Newsflash - newsreader question.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well I have downloaded all the Newsreaders from Versiontracker and the only one I really like is Newsflash. What a wonderful interface etc. The only problem is it is still an Alpha and it doesn't look like any work is going on anymore.

Can anyone here provide an update to development of Newsflash? I did send a message to the Newsflash list and recieved no replies.

I hate to say it but the only decent newsreader that works is Entourage. The user experiance of Hogwash is awful and it HOGS my desktop!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I hate to say it but the only decent newsreader that works is Entourage.

Whoa. Using a Microsoft (even if it's a Mac version) application to read newsgroups scares the hell out of me...

Did you try Thoth? I use that one and its a little clunky, but does the job for me in OS9 & OS X...

http://www.thothsw.com/thoth/

• Reply 2 of 8
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Yes I think it is awful, I can't get on with it at all. Why all the different windows it is not intuitive either. I wouold really like to see Newsflash progressed.

Anyone know what is happening there?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Is this project dead?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

Yes I think it is awful, I can't get on with it at all. Why all the different windows it is not intuitive either.

You'd be surprised at how intuitive it is. I really can't see any way to move Thoth's various windows into one. It's nice how it is now. Do I want to check out some mp3s, I open my mp3 groups window. If I want to discuss some high-brow stuff, I open my scholar groups window. If an article is incomplete on my main server, I open the window of my backup newsserver.

Once you get past the beginning with Thoth, you'll find out that it rulez. Better than anything MS (especially for binaries), MT-Newswatcher and Hogwasher. (I haven't tried Newsflash though, but I'm wary of Alpha, even beta, software).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I looked up Thoth on Versiontracker after I read this thread...and the user feedback I see leaves me leery of trying it:

Thoth on Versiontracker

It seems like it has some issues. Does anyone know more about this? I use MT-Newswatcher (v 3.3b), and it works well for me. However, it IS just a carbonized version of the original Newswatcher and I would love something more up to date.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

. (I haven't tried Newsflash though, but I'm wary of Alpha, even beta, software).

Do try it, it is by far and away the best UI. It doesn't crash and it doesn't put files all over your machine. If you don't like it just drag it to the trash.

The problem is it just isn't finished, posting replies is a nightmare as it doesn't pick up the thread you are replying to etc. Reading groups though is fine and it has a very good filter for finding new groups. For instance you can put uk.mac and it will find uk.comp.sys.mac etc which is very nice.

Don't be afriad try it and let me know what you think.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

I looked up Thoth on Versiontracker after I read this thread...and the user feedback I see leaves me leery of trying it:

Thoth on Versiontracker

That does seem to explain why I, indeed, have a not-so stable OS X experience. \

The memory leak is there too, I even looked it up today in this thread.

Bottom line: it does look as if I'm going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of Thoth. \