Sports Illustrated swimsuit model says she was tracked for hours with AirTag

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    mr lizard said:
    “She was only alerted to the stalking when a notification appeared on her iPhone that said an unknown accessory was moving with her.”

Why the “only” in that sentence? That’s how the anti-stalking protection is supposed to work. This isn’t a failure somehow, this worked exactly as intended and did its job. 
    I think you're probably reading too much into Ai's comment. I agree that addition of only adds an accusation tone that Apple didn't do enough, even though that's the only reasonable option for Apple to notify a user, but I don't think that was the intent of AI.
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    bulk001 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Radical feminism used to say all men are rapists. I’m starting to agree in part. These scumbag, perverted sexual predators who stake out the nightlife bars and social clubs seem to be everywhere. Disgusting, slithering slime balls like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby ply their trade with drugs and intimidation.

I’m wondering if the AirTag in this case can be traced back to who bought it.

And our society being what it is I’m waiting for the first class action lawsuit against Apple to be filed, claiming Apple is responsible for enabling the predators. You know it’s coming eventually.
    Did she turn it in to the police? Should be pretty straight forward for them to find out who planted it. 
    If the police take it seriously and do their job, sure.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    mrstep said:
    It's time we had sensible AirTags control.  Background checks, waiting periods, mental health interviews, government registry, limited battery capacity, the works.  If it stops just one stalking...

Or maybe the problem is the person misusing it, but who can truly say?

Yah, we see what you did there, drawing parallels to gun control. I won't even ask the obvious questions, because it's already a non-starter.

Once again, Apple delivers a product "the right way". Somebody will always try to abuse it, that's a given, so proactive and preventative measures is always going to be needed.
    Xedwilliamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Don't use Airtags to stalk someone with an iPhone. Problem solved.
    And don’t break any laws. The problem of crime solved.
    williamlondonanome
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    As a victim of a psychopath in ways I will not describe to you it doesn’t matter what you say or do. These predators will find a way to get you. 

You have to protect yourself.

The same with choosing to wear a mask or not.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 57
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    mrstep said:
    It's time we had sensible AirTags control.  Background checks, waiting periods, mental health interviews, government registry, limited battery capacity, the works.  If it stops just one stalking...

Or maybe the problem is the person misusing it, but who can truly say?
    Just like guns?

If a product or technology is being rampantly misused (I’m not saying that Airtags are, mind you, just posing an argument,)  at what point does the harm outweigh the benefit and to what extent is a manufacturer obligated to modify or even discontinue the product?

Apple has done more than most (any?) other companies to prevent tracking but the problems still exist. 

Maybe Apple can implement backtracking in the Find My app that if you are notified an unknown AirTag it will lead you to the divide that is linked to the AirTag? 
    That would be problematic but I think they should mandate registration of the tags so people or the police could find the owner. Unfortunately it probably wouldn’t help much - simply finding an someones concealed AirTag is not enough to prove or even charge the person with a crime so it wouldn’t me worth the police’s effort in most cases.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Xed said:
    lkrupp said:
    Radical feminism used to say all men are rapists. I’m starting to agree in part. These scumbag, perverted sexual predators who stake out the nightlife bars and social clubs seem to be everywhere. Disgusting, slithering slime balls like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby ply their trade with drugs and intimidation.

And our society being what it is I’m waiting for the first class action lawsuit against Apple to be filed, claiming Apple is responsible for enabling the predators. You know it’s coming eventually.
    JFC, boomer! She didn't say anything about men at all, but you somehow not only jumped to that conclusion but that her comment is "all men are rapists."

