The metaverse is 'off limits' on Apple's VR headset, claims report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2022
Apple's VR and AR headset isn't intended for long periods of usage, with the company reportedly diverting away from the so-called "metaverse" vision in favor of shorter experiences.

Mixed reality headsets have been touted as the next big thing in computing, handling everything from games and entertainment to work and education. However, while some tech companies are leaning towards enabling users to spend a long time in their headsets, Apple is allegedly going in the opposite direction.

According to sources of Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple has thought about the metaverse, but seeks to avoid it. "I've been told pretty directly that the idea of a completely virtual world where users can escape to - like they can in Meta Platforms/Facebook's vision of the future - is off limits from Apple," writes Gurman.

Rather than using the headset as an "all-day device," Apple instead intends for it to be used for smaller "bursts."

Current speculation has Apple preparing for the launch of its first headset by the end of 2022, but in very limited quantities. It is believed to have a curved visor with AirPods Max-style padding, as well as bands similar to the design of Apple Watch sport bands.

It is also thought to use lightweight materials, have an M1-level processing system onboard for high-end applications and development, and use a secondary processor to handle sesnsor tracking. Those sensors could include a LiDAR system to track the user's hands without a controller, though controllers could still be used for more precise control.

Price rumors for the device run between $1,000 and $3,000.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    If the rumors about this is true, Apple would be smart to reconsider about getting in the Metaverse. They will be left behind.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    starof80 said:
    If the rumors about this is true, Apple would be smart to reconsider about getting in the Metaverse. They will be left behind.
    Considering that "metaverse" is just a nebulous and wobbly term that Epic and Facebook cooked up to dodge criticisms and doesn't mean a single thing right now, it's not much of a concern today.
    9secondkox2dewmebyronlwilliamlondonbaconstangviclauyycrobabaleavingthebiggpatchythepiratebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 38
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    starof80 said:
    Sounds like you’ve used both facebook’s nonexistent metaverse products and Apple’s rumored mixed reality headset extensively, and at this point feel that you know enough to make an informed opinion on the subject. 

When you get a chance let us know if the iPhone 18 is worth buying.
    edited January 2022 crowleybyronlwilliamlondonbaconstangviclauyycleavingthebiggrandominternetpersonSpitbathjahbladefastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 38
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    starof80 said:
    Considering that "metaverse" is just a nebulous and wobbly term that Epic and Facebook cooked up to dodge criticisms and doesn't mean a single thing right now, it's not much of a concern today.
    I think 'metaverse' means the same thing as 'social network' -- it's a vehicle for selling ads and manipulating people, full stop. 

Just like Apple doesn't have a 'social network' but does (through Messages and FaceTime) have a network through which people have positive social interactions with friends and family, I suspect Apple will not participate in the 'metaverse' but will have AR/VR devices that provide entertainment and help people to be more productive. 
    williamlondonbaconstangviclauyycpatchythepiratemattinoz[Deleted User]starof80sconosciutoSpitbathjahblade
  • Reply 5 of 38
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    The part about Apple not participating in Zuckerberg's definition of the 'metaverse' rings 100% true. 

I'm still skeptical of the $3k price tag, though. It's not impossible, but it's been a very long time since Apple tried to enter a new product category with something priced that high. Adjusted for inflation, the original iPod would cost about $628 today; the original iPhone $670; the original iPad $637. 

You have to go back to 'old apple' to find higher priced new entrants. The original Newton MessagePad would cost about $1700 today; the original Macintosh about $6700. 

I can believe that the AR/VR thing might cost more than the iPod / iPhone / iPad, but I bet the starting price still comes in under $1000. 

