I'd put the complaining about pay and conditions down to woke activism, except the supposedly woke seem to be the major critics. I guess it's a privilege of the woke. The world really is upside-down.
    Slag me off all you want, you'll only prove my point.  :)
    lkruppmuthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 28 of 69
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    hexclock said:
    I literally had to make an account to type this comment cause all the other comments on here are just… wow! People really don’t give a crap about each other anymore do they? For all those on here calling to “fire every one of them” why don’t y’all do your research before you go on your computer and type out nonsense comments not knowing what you’re talking about or being in their shoes? It seems to me you all are the entitled ones that expect everything to be done for them no matter the cost or consequences to others. That’s what happens when you have a capitalist economy with no oversight or consequences for multi-billion dollar companies that nickel and dime their employees - who by the way, if they didn’t have these employees they wouldn’t continue to be in business or successful. Asking for part-time benefits when the majority of the retail workforce is part-time is not asking for too much, it’s asking for the bare minimum. In fact apple is a multi-trillion dollar company that can easily afford to give all employees some level of benefits. Hell even best buy gives part-time employees PTO - sure it’s not much, but Apple’s profits+revenue far outweigh any other retail or tech company in the world let alone America. So while you continue defending a multi-trillion dollar company that is literally squeezing their workforce dry with ZERO additional benefits, hazard pay, or protections (let’s not forget all the other illegal labor they’re part of in China) just for the sake of the “customer” (see: profits and shareholders) - the people who actually understand these issues and feel for these people will continue to support the movement for EVERY EMPLOYEE at EVERY COMPANY to stand up for their right; cause guess what? People don’t have to settle anymore. There are literally hundreds of other companies that will gladly take anyone who has Apple on their resume. Apple isn’t the Eden of workplaces. It is not the savior of the people. It’s a company. That only cares about their bottom line. And the employees that enable that bottom line deserve more respect and benefits and not fearing for their lives whenever they go to their stores and a customer refuses to wear a mask and causes a scene. I bet none of you commenters on here ever experienced that kind of risk and desperation between needing money and work and standing up for your rights. 
    So should every employee at the mall get hazard pay? How old are the average Apple retail kids, 20? They have almost ZERO chance of dying from Covid. Like I said, making demands when you have no bargain power is senseless. 

This country needs recession to let people know what they have vs when they won't have. People in USA and other places who work for company like Apple makes more in salary and benefits than others everywhere at their level of job, responsibility. If USA opens immigration to any qualified person to come into country; than over qualified people will rush into country to take these organize anti-Apple together people's job, Happily.
    dewmegodofbiscuits
  • Reply 29 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I will shop both online and in person just to give the finger to these pissants.

Marvin said:
    So, I guess the turnout was more Mini than ProMax?
    According to this, around 50 people walked out:

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-employees-plan-walkout-on-christmas-eve-urge-customer-boycott-2021-12?op=1
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/apple-retail-walk-out-pandemic-conditions_n_61c61b5ee4b04b42ab6afe19

I don't even think that qualifies as Nano compared to over 80,000 retail staff.

It looks like some of the fired Apple employees were trying to make it a thing from outside of Apple and their metric for whether it was working was to check if their hash tags were trending on twitter. I think modern generations have gotten into the mindset that they can control the world in the laziest way possible by texting from their phones.
    Well, 50 is more than enough for the media to make a huge deal out of it. Hell, even 5 is enough for the media to plaster it all over the globe. It will probably be on MSNBC with commentary from whats-her-face, Rachel somebody. 
    Bosa
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Go find another job!  This is ridiculous demands!!  
  • Reply 31 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    robaba said:
    Collective action exists for a reason, and fsurprise surprise, it’s not to please internet trolls.  I will always support workers standing up to the paternalistic contempt of their employers.  
    AI appeals to customers and share owners. The latter are generally right wing and older. Interesting take calling workers privileged if you are living off dividends. 

I always support the right to collective bargaining although the requests here are a bit OTT. Appointment only can’t be the way shops work. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 32 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    wood1208 said:
    hexclock said:
    I literally had to make an account to type this comment cause all the other comments on here are just… wow! People really don’t give a crap about each other anymore do they? For all those on here calling to “fire every one of them” why don’t y’all do your research before you go on your computer and type out nonsense comments not knowing what you’re talking about or being in their shoes? It seems to me you all are the entitled ones that expect everything to be done for them no matter the cost or consequences to others. That’s what happens when you have a capitalist economy with no oversight or consequences for multi-billion dollar companies that nickel and dime their employees - who by the way, if they didn’t have these employees they wouldn’t continue to be in business or successful. Asking for part-time benefits when the majority of the retail workforce is part-time is not asking for too much, it’s asking for the bare minimum. In fact apple is a multi-trillion dollar company that can easily afford to give all employees some level of benefits. Hell even best buy gives part-time employees PTO - sure it’s not much, but Apple’s profits+revenue far outweigh any other retail or tech company in the world let alone America. So while you continue defending a multi-trillion dollar company that is literally squeezing their workforce dry with ZERO additional benefits, hazard pay, or protections (let’s not forget all the other illegal labor they’re part of in China) just for the sake of the “customer” (see: profits and shareholders) - the people who actually understand these issues and feel for these people will continue to support the movement for EVERY EMPLOYEE at EVERY COMPANY to stand up for their right; cause guess what? People don’t have to settle anymore. There are literally hundreds of other companies that will gladly take anyone who has Apple on their resume. Apple isn’t the Eden of workplaces. It is not the savior of the people. It’s a company. That only cares about their bottom line. And the employees that enable that bottom line deserve more respect and benefits and not fearing for their lives whenever they go to their stores and a customer refuses to wear a mask and causes a scene. I bet none of you commenters on here ever experienced that kind of risk and desperation between needing money and work and standing up for your rights. 
    So should every employee at the mall get hazard pay? How old are the average Apple retail kids, 20? They have almost ZERO chance of dying from Covid. Like I said, making demands when you have no bargain power is senseless. 

