Sports Illustrated swimsuit model says she was tracked for hours with AirTag

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    I just can’t see why Apple came up with this product. Dumb people who keep forgetting where all their stuff is (and they probably have too much of it too) and stalkers and alikes are the Airtags best friends. If you were supposed to use it to track something that could be stolen that feature is lost too since it warns of it’s existence (and I understand that it does to prevent stalking but then again also prevents stolen things to be tracked - a bit of catch 22 moment). Apple could instead have focused on making great Airport hardware again (easy and  safe), or affordable monitors (for us who need an Apple monitor at home or at your office without scaring away the IT-department and give them right about the high prices of Apple products) or iPhones that can take portrait photos of people with light skin tones without making them looking orange and distorted (so that ”everybody looks their best” truly). I miss the days when ”one more thing” meant something great now it just means one more thing (and in the worst case a bad one). To have things just to keep track of your other things is just madness.
    edited January 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 57
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member

BS! She is not stupid. 
    Totally agree. Stop victim blaming.
    jamnapgregoriusmwilliamlondonMplsPanome
  • Reply 23 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    M68000 said:
    It’s getting ridiculous now with these news stories.   Car thieves and now this.    Technology for technology sake is not necessarily a good thing.  It reminds me of the fascination some have with self driving robot cars, just because it is possible does not mean it should be done or is a good thing.   Perhaps a time is coming soon where these tracking products need to be shut down and banned,  regardless of brand.
    Good post.  I think a lot of us here on this forum, myself included, have a certain fascination with technology. This does create a bias that technology is always good and is only here to serve positive interests - at least at first blush. Only upon further reflection and consideration for how the technology could be abused by these crazy life forms that we call humans do we realize that everything has a downside, and someone out there is going to find a way to exploit that downside in the cruelest and most despicable manner.

I’d imagine at least one of the humans who was in the audience assembled for the Wheel 1.0 release event was scheming how he was going to run over and flatten one of his cave mates just as soon as he got his hands on one of those new fangled contraptions. Such is human nature.
    fahlman
  • Reply 24 of 57
    M68000 said:
    It’s getting ridiculous now with these news stories.   Car thieves and now this.    Technology for technology sake is not necessarily a good thing.  It reminds me of the fascination some have with self driving robot cars, just because it is possible does not mean it should be done or is a good thing.   Perhaps a time is coming soon where these tracking products need to be shut down and banned,  regardless of brand.
    Why should they be shut down or banned ? Because someone could get harmed or worse ? Unfortunately this is the world we live in and that stinks but you can find a reason to ban everything if you look hard enough. If someone wants to stalk someone they will find a way even without devices like this.
    edited January 2022 fahlmanjamnapmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 57
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    I call BS on her comment that it took hours to figure out the AirTag was there.  My wife’s keys have an AirTag on them & any time I take her car to the dealership, I start getting immediate notifications about an AirTag that doesn’t belong to me being in my vicinity & that the owner can see my location. 
    jamnap
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Here we go again…
    jamnap
  • Reply 27 of 57
    j2fusionj2fusion Posts: 153member
    M68000 said:
    The same could be said about human driven automobiles. How many people die in traffic accidents each year?  Many of those are because someone chooses to be irresponsible and drives while intoxicated. We don’t ban cars because some people misuse them. Any technology advancement has its downside. It’s up to society to weigh the cost/benefits. 
    edited January 2022 fahlmangregoriusmmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    opinion said:
    I just can’t see why Apple came up with this product. Dumb people who keep forgetting where all their stuff is (and they probably have too much of it too) and stalkers and alikes are the Airtags best friends. If you were supposed to use it to track something that could be stolen that feature is lost too since it warns of it’s existence (and I understand that it does to prevent stalking but then again also prevents stolen things to be tracked - a bit of catch 22 moment). Apple could instead have focused on making great Airport hardware again (easy and  safe), or affordable monitors (for us who need an Apple monitor at home or at your office without scaring away the IT-department and give them right about the high prices of Apple products) or iPhones that can take portrait photos of people with light skin tones without making them looking orange and distorted (so that ”everybody looks their best” truly). I miss the days when ”one more thing” meant something great now it just means one more thing (and in the worst case a bad one). To have things just to keep track of your other things is just madness.
    Nonsense. I have left my keys and jackets behind countless times, never to be seen again. This product adds value for me as it allows me to recover. What are you struggling with?

The rest of your rant is head scratching blathering.
    fahlmangregoriusmwilliamlondondewmeigorskyMplsP
  • Reply 29 of 57
    opinion said:
    Nonsense. I have left my keys and jackets behind countless times, never to be seen again. This product adds value for me as it allows me to recover. What are you struggling with?