The argument that a higher price is due to the product being aimed at 'developers' also seems inconsistent with past experience. Apple has sold limited volume machines aimed at 'developers', but we have recent experience with what that looks like: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developer_Transition_Kit

byronlBeatsiqatedo
  • Reply 6 of 38
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    What, exactly, is “a burst”?    If it means I can’t go onto the device and play an immersive game for an hour, then this thing is going to fail 

He is always so vague and cryptic.   A March or April special event?   No shit Sherlock 
    byronlwilliamlondonstarof80
  • Reply 7 of 38
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Good. 

The meta verse vision is extremely unhealthy. 

While the other tech companies nerd out on being nerdy, Apple nerds out on making human life better. thinking of the humans once again. 

This is why Apple is successful and why missteps are rare. It’s also why they are perpetually “cool” in site of campaigns to strip that title. 

Good move. 

williamlondonfocherbaconstangviclauyycrobabapatchythepiraterandominternetpersonstarof80sconosciutoSpitbath
  • Reply 8 of 38
    red oak said:
    What, exactly, is “a burst”?    If it means I can’t go onto the device and play an immersive game for an hour, then this thing is going to fail 

He is always so vague and cryptic.   A March or April special event?   No shit Sherlock 
    Well, it’s better than the ballmer version: “squirt”
    byronlpatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 38
    starof80 said:
    Left behind about what? The exact same thing others have tried and failed to do? 

The metaverse is PlayStation at home, but probably with goggles or projectors (for “business” of course). 

And we now what happened there. 

People have brains that associate so many things together that create atmosphere and identity. You don’t need to be surrounded by a fake visual representation to be grounded in that, though it can be fun and entertaining at times. 

Facebook doesn’t even know what the meta verse is yet. They just needed to get away from being called Facebook and try to look forward thinking. 

Bill gates used to talk up a bunch of dreamland tech crap and act like Microsoft was heading there. It never was and it remained far off dream crap. 

Oculus failed. Calling it something else and repurposing isn’t going to make it a better life enhancement. 

Facebook is already behind by putting resources in a foolish concept. As my dad used to say “you’re barking up the wrong tree.” 
    byronlwilliamlondonbaconstangviclauyycpatchythepirateFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 38
    And, why would Apple be so time conscious on VR when time on iPhones has run completely out of control?   Why then would it not try to move iPhone to "bursts" as well?

This feels a lot like the car.   Like Apple does not have a 100% dialed-in, all-in strategy.   Few people are going to spend $1-$3K for a "burst" of whatever the fuck 
    williamlondonstarof80
  • Reply 11 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    blastdoor said:
    starof80 said:
    I think 'metaverse' means the same thing as 'social network' -- it's a vehicle for selling ads and manipulating people, full stop. 

Just like Apple doesn't have a 'social network' but does (through Messages and FaceTime) have a network through which people have positive social interactions with friends and family, I suspect Apple will not participate in the 'metaverse' but will have AR/VR devices that provide entertainment and help people to be more productive. 
    WSJ tested the concept of living in an early metaverse here:

VR is too disorienting to do this all the time.

The metaverse type experiences that people are immersed in today are like Minecraft, Fortnite, GTA Online, World of Warcraft, Second Life. Someone tested Fortnite in VR, this is probably the most compelling use case for wearing headsets for such a long period of time and kids already spend this much time in them outside of VR:

There's a video here showing some gaming and social stuff in Meta's experiences, most of this looks pretty horrifying, especially with the kid screaming at 2:15:

It's clear to see from these videos why it would have to be short experiences at a time using a VR headset, most people can't wear them that long because you're only looking at the display's artificial light source. A mixed reality experience would be much more comfortable for long periods.

Watching a movie would be an example of a short-term experience too. I could see people buying a product for an enhanced movie experience but not at over $1k.

