Google's next project is making its ecosystem more like Apple's

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google is working to bring Apple-style ecosystem integration to its family of devices and services so that they "work better together."

Google's Better Together project will bring Apple-like integration to the company's ecosystem
Google's Better Together project will bring Apple-like integration to the company's ecosystem

The new "Better Together" endeavor, announced during CES 2022, will include familiar features like the ability to more quickly and easily pair Bluetooth headphones to Android devices, or the option to unlock paired Android or Chromebook models with a Wear OS 3 smartwatch -- something that has been an Apple Watch feature for a while.

Additionally, Google is making it easier to share content across Android and Chromebook devices. One feature will allow Bluetooth headphones to automatically switch to any device that a user is currently on, much like AirPods do.

Google is also making a number of third-party integrations as part of its "Better Together" initiative. For example, it'll allow users to cast audio content to other brands, including Bose smart speakers and soundbars. Android users will also be able to integrate their smartphones with Windows laptops -- allowing them to use Fast Pair and sync text messages -- starting with Acer and HP devices later in 2022.

The new integrations and convenience features are set to roll out later in 2022, although the exact timeframe ranges from "in the coming weeks" to "in the coming months." They'll debut on Android smartphones, Chromebook, and Android TV, among other devices.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    “Apple-style”…that’s funny. All of Android’s existence is Apple-style. 
    edited January 2022 scstrrflkruppcat52Anilu_777Alex_VStrangeDaysBeatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 25
    jas99jas99 Posts: 148member
    Good luck getting it to work. 
    And wait about five seconds for each feature to be exploited by black hats emptying bank accounts. 
    scstrrfAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    And then they’ll kill it off in the blink of an eye. 
    scstrrfwilliamlondonravnorodomKTRAnilu_777Alex_VStrangeDaysBeatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 25
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Is this admission that what Google is doing, isn’t working??
    williamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But isn’t the goal to break up Apple’s ecosystem because it’s unfair and anti-competitive for both users and developers? /s
    edited January 2022 williamlondonAnilu_777Alex_VBeatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    geekmee said:
    Well, when the iPhone was released in 2007 Google engineers quickly realized they would have to start over. This is no different.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonAnilu_777Alex_Vsconosciutowatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Similarly, Apple could consider “making its enterprise/org/productivity ecosystem more like Google’s”.
    Fred257
  • Reply 8 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Google is like that one kid with an attention-span issue.  Can't finish one thing without getting distracted and doing something else.

Good luck.
    Anilu_777itinj24Alex_Vmacxpresswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Similarly, Apple could consider “making its enterprise/org/productivity ecosystem more like Google’s”.
    I must admit Google Suite is insane for sharing documents, spreadsheets etc. Apple needs to get this good for Enterprise. 
  • Reply 10 of 25
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    geekmee said:
    No, it's Google admission that what Apple is doing, it's better. Google admission that what they are doing, isn't working, will come when this project is completed.

It's easy for Apple to have AirPods seamlessly connect from an iPhone to an Apple Watch to an iPad to a Mac and then to an Apple TV. Apple has full control of the software and hardware.

Much more difficult for Google to have Pixel Buds seamlessly connect from an OnePlus Android phone to a Fitbit Android watch to a Samsung Android tablet to an Asus ChromeBook and then to a Xiaomi Mi Android TV box. Google don't have full control of the customizable Android by each of the device makers, much less the full control of their hardware.    
    gatorguyGabywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 25
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    Pathetic MeToo strategy ....
    Alex_VBeatswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    I’ve been an Apple fan since 1997. I’ve been coming to this site Apple Insider for that long. I bought a new MacBook Pro this holiday season. But, I recently bought a pixel 6 for a couple of reasons. The first is Touch ID. I hate Face ID unless I’m at home. It’s impossible at my job to keep track of everything with masks on and keep having to use my passcode to unlock it every time. It’s also impossible for me to setup my phone to make it automatically play when it connects to Bluetooth. It’s also impossible to reset themes and icons to my liking. Are Apple phones nicer? Yes. I use the mini at home. But, unless there is Touch ID (because of the pandemic) and more customization options where you don’t need a science degree to implement them In not going back to Apples phones ever again 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Fred257 said:
    I’ve been an Apple fan since 1997. I’ve been coming to this site Apple Insider for that long. I bought a new MacBook Pro this holiday season. But, I recently bought a pixel 6 for a couple of reasons. The first is Touch ID. I hate Face ID unless I’m at home. It’s impossible at my job to keep track of everything with masks on and keep having to use my passcode to unlock it every time. It’s also impossible for me to setup my phone to make it automatically play when it connects to Bluetooth. It’s also impossible to reset themes and icons to my liking. Are Apple phones nicer? Yes. I use the mini at home. But, unless there is Touch ID (because of the pandemic) and more customization options where you don’t need a science degree to implement them In not going back to Apples phones ever again 

