Foxconn India workers beset by worms in food, no running water

Posted:
in General Discussion
As Apple puts Foxconn's southern India iPhone plant on "probation," workers have revealed more details of unsanitary conditions, and meals that had worms crawling through them.

Despite a protest forcing Foxconn to close its Sriperumbudur, and Apple imposing "probation" on the company, few details were released about the specific issues over working conditions.

Now according to Reuters, the protest was chiefly led by women working at the plant -- and some of those women have revealed what made it necessary.

"People living in the hostels always had some illness or the other -- skin allergies, chest pain, food poisoning," one worker who quit the plant after the protest, told Reuters. "We didn't make a big deal out of it because we thought it will be fixed. But now, it affected a lot of people."

Until some unspecified time recently, these continuous illnesses reportedly included food poisoning that affected one or two workers. The protest began when the food, including worms, sickened more than 250 workers.

According to six women involved in the protests, all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, workers were expected to sleep on the floor. Rooms housed between six and thirty women, and two sources said their hostel room had toilets without running water.

Local laws reportedly require each worker to be allocated at least 120 square feet of living space. There are also hygiene and fire safety standards that should have applied to the workers' hostels.

Foxconn has told local officials that it "ramped up production too quickly." However, it has now agreed to meet its legal requirements and follow government recommendations.

Apple has not commented on the further detail. However, in a statement following the protests, a spokesperson said that Apple was "working with the supplier to ensure a comprehensive set of corrective actions are rapidly implemented."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    👨‍⚕️ will put the severest investigation into place so this will NEVER happen again - until next time
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Jake says "Thank You!"

ravnorodomfred1jace88lkruppTRAG
  • Reply 3 of 17
    India is a tropical country. Foxconn forgot to factor in enormous refrigerating system to keep the food supply fresh. Oops.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Foxconn doesn't give a shit about workers. If they did they would never contract with local firms that would even allow this BS to continue. They only care about profit. If they could involve slave labor, they would. Apple needs to find a better partner. This will continue to be a problem with Foxconn in the picture.
    12Strangerswilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 5 of 17
    The fact of the truth lies in where these worms come from? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 17

No, that’s a detail.  Apple should have been monitoring this all along and making sure it never happened. Because Apple. 
    williamlondonlkruppbyronl
  • Reply 7 of 17

No, that’s a detail.  Apple should have been monitoring this all along and making sure it never happened. Because Apple. 
    No! Apple has hundreds of suppliers. It cannot do this to every supplier, there are too many. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

No! Apple has hundreds of suppliers. It cannot do this to every supplier, there are too many. 
    That's their problem.  They can and they should.
    12Strangersmuthuk_vanalingambyronl
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Jake says "Thank You!"

I’m sorry to be a ___k but this is not funny in any way.
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Well Foxconn Chinese for sure did not prep the food, the Indians did. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    1. We live in a time where companies are only as good as their weakest link in the production process including external contractors/suppliers, especially when said company is a behemoth with clear power/influence to actually drive change. Apple really does have a key role to play in this given how their actions or inactions will shape not just their own 'partners' but also set the tone for the rest of the industry/sector.

2. That being said, I do balance my thought process on this particular topic with respect to India which has implemented some pretty strong 'protectionist' measures and suspect Apple/Foxconn are only doing what they need to do to meet these measures. I do wonder how big of a market India is for Apple though.

3. I appreciated the Shawshank reference above... watched it again a couple of weeks ago.

GeorgeBMaclkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I don't understand why Apple does not put a couple of employees in those factories to oversee this. Seems like an easy fix to prevent this.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    How does something like this happen? Another example of business taking advantage of corrupt and ineffective government. See Bhopal Union Carbide. 

• Reply 14 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    michelb76 said:
    I don't understand why Apple does not put a couple of employees in those factories to oversee this. Seems like an easy fix to prevent this.
    Yeah, according to anonymous tech blog posters solutions to things like this are always obvious and simple. it would be a simple matter for Apple to... (insert issue here).
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Jake says "Thank You!"

George, you and I don’t see eye-to-eye on many things but today, YOU WIN THE INTERNET!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    michelb76 said:
    This is a good question. After a couple thoughts, I have come up with an example. Foxconn is a supplier to Apple. This is similar to your mechanic. You brought a car to a garage to fix a problem. Some mechanic may not work on your car properly. The question is can you stand inside the garage watching how mechanic does the job? Does US allow you to do that? Or does US allow the mechanic tell you to stay away? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    michelb76 said:

The U.S. FDA doesn't even put employees in food and pharmaceutical plants they are charged with inspecting.   They rely on the plants to inspect themselves.  And that's they're paid to do - inspect!