The metaverse is 'off limits' on Apple's VR headset, claims report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    VR headset?  Naw.  Too hard on the eyes and uncomfortable.

I'll wait for the brain stimulating electrode skullcap.
    mattinozdewme
  • Reply 22 of 38
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Against my advice, my wife and her ex went in together to my our 20 yo daughter an Oculus.  It was great for about a week and now she doesn’t tough it.  A clear example of a solution to a question nobody asked.  Apple used technology to find solutions to existing problems, not just for the nergasm over said tech.  I will be interested to see what they decide a good usecase might be.
    baconstangpatchythepiratebyronldewme
  • Reply 23 of 38
    starof80 said:
    If the rumors about this is true, Apple would be smart to reconsider about getting in the Metaverse. They will be left behind.
    Yeah. That's what's going to happen: the world's most visionary company is going to be "left behind" by the superior wisdom of the guy who built a company out of his teenage-incel fantasy.
    williamlondonpatchythepiratebaconstangrandominternetpersonsconosciutofastasleepFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    What will be the doom scrolling of the metaverse. I guess some mixed of news feed and one of those endless running games you can't win anyway?

Agree Metaverse will be off-limits on mine if I buy one, I deal with +3D all day get paid nicely for it. A few hours a day in space instead of visually translating space from a flat-screen would be something I could see being a good boost to that productivity but so far the devices I've had the chance to play with giving my 40mins max which isn't so bad as there is already real-world demands to attend to. 

A 3-4 hour stint should be the aim of the comfort level for when deadlines loom.

Hoping pads are somewhat interchangeable so a device might be shared at least refreshed once they get to warm.
    edited January 2022 byronl
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Is this what he means by bursts? (that’s a blow up sex doll in the pic). 

All jokes aside, I love that Apple seems to be taking this stance. As others have said here, technology should enhance our human experience, not subsume it.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    red oak said:
    starof80 said:
    If the rumors about this is true, Apple would be smart to reconsider about getting in the Metaverse. They will be left behind.
    Considering that "metaverse" is just a nebulous and wobbly term that Epic and Facebook cooked up to dodge criticisms and doesn't mean a single thing right now, it's not much of a concern today.
    Have you spent time with the Oculus Quest 2?   I recommend you do if not 
    Yes, I've spent time with it, and I own the Valve Index.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 38
    What the purpose of VR headsets if it is not for used for a long period of time?  When you do gaming, do you quit after 10 minutes or do you speed 4-5 hours playing your game? 
    edited January 2022 starof80darkvader
  • Reply 28 of 38
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    red oak said:
    And, why would Apple be so time conscious on VR when time on iPhones has run completely out of control?   Why then would it not try to move iPhone to "bursts" as well?

This feels a lot like the car.   Like Apple does not have a 100% dialed-in, all-in strategy.   Few people are going to spend $1-$3K for a "burst" of whatever the fuck 
    In South Florida, people will gladly pay “$1-3K for a ‘burst’ of whatever the f#¥k.”

They do it all the time, just want to correct the narrative.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,255member
    badmonk said:
    red oak said:
    And, why would Apple be so time conscious on VR when time on iPhones has run completely out of control?   Why then would it not try to move iPhone to "bursts" as well?

This feels a lot like the car.   Like Apple does not have a 100% dialed-in, all-in strategy.   Few people are going to spend $1-$3K for a "burst" of whatever the fuck 
    In South Florida, people will gladly pay “$1-3K for a ‘burst’ of whatever the f#¥k.”

They do it all the time, just want to correct the narrative.
    Virtual Meth parties. 
  • Reply 30 of 38
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    What the purpose of VR headsets if it is not for used for a long period of time?  When you do gaming, do you quit after 10 minutes or do you speed 4-5 hours playing your game? 

Exactly.  I'm not sure what they're thinking here, but it sounds pretty stupid.

I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt at this point, it's possible this source is just wrong.

williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 38
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I looked into VR pretty strongly recently.  Aside from Half-Life: Alyx, I didn’t see much of anything that captured my attention.  It didn’t really look like companies were taking it that seriously.  I wasn’t convinced that there was a practice use case that even applied to me with VR.  I surely wasn’t going to infest in it for one game.

AR has some pretty clear use cases, but I’m less certain how a large head visor fits into most of those.  I suppose you could have live diagrams or even instructions while you were assembling/disassembling things such as a car engine or large device.  I’m not sure how many people would wear headsets for AR maps and such, while doing something like driving.  I suspect that people would get pulled over, especially if the visors were opaque and police worried that they couldn’t see well, or were playing games while driving.  If I were using Apple Maps, I wouldn’t doing it using a large visor (although I would love it on an Apple Glass-type solution).
  • Reply 32 of 38
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Would a virtual monitor (or multiple virtual monitor) setup be considered AR or VR? The answer doesn't matter to me, as long as Apple gets on with bringing this to market. While I have a multiple monitor setup at my physical desk, the portability of a virtual setup would be highly useful.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I don't care how long you vegitate in your parent’s basement but DO NOT wear this shit in a public venue, bar, restaurant, night club, movie theater. You will be bullied, attacked, and banned just like the glassholes were. It’s hilarious to see some idiot wearing a VR helmet swinging their fists violently in thin air as they play some stupid game.
    williamlondonmattinoz
  • Reply 34 of 38
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    cpsro said:
    Would a virtual monitor (or multiple virtual monitor) setup be considered AR or VR? The answer doesn't matter to me, as long as Apple gets on with bringing this to market. While I have a multiple monitor setup at my physical desk, the portability of a virtual setup would be highly useful.
    Who cares what it's called seems like the sweet spot of a set-up to me. Desktop replacement-replacement. If it has enough grunt to be fairly standalone but optionally tetherable to a powerhouse MacPro for heavy lifting or collaboration or a smaller MacBook or Handoff to iPad pro for bashing out an email a quick mark up sketch. The Prime Mover of Macs as trucks to stretch the analogy. 
  • Reply 35 of 38
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    roake said:
    I looked into VR pretty strongly recently.  Aside from Half-Life: Alyx, I didn’t see much of anything that captured my attention.  It didn’t really look like companies were taking it that seriously.  I wasn’t convinced that there was a practice use case that even applied to me with VR.  I surely wasn’t going to infest in it for one game.
    You looked into it “pretty strongly” and somehow concluded there’s only one game worth playing? Yeesh. 
  • Reply 36 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    I don't care how long you vegitate in your parent’s basement but DO NOT wear this shit in a public venue, bar, restaurant, night club, movie theater. You will be bullied, attacked, and banned just like the glassholes were. It’s hilarious to see some idiot wearing a VR helmet swinging their fists violently in thin air as they play some stupid game.
    Nobody is doing that. 
  • Reply 37 of 38
    robaba said:
    Against my advice, my wife and her ex went in together to my our 20 yo daughter an Oculus.  It was great for about a week and now she doesn’t tough it.  A clear example of a solution to a question nobody asked.  Apple used technology to find solutions to existing problems, not just for the nergasm over said tech.  I will be interested to see what they decide a good usecase might be.
    There are millions of active and enthusiastic VR users out there. Also, a ton of content developers working in XR and stereo/360 video who sure would like to see VR support return to the Mac. I know I would. 
    mattinoz
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Think about the failure of 3D movies at home and how your eyes work. When our eyes focus at a distance the muscles refocus the lens.  Virtual 3D environments, especially like a headset, force the eye to unnaturally focus “distant” scenes on a screen at a fixed short distance from your eye, causing eye strain during extended use. The closer the screen, the greater the strain.
    Yeah, that’s not at all how it works. You haven’t used a VR headset before, have you.