Apple offering engineers $180,000 bonuses to prevent poaching

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2021
Apple's top engineering talents are being offered significant stock bonuses worth up to $180,000 to prevent defection to Meta and others.

Apple giving large bonuses to prevent poaching
Apple giving large bonuses to prevent poaching

An employee poaching war is seemingly underway between Apple and Meta, the company formerly known as Facebook. Compensation raises and bonuses are being used to convince top talent to stick around or jump ship by both companies.

In a report published by Bloomberg on Tuesday, Apple's bonus offering is not only said to be unusually large, but it's also out of season for the company. Anonymous employees shared that between 10% and 20% of engineers had been approached with the bonuses.

The seemingly random selection and large sums have irked some employees. Numbers shared range from $50,000 to $180,000 in restricted stock, set to vest over four years.

The bonuses seem to be a reaction to Meta's recent poaching of key engineers across AR, VR, wearables, and other divisions at Apple. Bloomberg says that Meta has hired about 100 engineers "in the last few months" in this ongoing talent war.

Apple has also been fighting to hire talent from other companies as well. It recently allegedly poached the Meta AR communications chief Andrea Schubert.

The internal politics within Apple continue to bubble to the surface as employees complain of unfair working conditions, fight against returning to the office, and battle issues related to the pandemic. A different round of bonuses was recently offered to retail employees as well.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Wrong premise, it is not poaching. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Fine with me, share the wealth. You want it, you pay for it. 
    Xedmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 18
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Hiring a communications chief is no big gain.  The real know-how is with the engineers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    As with any employer, I'm sure working for Apple has its challenges. But you gotta wonder what it costs Meta to convince engineers to come work for Satan and America's Most Hated Company. 
    blastdoorradarthekatF_Kent_DDogpersonsconosciutoKingfisherParkviclauyycbaconstangbadmonkdewme
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I’m surprised there are this many Apple engineers that would be willing to sell their soul to work for some place as truly evil as Facebook. It would take tens of millions for me to work there. 
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Any time Facebook loses talent, it's good for other tech companies and a plus for the human race.
    F_Kent_DDogpersonsconosciutoKingfisherParkviclauyycbaconstangTRAGwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 7 of 18
    payeco said:
    I’m surprised there are this many Apple engineers that would be willing to sell their soul to work for some place as truly evil as Facebook. It would take tens of millions for me to work there. 
    So for the right price you would sell your soul. You're just haggling over the price.

edited December 2021 radarthekatF_Kent_Dnapoleon_phoneapartmuthuk_vanalingamlkruppxyzzy01sconosciutourashidStrangeDaysbaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    payeco said:
    22july2013 beat me to it.  Doh! 
    edited December 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I understand that money talks in the end.  That being said, I don't think that I could ever work for Meta (Facebook) regardless of how much money they pay me.  Then again... if it were double (or triple) my Apple salary?  Damn... 

Nice problem to have for those engineers with those desirable, and valuable skills that companies are fighting (and paying) for.,
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 10 of 18
    payeco said:
    So for the right price you would sell your soul. You're just haggling over the price.

Well said!!! One of the best posts from you in this forum.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 11 of 18
    “Defection”?!

Calm down author. Apple staffers didn’t swear their allegiance to a Apple flag. They are free to take advantage of the job market and are not traitors for doing so. 
    byronl
  • Reply 12 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    “Defection”?!

Calm down author. Apple staffers didn’t swear their allegiance to a Apple flag. They are free to take advantage of the job market and are not traitors for doing so. 
    But the narrative has to be maintained. Apple is losing!
    edited December 2021 byronl
  • Reply 13 of 18
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:

I guess I meant it more along the lines of that being an amount they would never pay so it’s not even a remote possibility. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Engineers can be a peculiar bunch and should they have any ethical/moral qualms about the matter, I think most of them would find a way to rationalize a move to Meta.

