Everything we know about the 'iPhone 14 Pro' so far

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
If the rumors are true, the "iPhone 14 Pro" will be a significant departure from Apple's current design philosophy, so we've created exclusive renders to show what might be next.

'iPhone 14 Pro'
'iPhone 14 Pro'

Apple updates the iPhone over multi-year design cycles with minor changes each year. However, according to rumors, the "iPhone 14 Pro" may ignore the norm and introduce several design alterations at once.

The iPhone 12 introduced the current flat-sided design paradigm, and iPhone 13 enhanced it with a huge camera bump. Typically, Apple would release an "iPhone 14" with some aesthetic change or no external change at all -- reserving a new design or form factor for the "iPhone 15."

Rumors of Apple's departure from its tick-tick-tock cycle started early. Supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo was among the first to suggest a hole-punch camera in a March 2021 report.

In September 2021, a well-known leaker named Jon Prosser shared what he believed the "iPhone 14" would look like just before the iPhone 13 announcement. The renders depicted a device with flat sides, but no camera bump, no notch, and iPhone 4-like volume buttons.

The round volume buttons may return
The round volume buttons may return

As if Prosser's renders were a signal to the rumor mill, other known leakers threw their reports in right away. Ross Young, a display supply chain analyst, stated that Apple would move the True Depth array for Face ID behind the display and use a hole-punch camera. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman announced a complete redesign was coming for the next iPhone, and the iPhone mini would be axed from the lineup.

The renders created by AppleInsider are based on these initial leaks and other leaks that followed. The most repeated information so far is the hole-punch camera, but the flat rear camera array and volume buttons have few rumors backing that claim.

In December, The Elec says the new hole-punch camera is reserved for the iPhone "pro" models, and the standard models will retain the notch. Kuo offered another report in December on "iPhone 14" as well, but focused on camera capabilities and not the design.

An iPhone without a camera bump will need new camera technology
An iPhone without a camera bump will need new camera technology

Kuo's assertions that Apple will move to bigger sensors with 48MP image capture go against Prosser's claim of a reduced camera bump. Cameras are physical devices that need space to operate correctly, and Apple had to significantly increase the camera bump size in the iPhone 13 generation already.

To dramatically reduce the camera bump, Apple would have to change the camera system or utilize some new technology. It isn't yet clear how this design change can physically be possible.

The "iPhone 14" is expected to be announced in September 2022. Stay tuned for more exclusive renders of future Apple products on AppleInsider.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    A mini with no camera bump and ProMotion would be an instant buy for me.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I’ve switched from iPhone 12 mini to Google pixel and I couldn’t be happier. Battery life is amazing. Voice dictation is perfect and faster then ever. Tasks are incredibly fast. Always on display is amazing. Weather in Lock Screen is perfect and I strongly needed it. Touch ID during the pandemic is a complete necessity for me and much faster then Face ID. I’m afraid that I’m now a convert to android. I’ve been an apple phone fan since the 3g. Apple is using an old compartmentalized notion that you need each separate thing for a complete Apple experience. It’s an old outdated model that needs to be reconstructed. I’m not going to buy an Apple Watch to unlock my iPhone with a mask. I’m not going to have my iPad side by side with my computer. Apple is falling behind with everything accept the Mac and Apokecwatch. The iPhone and iPad are total crap these days. I updated from first version of SE to the 12 mini. What a depressing upgrade. Goodbye Apple iPhone. Your years ahead thinking and sollidifying of your products a year or two out needs to be redone. Apples compartmentalization is destroying Apples products strength. The new MacBook pros are fantastic and I have one. Cheers
    williamlondonaustinc
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Fred257 said:
    I’ve switched from iPhone 12 mini to Google pixel and I couldn’t be happier. Battery life is amazing. Voice dictation is perfect and faster then ever. Tasks are incredibly fast. Always on display is amazing. Weather in Lock Screen is perfect and I strongly needed it. Touch ID during the pandemic is a complete necessity for me and much faster then Face ID. I’m afraid that I’m now a convert to android. I’ve been an apple phone fan since the 3g. Apple is using an old compartmentalized notion that you need each separate thing for a complete Apple experience. It’s an old outdated model that needs to be reconstructed. I’m not going to buy an Apple Watch to unlock my iPhone with a mask. I’m not going to have my iPad side by side with my computer. Apple is falling behind with everything accept the Mac and Apokecwatch. The iPhone and iPad are total crap these days. I updated from first version of SE to the 12 mini. What a depressing upgrade. Goodbye Apple iPhone. Your years ahead thinking and sollidifying of your products a year or two out needs to be redone. Apples compartmentalization is destroying Apples products strength. The new MacBook pros are fantastic and I have one. Cheers
    Blah, blah, blah, you don't mind being the product and having your privacy violated and sold, how obedient.