This whole product description sounds off with the Airpods Max padding, Watch-style bands (this wouldn't be a fashion wearable), $1k-3k price. It's like one of those car mockups with the iPhone antenna bands, trying to piece together parts of Apple's other products into a new one. Especially when Apple has said a number of times that they don't see much value in VR. If they have front cameras, they can do passthrough so you'd see the real environment like on an iPad AR app and it offers the ability to have the processing on the device but if they were doing this, I'd expect the form factor to be closer to ski goggles than current VR hardware, a bit more compact than the mockup:

I expect Apple to make an AR wearable that allows VR-like experiences and nothing else and the tech is here to do this in 2022. They've been working on these products for over 6 years already. It says here it took just 2004-2007 to do the iPhone from concept to launch:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15782200/one-device-secret-history-iphone-brian-merchant-book-excerpt

They have thousands of world-class engineers working round the clock. There's no way they are just going to come up with an overpriced derivative nerd helmet. I think the only thing they make will be something Tim Cook would be happy wearing to work all day at a mass market price point. It's something they can sell as an accessory with the iPhone 14 and require an iPhone 12/13/14. That way it's a $20/month premium with a new handset instead of a $499 purchase.
    dewmebyronlfocherbaconstangpatchythepiraterandominternetpersonstarof80beowulfschmidtFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Think about the failure of 3D movies at home and how your eyes work. When our eyes focus at a distance the muscles refocus the lens.  Virtual 3D environments, especially like a headset, force the eye to unnaturally focus “distant” scenes on a screen at a fixed short distance from your eye, causing eye strain during extended use. The closer the screen, the greater the strain.
    dewmefocherbaconstangrandominternetpersonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 38
    starof80 said:
    Have you spent time with the Oculus Quest 2?   I recommend you do if not 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 38
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    starof80 said:
    the metaverse is an abstract term. some people believe it’ll be where humans live in a few decades, some people believe it’s a combination of AR/VR, Web3 and crypto. you’re speaking as if there’s a social media platform called metaverse.
    williamlondonbaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Very interesting! I was always puzzled by this headset because apple always snobbed VR. meta’s “metaverse” got so much hate i doubted apple was opting for something similar. my mind crossed the idea of a developer headset for AR, to get apps ready for apple’s lightweight AR glasses. but this proves that apple does have a vision for VR, but it’ll be different from everyone else. they may have just found what is truly the future of VR, for the masses.
    that’s what apple excels at. the human factor of the equation. 
    this event will be the best apple event in years, and probably, one of the best of all time.

williamlondonstarof80
  • Reply 16 of 38
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The headset does not yet exist. Indeed it hasn’t been clearly defined beyond rumours and wishes.
    The Metaverse does not yet exist. Indeed it hasn’t even been clearly defined beyond generalities and marketing hand waving. 

The idea that two things that are not defined and don’t yet exist might not work together doesn’t really worry me. 
    williamlondonfocherbyronlbaconstangstarof80beowulfschmidtFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 38
    starof80 said:
    Rush to be the first negative post, and only 5 in total - betting against Apple is a troll's remit, especially here in these forums. Go to MacRumors.
    byronlbaconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 38
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    starof80 said:
    Behind what? The Facebook / Epic concept of a virtual world to live in is so damn dystopian. Anyone who looks forward to that world is in need of psychiatric help because they can't seem to live effectively in the real world.

I actually hope Apple keeps any AR/VR headset as a 100% closed system without any third party access. That way we won't have to hear about any of this crap that every computing product sold needs to be 100% open to other vendors selling their wares on it.
    edited January 2022 baconstangpatchythepirateFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 19 of 38
    focher said:
    starof80 said:
    Behind what? The Facebook / Epic concept of a virtual world to live in is so damn dystopian. Anyone who looks forward to that world is in need of psychiatric help because they can't seem to live effectively in the real world.

I actually hope Apple keeps any AR/VR headset as a 100% closed system without any third party access. That way we won't have to hear about any of this crap that every computing product sold needs to be 100% open to other vendors selling their wares on it.
    i really hope they allow decentralized games on it, such as decentraland 
    patchythepiratestarof80
  • Reply 20 of 38
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    So... no Matrix-style virtual workstations???

:sad:

thtbaconstangbyronl