• the offer was too good to turn down
    • hey if I don't take the job, someone else will
    • I can fight the good fight more effectively from the inside than from the outside
    • it's only for a couple or three years and it will look great on my CV
    • they're all fucking evil corporate behemoths to one extent or another

I've had the opportunity to work alongside some (non-engineering) people at Meta, both employees and contractors... can't say I have any earth-shaking inside scoops but I did glean two facts: the culture seems to be insanely competitive, even for a SV behemoth (think Jack Welch's GE or Microsoft's now-discarded 'forced curve/stacking system') and also the company is very tight-fisted.

edited December 2021 watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 15 of 18
    and also the company is very tight-fisted.

I'm not sure if the other company is any better in this area. =)
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I've had the opportunity to work alongside some (non-engineering) people at Meta, both employees and contractors... can't say I have any earth-shaking inside scoops...

Oh, not to worry! Frances Haugen provided all the inside scoops we needed--which only confirmed what we already knew or suspected: Zuckerberg is the biggest douchebag in the universe, an amoral sociopath who'd sell his own mother for profit. But yeah... I''ll bet there are some "very fine people" who've chosen to work for him--I just can't figure out how they face themselves in the mirror each morning. I guess the "I was just following orders" justification for supporting evil still works... that and their bank balance. 
    edited December 2021 Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    I believe the majority of Apple engineers who are most coveted by other companies like Meta are probably well compensated by Apple and are pretty happy doing what they are doing where they are doing it. If they were not they'd already be long gone, and not for financial reasons. It's always nice to have your current employer give you a pat on the back and recognition, and a bigass bonus is a very nice "thank you" if done on top of human level expressions of gratitude. But the magnitude of the numbers being presented in this article would give me pause, to the point of thinking my employer was losing their mind like a jealous and desperate spouse who thinks their mate may be looking to leave them. Seems like an unhealthy relationship, at least at face value.

I guess it varies from engineer to engineer, but as an engineer I've never been motivated to make a move based on financial reasons. There are too many working hours in the day and too many working days in the year to show up for the slog just for the money. However, I'm sure there is a financial threshold where the "love of the job" is too far out of whack with the compensation provided and the "love of the job" decays in resentment. Of course every employer of talent wants to know exactly what that threshold is for everyone on staff.

At least at a philosophical level, throwing massive amounts of cash at someone who is already above their threshold and still "loving their job" is going to elevate or inflate everyone's threshold, even the slackers, which seems like a rather stupid move by the employer. On a practical level, who doesn't like more cash in their pocket? The smarter ones will dump all that extra into their portfolio and probably leverage it to retire a couple or few years earlier than planned, which may come back to haunt the employer in the long run. Too bad for them. Happy retirement or second career for the engineers.
    jeffythequickwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Here’s the game:
    A company wants you to work as hard as possible, make them as much money, for as little as possible.
    A worker wants to do the least amount to get as much money as possible.
    Everything else is window dressing.

Here’s how I would play it:
    Print out the offer letter, along with other offers you have let go.
    Have a one on one with my boss, and give them the letter, and let them know how much you enjoy the challenge of working there, and the other company, and let them know that the other company keeps pestering you about jumping ship.
    Offer to accept 2 RSU stock grants that vests in 4 years in both my 401(k) and available to me, but ask that it be a cliff vesting, that if I leave the company for any reason they choose, I immediately vest, and if I leave, I get nothing until vested.  (Win-win).  Also, have stock options that vest over 4 years at 25% per year, with the strike price at the current level.  (These are cheaper than offering stock, and give flexibility to me, and encourage me to do things that raise the price of the stock.)

Negotiating from a position of strength is how it’s done, and it doesn’t have to be adversarial.  It’s just that you have a choice to make, and helping the current team know that I am willing to give them a fair chance to counter the offer on the table, especially if I had been approached before, is a nice gesture.

As a note, my wife talks with people in HR at a lot of companies, and skilled employees are difficult to find, so it’s nice to be wanted, and even nicer to let the company that you’re working for know that you like working there.
    watto_cobrabyronl