MacRumors has a new membership awaiting you.
    spock1234caladanianiqatedojahbladecornchipCelticPaddy
  • Reply 4 of 19
    You can also get rid of the bump by making the phone thicker, no new tech needed 
    spock1234williamlondon9secondkox2bonobobcornchipbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Fred257 said:

I was android user for some years after upgrading from using iPhone 4, because that time android phones were cheaper and larger screen than iPhone 4 I was using. Once I switched back to iPhone 6; from that day never looked back and everyone in family loves owns iPhones, Macbooks/airpods Pro/watches,iPad Air, LG OLED TV, Toyota vehicles,etc,etc. and upgrade them as needed..
    edited December 2021 jahbladeCelticPaddy
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Fred257 said:
    It’s fine if you prefer your Pixel, but taking your preference to the level that Apple’s approach is ‘destroying’ Apple is silly.

I’m also not following your argument. You don’t need an Apple Watch to use an iPhone, nor an iPad to use a MacBook, etc. They aren’t incomplete devices in need of each other. You could say there isn’t much overlap between things like the iPad and MacBook, but many people see that ‘compartmentalisation’ as a good thing.

Not sure how having the weather on the Lock Screen is something anyone strongly needs—does that extra few seconds to unlock your device really make or break you? Or even just (gasp) stepping outside? Seems like a trite ‘need’.

As far as mask wearing, you could always move somewhere that doesn’t subscribe to the false idea that cloth masks are statistically anything more than virtue signalling and a security blanket…? :) Seriously though, during the time my area required masks adapting to FaceID was a non-issue. Pulling the mask down for 2 seconds to unlock your phone is surely safer than removing it entirely to eat…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mikeinca said:
    You can also get rid of the bump by making the phone thicker, no new tech needed 
    Would we accept a thicker phone? I think we would after a decade dedicated to thinness. I’m sure many disagree but I like my thicker Macbook Pro - it’s as elegant a new design in its way as what went before.  And with the iPhone, the extra space inside has potential. 

An increased thickness should not be over chunky - elegance and lightness are very important in a phone. But it would seem possible to find a middle way. 

The question is, how thick would iPhone need to be to accommodate the next generation cameras?
    edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 19
    kayess said:
    mikeinca said:
    Would we accept a thicker phone? I think we would after a decade dedicated to thinness. I’m sure many disagree but I like my thicker Macbook Pro - it’s as elegant a new design.  And with the iPhone, the extra space inside has potential. 
    Not going bigger in phones, too unwieldy, different for a (pro) laptop.
    80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Maybe - I edited my post above in response, thanks 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I don’t think Apple can make the iPhone that much thicker to bring the current size modules into the body with no bump.  Also I just don’t see them ditching the notch after just adding into their MacBook Pro lineup. It’s their unique identifying feature. Why would they try to make the 14 look like every other phone now. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I don’t think Apple can make the iPhone that much thicker to bring the current size modules into the body with no bump.  Also I just don’t see them ditching the notch after just adding into their MacBook Pro lineup. It’s their unique identifying feature. Why would they try to make the 14 look like every other phone now. 
    I kind of feel the same way about the notch. It really doesn’t bother me much, at all. In fact, the only time I even think about it is when someone on AI is complaining about it. 
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Fred257 said:

You and your ilk are laughable.

williamlondonjahblade
  • Reply 13 of 19
    kayess said:
    Would we accept a thicker phone? I think we would after a decade dedicated to thinness. 
    I would even accept a polymer case built-in, a-la Nokia’s “Fabula” design, say, in Nokia 735.
    “Who wants to buy a case, yuck!”, also “Great artists steal”
    plus this is lighter and better network connection
  • Reply 14 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    crowley said:
    A mini with no camera bump and ProMotion would be an instant buy for me.

