Chipolo announces wallet-sized Bluetooth tracker to work with Find My

Posted:
in General Discussion
At the 2022 CES, Chipolo debuted a Find My-enabled Bluetooth tracker that can easily fit into your wallet.

Chipolo CARD Spot
Chipolo CARD Spot

The Card Spot is the second Find My capable device to come from Chipolo, following the launch of the Chipolo One Spot that debuted with the launch of the Find My program. By integrating directly with Find My, the device will show in the Find My app and won't require any third-party app to function.

Once added to the Find My app, it can be located with any iOS, iPadOS, or macOS device. To help locate it, it is able to emit a 105dB tone at up to 200 feet away.

If misplaced, the Chipolo Card Spot can be put into lost mode. When in lost mode, its location will be transmitted to the owner when any iPhone, iPad, or Mac comes nearby. If someone other than the owner finds the device, it can be scanned to pull up optional contact details to help facilitate its return.

Chipolo CARD Spot
Chipolo CARD Spot

"Following the success of the Chipolo ONE Spot, we decided to introduce a wallet finder that also works exclusively with the Apple Find My network," said Primo Zelenek, CEO of Chipolo. "Keeping our clients' valuables safe is what we do best and it felt like a natural choice for us to introduce a smart card that can be slipped into almost any wallet whilst keeping it safe with the backing of Apple's powerful and secure finding network."

The built-in battery will last up to two years and the IPX5 rating will protect it from splashes or rain. It measures only 2.4mm thick, or roughly that of three credit cards stacked together.

Chipolo is opening up preorders for the Card Spot starting on Tuesday and it will begin shipping in February.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2022 Consumer Electronics Show in person starting on January 3 through January 6 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    Do these third party devices have the same anti-stalking features as AirTags?  I can see the phone alerts being universal, since I assume that's implemented phone-side, but the beeping when moved after X number of hours isn't.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Recently returned chipolos after reading their “privacy” policy. They share your info with everyone and anyone from Amazon to zucker.

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Dogperson said:
    Recently returned chipolos after reading their “privacy” policy. They share your info with everyone and anyone from Amazon to zucker.

With the Find My-enabled versions, they have no access to your data. You don't use the Chipolo app, it is all done through Find My, encrypted, and private.
    twokatmewJapheybyronlwatto_cobrauraharaStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 10
    No UWB, no buy. 

I'm most likely to misplace my wallet nearby, not 50 miles away.

Sigh, we the forgetful always remember this pain (but never the things we're looking for).
    twokatmewbyronl12Strangerswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    ikjadoon said:
    No UWB, no buy. 

I'm most likely to misplace my wallet nearby, not 50 miles away.

Sigh, we the forgetful always remember this pain (but never the things we're looking for).
    It can still make noise, as well as help you recover it if you leave it anywhere, so I don't think UWB is a dealbreaker here. Plus, not sure third-party Find My items can include the Precise Tracking feature. So this will be the most capable wallet tracker out there other than putting an AirTag in your wallet
    twokatmewbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    This is just the form factor I want. I’ll be among the first.
    watto_cobracuriousrun8
  • Reply 7 of 10
    erioerio Posts: 28member
    Would've been nice if it had wireless charging
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Just preordered this to replace my Tile Slim, which is currently the last Tile I’m still using. I think it was a big mistake on Tile’s part to decide against supporting FindMy. Their network just can’t compete. When I leave something behind with an AirTag, it’s location is updated many times a day, versus Tile where I’m lucky if it updates at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    maltz said:
    Do these third party devices have the same anti-stalking features as AirTags?  I can see the phone alerts being universal, since I assume that's implemented phone-side, but the beeping when moved after X number of hours isn't.
    It applies to all Find My network devices, including AirPods, the exception being the MagSafe wallet, which only reports its location when removed from the back of your iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Nice!
    Too bad I don't carry a wallet any more!  Just my phone with my driver's license and a credit card for those backward places who fail to accept Apple Pay.