New MacBook Air predicted to have 'marginally faster' Apple Silicon M2 processor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Truth here is that MagSafe is appropriate for the current MBA line as many users play with Medium load apps like photoshop. Probably the biggest target demographic of the MBA line is students, and they will forget to charge overnight and always bring a charger and MagSafe will prevent many bad trip wire situations.
    MplsPwilliamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 38
    neilm said:
    uffenman said:
    MagSafe makes perfect sense for the laptops which consume larger amounts of power like MBPs. It is not needed for MB/MBA’s.
    Strongly disagree.

Other than its obvious safety and convenience benefits, Magsafe also frees up a TB port for uses other than charging, such as video, external drive, etc., without the need for an external dongle or dock. The new Magsafe 3 port on my 2021 MBP 14" is no taller than a USB-C port, so there could be room for one on an updated MBA without compromising that model's primary "thin and light" mission.
    Actually you’re right about this.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bageljoey said:
    I may have to pick up one of these. Two questions:
    Would the update allow for a second external display?
    Can you charge through the Thunderbolt ports or only the MagSafe?
    It’s only a rumor, sir. How would anyone know the answer to your questions? 
  • Reply 24 of 38
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member

The rumor mill is also suggesting that Apple will resurrect the "MacBook" title it last used in 2019.

Read on AppleInsider
    This would make sense. Once upon a time, the "Air" really was featherlight compared to Apple's other laptops. More recently though, it has tipped the scales at just a few ounces lighter than the MacBook Pro 13" so the "Air" moniker no longer applied. (The true heir to the Air name was the MacBook 12" which weighed in at just 2 lbs.) I wonder if the current Air will live on in its current form factor as least expensive gateway into Mac laptops. 
  • Reply 25 of 38
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 833member
    netrox said:
    Apple needs to stop listening to customers 

Just... wow. I was going to comment on this but I think the inanity of it speaks for itself. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 38
    charlesn said:
    netrox said:
    Apple needs to stop listening to customers 

Just... wow. I was going to comment on this but I think the inanity of it speaks for itself
    Lol. Well said.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    MplsP said:
    netrox said:
    MagSafe just has to go. It's ridiculous. If they want the safety of not getting their laptop yanked out, get the adaptor. MagSafe adds more unnecessary waste of resources. 

netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:
    MagSafe makes perfect sense for the laptops which consume larger amounts of power like MBPs. It is not needed for MB/MBA’s.
    Yeah, no. It sounds like you never owned a MacBook with MagSafe back in the day. There’s a reason why so many people have been literally begging Apple to bring it back, and it has little to do with the delivery of power. It has everything to do with avoiding the pain of watching your laptop fall to the floor, in slow motion, when the cord gets tripped over or inadvertently pulled. 
    Just no. There are things that customers just have to accept that some things should not come back. 

Apple caved in and now the MacBook Pro looks so outdated. It looks unsightly. Ports have been reduced to serving only specific functionality (MagSafe being power and HDMI being video/audio) while USB4 provides all functionality: power and data, including video and audio. 

Apple needs to stop listening to customers and think about providing the best UX, not what customers think will be best. Customers have been wrong many times. Over and over. 

If you want MagSafe, fine, get a tiny adaptor to do that job. Simple as that. Want HDMI? Get an HDMI to USB-C cable. 

No. MagSafe is superior to USB C for charging in every way. More power, more secure, easier to connect and it has a light to indicate charging status. I've tried magnetic USB C adapters - they suck. If you really hate MagSafe that much then don't use it. Personally, I buy a computer to use, you seem to be more concerned with it looking pretty. 

It's funny how you say customers are wrong and Apple is right, yet you're a customer and Apple put MagSafe in the computer. I guess you must be wrong!

Magsafe 3 is based on USB-PD, but Apple is the only one that uses 140-watt.  It's essentially another USB device.
    But hey, that's 2016 we're talking about, assuming if Type-C accessories have caught up.  It didn't, but MagSafe isn't that proprietary too.
    edited January 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Japhey said:
    netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:
    Yeah, no. It sounds like you never owned a MacBook with MagSafe back in the day. There’s a reason why so many people have been literally begging Apple to bring it back, and it has little to do with the delivery of power. It has everything to do with avoiding the pain of watching your laptop fall to the floor, in slow motion, when the cord gets tripped over or inadvertently pulled. 
    Just no. There are things that customers just have to accept that some things should not come back. 

Apple caved in and now the MacBook Pro looks so outdated. It looks unsightly. Ports have been reduced to serving only specific functionality (MagSafe being power and HDMI being video/audio) while USB4 provides all functionality: power and data, including video and audio. 

Apple needs to stop listening to customers and think about providing the best UX, not what customers think will be best. Customers have been wrong many times. Over and over. 

If you want MagSafe, fine, get a tiny adaptor to do that job. Simple as that. Want HDMI? Get an HDMI to USB-C cable. 

Apple should stop listening to customers? That’s an interesting business strategy you’ve got there. I wonder how long they, or anyone, would last with this “the customer is always wrong” approach. 