OK
    williamlondonsconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Fred257 said:
    Who’s going to tell him that that instead of switching platforms because of FaceID to unlock and losing all his apps and media and now having to work with multiple platforms that aren’t synced, he could have just got an iPhone SE or a Watch?
    edited January 2022 BeatsroundaboutnowwilliamlondonsconosciutoDogpersonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    davidw said:
    geekmee said:
    No, it's Google admission that what Apple is doing, it's better. Google admission that what they are doing, isn't working, will come when this project is completed.

It's easy for Apple to have AirPods seamlessly connect from an iPhone to an Apple Watch to an iPad to a Mac and then to an Apple TV. Apple has full control of the software and hardware.

Much more difficult for Google to have Pixel Buds seamlessly connect from an OnePlus Android phone to a Fitbit Android watch to a Samsung Android tablet to an Asus ChromeBook and then to a Xiaomi Mi Android TV box. Google don't have full control of the customizable Android by each of the device makers, much less the full control of their hardware.    
    Ha, it’s “easy”… Compliment to software dev teams everywhere that it seems easy. But in reality I’m putting money on it not being easy to invent new mini-computers shrunk into ear pods and running custom software to sync between devices and form factors seamlessly. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Nice!

Get your knockoff iPhone by Huawei connected to your headphone-jacked Bose headphones to sync to your knockoff iPad from Samsung to transfer browser data to your knockoff MacBook from Xiaomi before you hit the gym with your knockoff Apple Watch from Oppo which tracks fitness data via Google!

Apple stays behind as usual! Apple users are “sheep” because they don’t buy into the anti-Apple propaganda! Buying an iPhone is dumb.
    Why?

Samsung Galaxy S30 has a better screen.
    Xiaomi MiPhone 13 Pro has a better camera
    Huawei Mate XS has a better selfie camera.
    Oppo has better speakers
    HTC has better TouchID
    ZTE has better water resistance
    OnePlus has a headphone jack
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Fred257 said:
    Not this shit again, go to MacRumors ffs.
    sconosciutowatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Back in 1990's Microsoft tried to compete with Novell Office Products. It fell on its face. MS Office could never keep up with Novell in innovation. It became to be known as copycat company. So what did Billy Gates do? He used MS wealth to kill Novell. MS have wealth and it will buy businesses to keep an edge as long as it has ability to recognize one. Google is following the same path.
    Apple on the otherhand "was" a innovator and and  still surviving on Steve "Syrian Muslim son" Jobs iPhone. Mr Cook has not shown any  innovative type leadership. Google hires top students graduating from top colleges but unfortunately they are least type who can think outside the box. Top performers requires textbook silo thinking. So its effort will doom.
    US is mired in mud of its own success. Elon Musk is worshipped and everyone thinks he is innovator but far from it. He did not invent tesla and rockets were bought from Russia to start Space X. He is super businessman who recognized  opportunity.
    Let see if China can fill the vacuum.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Beats said:
    Nice!

Get your knockoff iPhone by Huawei connected to your headphone-jacked Bose headphones to sync to your knockoff iPad from Samsung to transfer browser data to your knockoff MacBook from Xiaomi before you hit the gym with your knockoff Apple Watch from Oppo which tracks fitness data via Google!

Apple stays behind as usual! Apple users are “sheep” because they don’t buy into the anti-Apple propaganda! Buying an iPhone is dumb.
    Why?

Samsung Galaxy S30 has a better screen.
    Xiaomi MiPhone 13 Pro has a better camera
    Huawei Mate XS has a better selfie camera.
    Oppo has better speakers
    HTC has better TouchID
    ZTE has better water resistance
    OnePlus has a headphone jack

Excellent insight. I hope Cook is reading this. Mr Cook is living of iPhone ecosystem and will retire as soon as he finds the momentum dying. 
    You get rid of its advertizement, its valuation will drop 25%. You get rid of design advantage another 25% and another 25% is ability of connectivity.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 25
    geekmee said:
    Therr valuation us what??? $2.5 Trillion. Its good to be flunky and worth Trillion.
    williamlondon