I wonder if you'll ever be in favor in equality of the sexes (i.e.: feminism) or will you spend your life believing women should be seen and not heard?
    Na, this is par for the course of lkrupp. Virtually every post he makes is some form of “Apple is being unfairly persecuted again. Now the haters are going to use this to sue Apple”
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 48 of 57
    earthkid said:
    What she just let people putting stuff in her belongings and she doesn’t even know where I’ll be careful or look for it until she get home that’s probably her fault. That’s just being stupid and come out and say that I let people know how stupid you are? You’re just confirming the rest of the world that how stupid you are it’s embarrassing enough to let people put stuff in your belonging and you don’t even notice and even after it alert you you not bother to look for it until you get home.. Not to mention that now you even come and tell the rest of the people how stupid you are so you are double stupid. Laughing out loud 
    What an asinine comment! Do you have any idea how easy it is to slip something like an AirTag into the pocket of coat? You comment confirms more to the world than she did.
    vukasika said:
    I call BS on her comment that it took hours to figure out the AirTag was there.  My wife’s keys have an AirTag on them & any time I take her car to the dealership, I start getting immediate notifications about an AirTag that doesn’t belong to me being in my vicinity & that the owner can see my location. 
    And I call BS on your comment. You’re in a bar in New York with your coat on your chair. You don’t think twice about leaving it for a minute because you don’t have your wallet or anything of value in it. Someone drops an airtag. In the pocket - it may beep but you can’t hear it because you’re in a bar and it’s noisy. Even after you leave, you’re on the subway or on the street at it’s loud so you either can’t hear the beep or think it’s coming from somewhere else. The story said she actually did check her pockets and didn’t find it initially. How many times have you checked your pockets for something and missed it? It’s more of a stretch for me to understand why you can’t see how it could happen.
    opinion said:
    I just can’t see why Apple came up with this product.
    Well, Apple didn’t come up with it - Tile did. Apple just made their own version. I assume there are probably some other similar products available as well. Looking at the amount of sales your view would appear to differ from a large number of people.
    edited January 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 57
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Xed said:
    dewme said:
    Before anyone gets too lathered up ... would anyone have even read this article if it did not start with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model"?
    Considering that this is probably the fist article from AI that started with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model," and you, for instance, have 3,995 posts as of this writing, it seems that readers here will clearly read articles that don't start with "Sports Illustrated swimsuit model."

They didn't even use her photo at the top of the article, only a default AirTag image; but even if they had scoured her photoshoots for a topless pic which which they edited with AirTags for pasties over her nips the readership would've still existed.
    It’s just kind of funny that we’ve seen two AirTag related articles that had a certain degree of “superfluous details” that were totally unrelated to the technology added to grab the readers' attention. Remember the Dodge Charger 392 with Scat Pack? Now we have the swimsuit model on a bar crawl. 

Not like this is a bad thing. I’m pretty sure more people will recall and chat about articles that point out some of the downsides of AirTag when there were Dodge Chargers and swimsuit models involved rather than Toyota Corollas and Walmart greeters. If it gets more people thinking and talking about something that needs more attention, that’s a good thing. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Someone needs to educate this ignorant girl LMAO 😂 
  • Reply 51 of 57
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rumpels said:
    Someone needs to educate this ignorant girl LMAO 😂 
    About what?  She seems to understand everything just fine.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Ahh, the ignorance of people. So you can slip
    anything on someone who is drinking and partying all night. Thankfully her iPhone notified her about the AirTag. Too bad it can’t warn her about the roofie in her free drink someone bought her. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 53 of 57
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    How about making it necessary to register an AirTag before it is activated?  Once this is done then Apple can track down who the perp was that placed an AirTag in someone else's belongings.  Someone would have to create a burner phone and account but could still be tracked by location.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    doggone said:
    How about making it necessary to register an AirTag before it is activated?  Once this is done then Apple can track down who the perp was that placed an AirTag in someone else's belongings.  Someone would have to create a burner phone and account but could still be tracked by location.
    I'm pretty sure they do. I seem to recall you remove the tab, your phone identifies the tag, you then connect it to "Find My..." which requires an Apple ID, and off you go.

The tag can be traced back to the owner, but maybe they set up a fake Apple ID with false credentials. I expect there are still ways of tracking the ID involved. Provided you have a valid warrant, of course.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    lkrupp said:

Although the statistics would tend to agree with you, there is nothing in the news article that states the stalker was a man. Could have been a woman, either an infatuated lesbian or jealous of the attention, or just a plain ole psycho woman
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 56 of 57
    lkrupp said:

While I am with you on prosecuting the scum that's out there, why should Apple be sued when Tile has had a product out for years that does this - without the cool notifications?