The best UX is whatever allows the customer to do the job they bought the TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR laptop for in the first place. Not everyone feels like carrying around and keeping track of a bunch of adapters, dongles, cords, hubs, and docks. Most people prefer to simply turn on their machine and get to it. 

Yes, customers have been wrong many times. But so has Apple and every other company in the world that makes the shit we buy. That’s what happened here. Apple tried something new, the customers (overwhelmingly) preferred the way it was before, so Apple acquiesced and gave it back to them. If you don’t like the way the new models look (lol), then stick with the more sightly Intel ones…they should still be good for a while.
    🙄️Intel MacBook Pros will haunt all of us for years to come.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:

The industry is moving toward more cores with higher power consumption, so the old idea of being "thin and powerful" will not be sufficient today.  The MacBook Pro needs to beef up or it won't stand much chance.

I get why you're upset, I'm upset thanks to Intel, who'd thought they'll f---ed up this bad.  With that said, the old idea isn't working.  Time to move on.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    For Macbook Air, long due both sides USB-C ports is no-brainer excellent idea.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    netrox said:
    Customers have been wrong many times. Over and over. 
    And Apple has been too dude. 
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstang
  • Reply 32 of 38
    toddzrx said:
    netrox said:
    Customers have been wrong many times. Over and over. 
    And Apple has been too dude. 
    Yeah, though it's not that the M1 MacBook Pro is an instant success and touch bars are a major embarrassment.
    MplsP
  • Reply 33 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    netrox said:
    MagSafe just has to go. It's ridiculous. If they want the safety of not getting their laptop yanked out, get the adaptor. MagSafe adds more unnecessary waste of resources. 

netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:

No. MagSafe is superior to USB C for charging in every way. More power, more secure, easier to connect and it has a light to indicate charging status. I've tried magnetic USB C adapters - they suck. If you really hate MagSafe that much then don't use it. Personally, I buy a computer to use, you seem to be more concerned with it looking pretty. 

It's funny how you say customers are wrong and Apple is right, yet you're a customer and Apple put MagSafe in the computer. I guess you must be wrong!

Magsafe 3 is based on USB-PD, but Apple is the only one that uses 140-watt.  It's essentially another USB device.
    But hey, that's 2016 we're talking about, assuming if Type-C accessories have caught up.  It didn't, but MagSafe isn't that proprietary too.
    Source on this? USB PD was expanded up to 240W but the spec was just released in 2021 and I haven't seen any controllers out much less anything saying MBPs use a USB controller for MagSafe charging. 
  • Reply 34 of 38
    mjtomlin said:
    longpath said:
    My concern with resurrecting the MacBook name is the possibility of it only offering USB-C, without Thunderbolt, as was the case with the prior model. The current Air, ought not to be succeeded by a model that drops Thunderbolt.

Not sure why you would think that? All M1’s have Thunderbolt controllers on the SoC so why wouldn’t they do the same for the M2?
    Why would they resurrect a product name that specifically lacked Thunderbolt support when every other Mac on sale at the time had it? My conjecture was based on the facts of the original, and its distinguishing hallmark of lacking what every other contemporary Mac had. 
  • Reply 35 of 38
    MplsP said:
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    netrox said:

netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:

Source on this? USB PD was expanded up to 240W but the spec was just released in 2021 and I haven't seen any controllers out much less anything saying MBPs use a USB controller for MagSafe charging. 
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/10/20/magsafe-on-the-latest-macbook-pros-everything-you-need-to-know

https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/19/16-inch-macbook-pro-charger-limitation/amp/
  • Reply 36 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    longpath said:
    mjtomlin said:
    longpath said:
    My concern with resurrecting the MacBook name is the possibility of it only offering USB-C, without Thunderbolt, as was the case with the prior model. The current Air, ought not to be succeeded by a model that drops Thunderbolt.

Not sure why you would think that? All M1’s have Thunderbolt controllers on the SoC so why wouldn’t they do the same for the M2?
    Why would they resurrect a product name that specifically lacked Thunderbolt support when every other Mac on sale at the time had it? My conjecture was based on the facts of the original, and its distinguishing hallmark of lacking what every other contemporary Mac had. 
    Pretty weak concern trolling.  Of course it will have Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    netrox said:

netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/10/20/magsafe-on-the-latest-macbook-pros-everything-you-need-to-know

Thanks - I had completely forgotten that the other end of the MagSafe cable was usb c, but as far as the computer itself goes, all I’ve seen indicates it’s a dedicated charge port, not a dedicated USB port. 
  • Reply 38 of 38
    MplsP said:
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    DuhSesame said:
    MplsP said:
    netrox said:

netrox said:
    Japhey said:
    uffenman said:

Thanks - I had completely forgotten that the other end of the MagSafe cable was usb c, but as far as the computer itself goes, all I’ve seen indicates it’s a dedicated charge port, not a dedicated USB port. 
    Yeah, I think Apple is building a standard for themselves, probably compatible across Macs with ≤140w of power.