Sports Illustrated swimsuit model says she was tracked for hours with AirTag

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2022
Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Brooks Nader was tracked for five hours while bar hopping on Wednesday night after a stranger apparently slipped an Apple AirTag into her coat pocket.

Apple's AirTag tracking accessory
Apple's AirTag tracking accessory

Nader, 26, detailed the incident in an Instagram post on Thursday. Nader said that she left her coat on the back of a chair, which is when someone could have placed the AirTag in her pocket. After that, she says the person stalked her for five hours as she went bar-hopping in New York City.

She was only alerted to the stalking when a notification appeared on her iPhone that said an unknown accessory was moving with her. She discovered the AirTag in her coat after she got home.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Sports Illustrated Swimsuit (@si_swimsuit)

"It was the scariest, scariest moment ever," she said in the Instagram post. "And I just want everyone to be aware of that this exists."

Prior to the stalking, Nader said that she had no idea that AirTags even existed. Now, she is using her large social media following to raise awareness of the potential safety risks.

There have been a number of reports of AirTags being used to stalk people and facilitate theft after the accessory's release in April 2021.

Apple says the devices are designed to prevent stalking, however.

AirTags feature anti-stalking mechanisms such as the alert that notified Nader. They also play a beeping sound after they've been out of range of the owner's iPhone. Those are features currently missing from other tracking devices, such as those made by Tile.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Don't use Airtags to stalk someone with an iPhone. Problem solved.
    williamlondonF_Kent_DBosascstrrf
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Now, she is using her large social media following to raise awareness of the potential safety risks.“

Everything has its risks. The anti-stalk-warning worked precisely as intended. If she informs people, fine enough. If she boasts about her social media follower-power I’m already rolling my eyes – this is not an argument. So please, continue to inform but also be informed and think about what you post and do. :)
    williamlondonwaveparticlebadmonkF_Kent_Dj2fusionStrangeDayshammeroftruthscstrrf
  • Reply 3 of 57
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    JFC! Now even more assholes will start blaming Apple for stalkers when they've been using Tile and other devices for well over a decade without their smartphone alerting them. Apple should've just not included a feature to let people know and this focus wouldn't be coming down on them. Kill the messenger, indeed.

To Nader's credit she did say that the silver lining was that Apple informed her that a rogue AirTag was tracking her and she did mention Tile in her comment as also being capable of clandestine tracking in this manner. Unfortunately even AI didn't see fit to mention that aspect of her balanced comment on Instagram. 
    edited January 2022 williamlondonMrBunsideleavingthebiggmuthuk_vanalingambageljoeyStrangeDaysAppleUfmyIcaladanian
  • Reply 4 of 57
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    It's time we had sensible AirTags control.  Background checks, waiting periods, mental health interviews, government registry, limited battery capacity, the works.  If it stops just one stalking...

Or maybe the problem is the person misusing it, but who can truly say?
    williamlondonMrBunsidecat52leavingthebiggfahlman
  • Reply 5 of 57
    If the stalker had only been smart enough to use a GPS tracker instead!
  • Reply 6 of 57
    After doing a little bit of research, we can find that this has been going on for quite some time using other products. The difference is that now you can find out when they’re tracking you with an AirTag, whereas before (with any other product) you simply would never know. Apple has gone to great lengths to make sure this product is not abused, or at least to reduce said abuse. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely a lot better than not knowing, in my opinion. People are reacting as if Apple is evil for allowing this to happen without realizing they’re only finding out thanks to what Apple has done *shrug*
    F_Kent_Dstompyfahlmangregoriusm
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Imagine if she had an Android phone. She might still be unaware. 
    qwerty52fahlmanFred257
  • Reply 8 of 57
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    I guess people haven’t learned how to take precautions. Go out with clothing that zips, check your pockets frequently. And if you find an AirTag, throw it on a police cruiser or a recycling truck. Just a few that I can think of off hand. And people who leave their purses/backpacks open are simply asking for it to happen. 
    williamlondonzoetmb
  • Reply 9 of 57
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    It’s getting ridiculous now with these news stories.   Car thieves and now this.    Technology for technology sake is not necessarily a good thing.  It reminds me of the fascination some have with self driving robot cars, just because it is possible does not mean it should be done or is a good thing.   Perhaps a time is coming soon where these tracking products need to be shut down and banned,  regardless of brand.
    williamlondonopiniondewmeMplsP
  • Reply 10 of 57
    "It was the scariest, scariest moment ever," I wish her luck that this statement continues to be true.