Ditto… except I’d have to actually have the $$$$$…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 19
    kayess said:
    mikeinca said:
    Would we accept a thicker phone? I think we would after a decade dedicated to thinness. I’m sure many disagree but I like my thicker Macbook Pro - it’s as elegant a new design in its way as what went before.  And with the iPhone, the extra space inside has potential. 
    I would.  Especially if that thickness were used to increase battery life and/or longevity.  Erasing the camera bump by expanding the case might allow that.

That said, features, not style, are what will sell me on a new phone.  At the moment, my 11 is serving me well, though I'm going to need the battery replaced soon.  I'm looking forward to a new watch more than I am a new phone.
    edited December 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 19
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    georgie01 said:
    Fred257 said:
    It’s fine if you prefer your Pixel, but taking your preference to the level that Apple’s approach is ‘destroying’ Apple is silly.

I’m also not following your argument. You don’t need an Apple Watch to use an iPhone, nor an iPad to use a MacBook, etc. They aren’t incomplete devices in need of each other. You could say there isn’t much overlap between things like the iPad and MacBook, but many people see that ‘compartmentalisation’ as a good thing.

Not sure how having the weather on the Lock Screen is something anyone strongly needs—does that extra few seconds to unlock your device really make or break you? Or even just (gasp) stepping outside? Seems like a trite ‘need’.

As far as mask wearing, you could always move somewhere that doesn’t subscribe to the false idea that cloth masks are statistically anything more than virtue signalling and a security blanket…? :) Seriously though, during the time my area required masks adapting to FaceID was a non-issue. Pulling the mask down for 2 seconds to unlock your phone is surely safer than removing it entirely to eat…
    Cloth masks are a little more than virtue signaling, but not much.  For the most part, regular masks are made to protect OTHERS from the person wearing the mask.  To protect yourself, you really need everyone else wearing a mask, or a properly-fitted N95 (not the cheap AOC KN95).  People get COVID, vaccinated or not, and will shed the virus everywhere from their mouth and nose for at least a couple days before they have symptoms.  This means YOU could be shedding it right this instant and feel fine.  If you cough or sneeze, you expel a huge could of particles.  A proper mask will contain most of this.  Unfortunately, cloth masks allow most of it to pass right through.  If you are vaccinated and get COVID, it’s far more likely that you will have a mild or even asymptomatic course.  Unvaccinated, and you have a much greater possibility to linger in an ICU on life support for the last month of your life.  There are a few exceptions to both, just like with everything else in life.  If EVERYONE wore a mask, it would be far harder for the virus to spread, and rates would fall.  Walking into a store with everyone walking around not wearing masks is like walking into some bar where everyone there is waving guns in your face, except COVID deaths dwarf gun deaths.

All of that to say that I too love the Apple Watch unlock feature for people wearing masks.  I wear a mask everywhere, but not a “fashionable” cloth one.  Never be ashamed for doing the smart thing.

Source: I’m an ICU Physician and reluctant COVID-19 expert that watches people linger on life support and witness firsthand *many* COVID-19 deaths every week despite everything we can do.

TD;DR: Cloth masks don’t work, but wear a mask.  Vaccines don’t prevent you from getting COVID, but do prevent it from killing you.  Apple Watch iPhone unlock with masks is awesome.
    edited December 2021 williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 17 of 19
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    A mini looking like that would be perfect.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Fred257 said:
    The new iOS release will support FaceID with mask on, no need for an Apple Watch.
    the fact that Apple’s products work well together increases the benefits. Should you choose to use them, but there’s no “need” for it. Unlocking my M1 Pro with my AppleWatch is instantaneous as soon as I open the lid, no Touch ID needed. Is it “necessary”? No. Is it convenient? Yes, very much so. Apple’s products have a value per se and then an added value when working together. Even Google understands that, so much so that they declared they also want to increase interoperability among their lineup.
    Always on screen could be interesting admittedly. But swiping from left to right reveals all of your widgets, including weather, pretty fast as is. The fact that Apple is filling the lock screen with notifications and no other information is a pertinent criticism. But we’ll talk in a year or two when your Pixel won’t receive any OS updates, security or otherwise.
    Nice for you that you found the Pixel better. Believe me, I shoot video often (2 daughters). There’s no better device than the iPhone for doing it. The quality of video is simply
    stunning. And has been for a long time. So much so that I am rocking an iPhone 11Pro with no intention of replacing it until the 14 shows up. Which will make it a solid 4 years of use.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Fred257 said:
    Hysterical shitpost. 
    williamlondon