Roundup: Best accessories for Apple's new M1 iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Pre-orders are live for Apple's latest colorful iMac and we've gathered the best accessories to consider for your M1-based desktop.

Accessories for the 24-inch iMac
Accessories for the 24-inch iMac

The 24-inch iMac has been redesigned from the ground up with the M1 processor at its core. The redesign emphasizes a slim chassis and seven vibrant colors. AppleInsider has rounded up a variety of accessories to complement the new M1 desktop, with prices starting at under $30.

About the 24-inch iMac

Just like the other M1-based Macs, there are some limitations to consider that aren't present in Apple's older Intel models. The 24-inch iMac, which starts at $1,299, has only two USB 4/Thunderbolt ports in any configuration. Only one of those ports can be used for an external monitor of any kind.

The colorful 24-inch iMac
The colorful 24-inch iMac

Otherwise, the USB 4 ports are backward compatible with any Thunderbolt 3 device or product with a Type-C connector. There is a higher-end model iMac that has two additional ports, but they are only USB 3 Type C ports, not Thunderbolt or USB 4.

Check out our monitor roundup to find a good choice for your M1-based Mac.

Apple announced a slew of new color-coordinated accessories to match the new iMac. The wireless Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad all have color accents that match each of the seven iMac colors. Customers can add these accessories at checkout, but Apple hasn't made them available for sale separately yet.

Best Accessories for the M1 iMac

While the 24-inch iMac already has a new and improved 1080p webcam, Spatial Audio speakers, and microphone, there are still some accessories you'll need to complete your setup.

OWC Thunderbolt Hub

OWC Thunderbolt 3 Hub
OWC Thunderbolt 3 Hub

The 24-inch iMac only has two USB 4/Thunderbolt ports regardless of the configuration purchased. That means users may want to opt for some kind of dock or hub to attach wired accessories from.

The OWC Thunderbolt Hub is one of the first hubs to multiply the number of Thunderbolt ports available to the user. Connect up to four Thunderbolt accessories and an external display up to 6K.

It has a 60-watt charging passthrough that provides up to 15W of power to each Thunderbolt-connected device. The standard USB A port provides up to 1.5A for bus-powered accessories.

The OWC Thunderbolt Hub is available from MacSales for pre-order for $149.99. New orders ship in May 2021.

Plugable single monitor hub

The Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Dock is perfect for customers who want more port versatility and don't need as many Thunderbolt devices. This dock provides 60W of power passthrough.

It has four USB 3 Type-A ports, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a single DisplayPort output, Gigabit Ethernet, a front-facing USB 3 port, and a headphone jack. When used with an M1-based Mac, users can only connect a single monitor via DisplayPort or Thunderbolt.

The Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Dock is available on Amazon for $199.00.

OWC USB 4 cable

OWC USB 4 cable
OWC USB 4 cable

The 24-inch iMac comes with two USB 4 ports, so having a USB 4 cable or two would maximize compatibility. The USB 4 standard is fully backward compatible with USB 3 and Thunderbolt, so the OWC USB 4 cable can truly be one-size-fits-all.

This cable supports up to 8K video output, 40GB/s data transfer rates, and can deliver up to 100W of power. It can be used with any device that has a USB Type C port without worry about compatibility.

The OWC USB 4 cable is available on MacSales for $27.99.

LaCie Rugged SSD Pro

LaCie Rugged SSD Pro
LaCie Rugged SSD Pro

Although the iMac isn't exactly portable, a portable external SSD goes a long way. With more devices adopting USB 4, like the iPad Pro, users will want a versatile storage device that works anywhere.

It is rated for Thunderbolt 3 and has a 2,800 MB/s data transfer rate. Connect this SSD directly to the iMac or via a Thunderbolt 3 dock for best performance.

The LaCie Rugged SSD Pro is available on B&H in a 1TB configuration for $399.99 or 2TB configuration for $699.99.

Twelve South Curve Riser Monitor Stand

Twelve South Curve Riser
Twelve South Curve Riser

The iMac doesn't have a height-adjustable stand, but that doesn't mean you have to settle with looking down at your screen. There are a variety of stands purpose-built for the iMac, and Twelve South builds one of the more elegant solutions.

The Curve Riser is made of solid aluminum and brings the iMac to a more comfortable height. It has a small storage shelf, too, so you'll have a place to keep connected accessories or your keyboard when not in use.