This country needs recession to let people know what they have vs when they won't have. People in USA and other places who work for company like Apple makes more in salary and benefits than others everywhere at their level of job, responsibility. If USA opens immigration to any qualified person to come into country; than over qualified people will rush into country to take these organize anti-Apple together people's job, Happily.
    Pushing wages and the tax take down. Brilliant idea. it’s also a woke idea, as RANTg points out. 
  • Reply 33 of 69
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    quazze said:
    Benefits for part-time employees? What a joke. What company offers that? Maybe one percent, if that? 
    The joke is on you, Broadway Department stores (now Macy’s) had full benefits in 1978 for their part-time employees which was great for going to school (junior college) and working part time ie..no student debt.
    In today’s gig economy that benefit is probably is gone at Macy’s….
    edited December 2021 asdasdbaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 69
    mcdave said:
    Invoke the abandonment clauses.

Not sure if it’s related to this article but I love the irony of workers insisting on remote working conditions. Why have an expensive remote worker in California when you can have a cheap remote worker in Argentina?

These #XXXToo self-entitlement initiatives are deliciously self-defeating.

You're so brainwashed by corporations and that damned puritan work ethic, you think human beings should be treated like sh*t.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 35 of 69
    jimh2 said:
    I can’t concern myself with Apple’s business practices, but can say if someone does not like their job for any reason they should quit and move on. Walkouts are meaningless unless all employees do it at the same time. Most people cannot or will not walkout because they need to be working. 

And this is happening in a lot of places.  There's a labor shortage.  you think that there's only one way to push corporations into better pay and working conditions?
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Bosa said:
    This is just the same people that organized against Apple before their leader was fired for carelessly leaking inside process info while spending company time and resources on her M. O. - finding ways to besiege the company that hired her. 

These people may not be far behind if they cost Apple business instead of doing their jobs. 

Idiots should be fired yesterday. Apple and cook have been way too nice, that is the issue and fosters this type of entitled people.

I work for TSMC, Taiwanese Company, pays great but they will never take this type of crap from people. You want to work for us, we will pay you but don’t f- around or you leave!

They're not an American company.  Apple has *PLENTY* of money.  Their margins are plenty high.  They don't pay a living wage in retail.  Do your homework.
    edited December 2021 baconstang
  • Reply 37 of 69
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    mcdave said:
    Invoke the abandonment clauses.

Not sure if it’s related to this article but I love the irony of workers insisting on remote working conditions. Why have an expensive remote worker in California when you can have a cheap remote worker in Argentina?

These #XXXToo self-entitlement initiatives are deliciously self-defeating.

You're so brainwashed by corporations and that damned puritan work ethic, you think human beings should be treated like sh*t.
    Working at home will lead to first world workers being replaced with cheaper people overseas…
  • Reply 38 of 69
    rANTg said:
    Frankly, I expected better comments, even in the delusional politicised environment at the moment. I guess, in a country where a burger giant thinks it's such a privilege to work for it that it doesn't even pay managers enough to live on, and residents of super rich areas can't even conceive of paying teachers enough to live near the schools that educate their children, expecting sympathy for the idea of Apple paying staff for the work they do would be impossible. Don't these staff realise, the reward is working for Apple, to expect to be paid for that privilege? Now you're just dreaming. I'd put the complaining about pay and conditions down to woke activism, except the supposedly woke seem to be the major critics. I guess it's a privilege of the woke. The world really is upside-down.
    Slag me off all you want, you'll only prove my point.  :)
    First, I advise that you go look at what Apple retail employees actually make compared to other retail jobs. It negates your entire point. Secondly, you have no idea what you’re talking about when it comes to public education salaries.  I’ve worked in education for nearly 25 years. Decisions on salary as well as the socioeconomics of the entire system have nothing to do with a private employer and technology company. By the way, I am employed by one of the better paid school districts in the country. I can absolutely afford to live “near the schools.“ Typically the “super rich areas“ often have higher salaries. Public education is not at the top of the list when it comes to overall salaries in an area, if you include the private sector. The same applies to retail.  
    anantksundarammacxpress
  • Reply 39 of 69
    danox said:
    quazze said:
    Benefits for part-time employees? What a joke. What company offers that? Maybe one percent, if that? 
    The joke is on you, Broadway Department stores (now Macy’s) had full benefits in 1978 for their part-time employees which was great for going to school (junior college) and working part time ie..no student debt.
    In today’s gig economy that benefit is probably is gone at Macy’s….
    1978 might as will be a different planet. The entire structure of the economy was different.  My grandfather worked for AT&T for over 40 years. People typically don’t do that today, nor do they have pension plans unless they are in the public sector. Your implication is that it’s realistic to expect full-time benefits with part-time employment today. It isn’t.  
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 40 of 69
    Times have changed in the retail world ( not for the better). Coverage, pensions, unions ,sick leave all are a thing of the past
     So now working for a company is about liking the environment you work in . Try working in a Macys or Target or a supermarket and see the employee abuse
     wow. Absolutely the last place you want to work
    APPLE is good. Customer abuse is something that unfortunately is part of todays society and really gets the customer nowhere .People should always remember the worker is  not the company they’re just an employee treat them with the respect they give you
    Lastly expecting Apple to change the retail standard of compensation benefit wise is not going to happen