You can't hail an Uber from your Apple Watch anymore

Posted:
in Apple Watch
You are no longer able to hail an Uber from your Apple Watch, because the ride-sharing service has killed support for the wearable.

Users of Uber checking on the watchOS version of the app are discovering they cannot use it at all. A brief on-screen message advises it is not available anymore, and to instead use their iPhone to call a ride.

The poorly written message that appears on the Apple Watch states "Please switch to the Uber mobile app. We no longer supporting the Apple Watch app. Sorry for the inconvenience," and ends with a crying emoji.

Typically, a developer discontinuing support for an app would prevent it from being installed by new users. Unusually, Uber is still permitting installations of the Apple Watch app, even if all it does is display the message.

Uber hasn't officially announced an end of support for the Apple Watch app, with its online support still acknowledging the existence of the app. All other versions of Uber, including its iOS app, continue to function normally.

Uber on Apple Watch provided the ability to hail a ride, as well as to receive notifications for when a driver is arriving at the user's location.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Well, Lyft it is. 
    williamlondonmacxpressscstrrfBeatskingofsomewherehotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I tend to like using Lyft better anyways...this just solidifies it. 
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    We no longer supporting the Apple Watch app.
    All your base are belong to us
    mark fearingscstrrfpichaelBeatsIreneWlkruppcincyteeStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Kind of weird from a developer POV. Unless something changed and the Watch is now more difficult to synch or a security issue....or no one was using it.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Idiotic to make it harder to use a service 
    williamlondonscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Maybe they just weren't getting enough users, or maybe Apple has plans to integrate it the same way they did with Maps
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Maybe they just weren't getting enough users, or maybe Apple has plans to integrate it the same way they did with Maps
    Or maybe they're just getting greedy, given they raised their prices exponentially after Covid struck, and they don't want to invest any longer, just milk that cow.

Seems strange, won't be surprised when they reverse and support it again in the future. Stupid move, really.
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    It seems companies are gradually dropping support for watch apps. I'm guessing barely anyone uses them, probably a combination of them being glacially slow, unreliable and still requiring a tether to an iPhone to be remotely functional. I'm not sure Apple ever really wanted third party Watch apps either.
    MplsP
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Of course many runners eschew the iPhone while they're running but have the cell vision of the Apple Watch.

Does Lyft still have an Apple Watch app?

edited January 2022 williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Uber is easily the worst service I've ever dealt with. The chances of my using their app on any of my devices is absolute………zero!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Lyft treats their drivers better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Because wearables are a diminishing market? Dumb strategy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Gosh, Uber, at least provide a reason.
    bala1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I don't understand how they haven't gone bankrupt yet.
    williamlondon