The Twelve South Curve Riser is available for $79.99 on Amazon.

HP OfficeJet Pro 8035e All-in-One Printer

HP OfficeJet Pro
HP OfficeJet Pro

Getting a colorful desktop means you might want colorful accessories. While many computer companies settle on black or white, a rare exception is made. The latest HP OfficeJet Pro comes in three colors: basalt, coral, and oasis.

Add this printer to your desktop for its range of functionality at a reasonable price. It prints at 4800 by 1200 dpi, can scan documents at 1200 dpi, and supports wireless printing. This printer also supports automatic two-sided printing.

HP is offering a year of free ink when the customer registers the printer with HP+. Purchase this printer in one of three colors from B&H for $199.99.

AirPods Max

AirPods Max
AirPods Max

In a rare show of color, Apple released the high-end AirPods Max with five color options. You'll find silver, space gray, blue, pink, and green color options to match with the iMac's pastel front covers. Computer accessory makers rarely add color to their designs, especially when designing for Apple, so Apple's AirPods Max can bring a splash of color to complement your new setup.

The AirPods Max are $549.00 through Amazon and other retailers.

Sony XM4 Wireless Headphones

If the AirPods Max price is too much to swallow, then Sony has a great competitive option. The Sony XM4 headphones offer noise cancellation, digital sound enhancement, and 30-hour battery life.

The XM4s charge via USB C and have a separate headphone jack to plug directly into your iMac. A quick charge feature enables the headphones to charge for 10 minutes and provide 5 hours of playback.

The Sony XM4 Wireless Headphones are available in either black or white on Adorama's website for $278.00.

dBrand decals

dBrand iMac decal
dBrand iMac decal

dBrand has created a series of decals to make the new iMac design more palatable for those who aren't fans of Apple's design choices. If you don't want a white bezel around the screen, a pastel-colored chin, or just dislike the lack of a black option -- dBrand has you covered.

There aren't any of dBrand's usual options for decals for the 24-inch iMac. Instead, the company decided that a simple matte black finish would satisfy enough users.

Get the bezel decal for $49.95, the front decal for $59.95, or the entire body decal for $499.95 on dBrand's website.
Each skin includes the last, so the front decal will include the bezel decal and so on. Pre-orders for the decals are available now, with shipments beginning in June.
LedMatrix

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Is anyone offering a Apple logo decal (black) to put on the M1 iMac's chin?

The back of my iMac faces the wall. Doesn't Apple want its desktop product to be recognizable from the front?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Nice article.  The Sony Headphones are $149 on Amazon.
    However, my concern is with supported USB Memory drives and external disks.
    So many disks are not recognized in Mac OS 12.x (Monterey) and my existing USB 3.0 drives are very, very slow moving data through the USB-C ports, which require a physical plug adaptor.

I backup using TimeMachine to a G-Drive disk array that used Thunderbolt 3 connections.  To connect it to he my new iMac, I have to use an Apple Thunderbolt dongle ($35).  Nobody makes a simple cable for this which really worries me.  

The OWC Hub you featured is not on the Apple web site or Amazon - they only show a smaller travel sized OWC Travel Dock or a $320 14-port Dock.  I'm still looking for one that was designed to work with the M1 macs.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    MacCat20 said:
    Nice article.  The Sony Headphones are $149 on Amazon.
    However, my concern is with supported USB Memory drives and external disks.
    So many disks are not recognized in Mac OS 12.x (Monterey) and my existing USB 3.0 drives are very, very slow moving data through the USB-C ports, which require a physical plug adaptor.

I backup using TimeMachine to a G-Drive disk array that used Thunderbolt 3 connections.  To connect it to he my new iMac, I have to use an Apple Thunderbolt dongle ($35).  Nobody makes a simple cable for this which really worries me.  

The OWC Hub you featured is not on the Apple web site or Amazon - they only show a smaller travel sized OWC Travel Dock or a $320 14-port Dock.  I'm still looking for one that was designed to work with the M1 macs.
    The OWC Hub works fine with M1 or Intel. https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/11/02/owc-thunderbolt-hub-review-three-thunderbolt-ports-from-one-host-connector

As far as a more all-purpose dock, my personal favorite is the CalDigit TS3+. Used it on my 2018 MBP and now my 16-inch M1 Max MBP with no issues.