BTW, you can press the top of the AirTag and it will make the iPhone of its owner beep. Find the biggest dude in the bar, hand him the Airtag and tell him to have fun.
    dewmecaladanian
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Doesn’t the air tag give you the contact info of the owner? So she is well aware of who planted it. 
    williamlondonfreeassociate2
  • Reply 12 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Radical feminism used to say all men are rapists. I’m starting to agree in part. These scumbag, perverted sexual predators who stake out the nightlife bars and social clubs seem to be everywhere. Disgusting, slithering slime balls like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby ply their trade with drugs and intimidation.

I’m wondering if the AirTag in this case can be traced back to who bought it.

And our society being what it is I’m waiting for the first class action lawsuit against Apple to be filed, claiming Apple is responsible for enabling the predators. You know it’s coming eventually.
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 13 of 57
    Maybe Apple can implement backtracking in the Find My app that if you are notified an unknown AirTag it will lead you to the divide that is linked to the AirTag? 
    fahlmanMplsP
  • Reply 14 of 57
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    After doing a little bit of research, we can find that this has been going on for quite some time using other products. The difference is that now you can find out when they’re tracking you with an AirTag, whereas before (with any other product) you simply would never know. Apple has gone to great lengths to make sure this product is not abused, or at least to reduce said abuse. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely a lot better than not knowing, in my opinion. People are reacting as if Apple is evil for allowing this to happen without realizing they’re only finding out thanks to what Apple has done *shrug*
    This was exactly my argument here at work. The girl talking crap about AirTags and the ability to stalk someone got caught today red handed with a Tile tracker on her key ring. I told her good luck getting any notifications of someone is stalking you with one of those Tile devices. Geez , can we realize that there are bad people out there that so bad things to good people and just learn to deal with those issues one at a time rather than doing everything possible to destroy the only company that’s actually letting people know something you don’t own is with you?
    stompygregoriusm
  • Reply 15 of 57
    Just a question of AirTags, what do they need to know about you? You will need a iPhone and a Apple ID right? In US, it it possible to have some kind of cellular account where they don’t know who you are? My guess would be is someone else phone discovers your AirTag it will somehow save that information? So the question is if it is possible to use AirTags somehow incognito? Otherwise I would say AirTags is very safe. 
    caladanianMplsP
  • Reply 16 of 57
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    People who are worried about AirTags and security probably don't realize how vulnerable they are to tracking just by carrying a cellphone around with them. Telephone companies can track your exact location anywhere around the world as long as your cellphone is on. They have to be able to track you otherwise your cellphone would never be able to receive calls. In fact, it's not just your cellphone company that can track you, it's any company in the world that has "read access" to the SS7 network. And some of these companies have web portals that allow anyone to (pay and) track any cell number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signalling_System_No._7 <--

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15794292/ss7-hack-dark-web-tap-phone-texts-cyber-crime <-- IMPORTANT TO READ
    MplsP
  • Reply 17 of 57
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    lkrupp said:
    Radical feminism used to say all men are rapists. I’m starting to agree in part. These scumbag, perverted sexual predators who stake out the nightlife bars and social clubs seem to be everywhere. Disgusting, slithering slime balls like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby ply their trade with drugs and intimidation.

I’m wondering if the AirTag in this case can be traced back to who bought it.

And our society being what it is I’m waiting for the first class action lawsuit against Apple to be filed, claiming Apple is responsible for enabling the predators. You know it’s coming eventually.
    JFC, boomer! She didn't say anything about men at all, but you somehow not only jumped to that conclusion but that her comment is "all men are rapists."

I wonder if you'll ever be in favor in equality of the sexes (i.e.: feminism) or will you spend your life believing women should be seen and not heard?
    edited January 2022 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDaysMplsP
  • Reply 18 of 57
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    Who????????
  • Reply 19 of 57
    What she just let people putting stuff in her belongings and she doesn’t even know where I’ll be careful or look for it until she get home that’s probably her fault. That’s just being stupid and come out and say that I let people know how stupid you are? You’re just confirming the rest of the world that how stupid you are it’s embarrassing enough to let people put stuff in your belonging and you don’t even notice and even after it alert you you not bother to look for it until you get home.. Not to mention that now you even come and tell the rest of the people how stupid you are so you are double stupid. Laughing out loud 
  • Reply 20 of 57
    earthkid said:
    What she just let people putting stuff in her belongings and she doesn’t even know where I’ll be careful or look for it until she get home that’s probably her fault. That’s just being stupid and come out and say that I let people know how stupid you are? You’re just confirming the rest of the world that how stupid you are it’s embarrassing enough to let people put stuff in your belonging and you don’t even notice and even after it alert you you not bother to look for it until you get home.. Not to mention that now you even come and tell the rest of the people how stupid you are so you are double stupid. Laughing out loud 
    BS! She is not stupid. 
    opinionjamnapwilliamlondonMplsP