The rest of your rant is head scratching blathering.
    Agree. There are lots of people forget little things easily. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 30 of 57
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    ???  Something is strange here.  Do we have all pertinent info surrounding this incident?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    earthkid said:
    What she just let people putting stuff in her belongings and she doesn’t even know where I’ll be careful or look for it until she get home that’s probably her fault. That’s just being stupid and come out and say that I let people know how stupid you are? You’re just confirming the rest of the world that how stupid you are it’s embarrassing enough to let people put stuff in your belonging and you don’t even notice and even after it alert you you not bother to look for it until you get home.. Not to mention that now you even come and tell the rest of the people how stupid you are so you are double stupid. Laughing out loud 
    Yeah, when I get home I always check to make sure something wasn't surreptitiously slipped into a bag or pocket on either my wife or me or hidden on my vehicle someplace just as you almost certainly check your family's things. Their fault and yours if they don't and the same applies to your non-iPhone using friends and extended family. Everyone with any sense looks. Heck all my female friends know to dress like nuns when they leave the house, knowing it's their fault if someone were to feel entitled to take advantage of them because of their clothing. Same theory here, right? /s

All the whaddabout Tile or a GPS tracker comments are dumb. Apple Airtags are on an entirely different level as every one of the posters knows. The effective coverage is leagues better than anything that's yet come to market. One of the knocks against Tile has long been how useless they sometimes are, and the sparse coverage outside of highly populated areas. They may not be seen for days or ever but until Airtags Tile has been one of the few options even if a relatively poor one.  I know, I've used them and found them less than adequate. Air Tags??? They are the polar opposite, fast to find even in rural areas, and spot-on accurate. Every iPhone (or iPad?) is potentially a signal repeater. Not so with any competitor. How can a Tile be anywhere near the concern?

Geesh.... 

Argue that's it's a minor concern in your opinion, that's fine. I tend to think that too. But to play "blame the victim" is the height of disingenuous. Yes Apple created a product capable of significant harm. They didn't have to, but chasing mo'dolla's can drive companies to decide say "well it's not all that bad" and do it anyway. This is one of those times IMO, and I wouldn't have expected it to be Apple. 

We wouldn't be so tolerant if it were Google, even using the same safeguards (remember the Google Glass hand-wringing what-ifs?) or Microsoft. But when its Apple it's the victims fault, and ya know it been done for years anyway (on a far smaller scale) so what's the problem? That's meant to be a thoughtful and honest response? Wow.  

edited January 2022 ctt_zhmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Well, if god forbid she was actually harmed then this will be the end of AirTag. Apple probably should notify her like an Amber Alert as early as possible. Or Siri can call her. On the other hand, then AirTag lost the ability of theft prevention, etc. This is a dilemma. 
  • Reply 33 of 57
    earthkid said:
    What she just let people putting stuff in her belongings and she doesn’t even know where I’ll be careful or look for it until she get home that’s probably her fault. That’s just being stupid and come out and say that I let people know how stupid you are? You’re just confirming the rest of the world that how stupid you are it’s embarrassing enough to let people put stuff in your belonging and you don’t even notice and even after it alert you you not bother to look for it until you get home.. Not to mention that now you even come and tell the rest of the people how stupid you are so you are double stupid. Laughing out loud 
    The only stupid person is this commenter. Unreal. 
    williamlondonopinionigorsky
  • Reply 34 of 57
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    opinion said:
    Dumb people who keep forgetting where all their stuff is (and they probably have too much of it too)
    There are some moronic comments in this thread, but this one takes the cake. 
    Xedwilliamlondonmikeybabesmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 57
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Well, if god forbid she was actually harmed then this will be the end of AirTag.
    And Tile, and Chipolo and the countless gps trackers that are out in the wild?

If you want to police trackers then you have to police the entire industry, not just the one product that actually has some sort of warning system. 
  • Reply 36 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Before anyone gets too lathered up ... would anyone have even read this article if it did not start with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model"?

I'd bet that if it started with "Long time Walmart greeter" who was making the rounds of the local bingo parlors last Saturday instead of a swimsuit model out on a night of bar hopping there would probably be an entirely different tone to the comments.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    dewme said:
    Before anyone gets too lathered up ... would anyone have even read this article if it did not start with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model"?

I'd bet that if it started with "Long time Walmart greeter" who was making the rounds of the local bingo parlors last Saturday instead of a swimsuit model out on a night of bar hopping there would probably be an entirely different tone to the comments.
    True! I assumed lots of people thought they'd have pictures with the article and there'd be lots of sharing of other pics and that's why they call came to this thread.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    dewme said:
    Considering that this is probably the fist article from AI that started with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model," and you, for instance, have 3,995 posts as of this writing, it seems that readers here will clearly read articles that don't start with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model."

They didn't even use her photo at the top of the article, only a default AirTag image; but even if they had scoured her photoshoots for a topless pic which which they edited with AirTags for pasties over her nips the readership would've still existed.
    edited January 2022 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 57
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    lkrupp said:
    Radical feminism used to say all men are rapists. I’m starting to agree in part. These scumbag, perverted sexual predators who stake out the nightlife bars and social clubs seem to be everywhere. Disgusting, slithering slime balls like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby ply their trade with drugs and intimidation.

I’m wondering if the AirTag in this case can be traced back to who bought it.

And our society being what it is I’m waiting for the first class action lawsuit against Apple to be filed, claiming Apple is responsible for enabling the predators. You know it’s coming eventually.
    Did she turn it in to the police? Should be pretty straight forward for them to find out who planted it. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 40 of 57
    She was only alerted to the stalking when a notification appeared on her iPhone that said an unknown accessory was moving with her.”

Why the “only” in that sentence? That’s how the anti-stalking protection is supposed to work. This isn’t a failure somehow, this worked exactly as intended and did its job. 

williamlondon