Apple TV+ 'The Morning Show' renewed for a third season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon-fronted "The Morning Show" will return for a third season on Apple TV+, with Apple also signing a multi-year deal with a new showrunner.

Apple TV+ 'The Morning Show'

"The Morning Show tells of the behind-the-scenes trials and tribulations of the stars and production team behind a fictional TV show. After two successful seasons, Apple has signed a deal to renew the show for a third season.

The new season will have a different showrunner than the first two, with Charlotte Stoudt taking over duties from Kerry Ehrin, Apple revealed on Monday. Stoudt, formerly of "Homeland" and "House of Cards," will be taking the role as part of a multi-year deal with Apple TV+.

Ehrin will continue to be a consultant for the show, and will also be developing new series for Apple TV+ as part of a broader deal.

"It has been thrilling to watch The Morning Show' go from strength to strength over the past two seasons, exploring topical storylines that have resonated with audiences around the world while also being incredibly addictive and entertaining," said Matt Cherniss, head of programming for Apple TV+.

Cherniss continued, "We're excited to see where Charlotte takes these extraordinary characters in season three and to watch the magic that Jennifer, Reese, and our awe-inspiring cast continue to bring to the captivating world of morning television."

Show stars Aniston and Witherspoon will executive produce alongside Stoudt, Michael Ellenberg via Media Res, Kristin Hahn, and Lauren Neustadter. Mimi Leder will direct the show and also serve as an executive producer.

Both of the first two seasons of "The Morning Show" are available to watch on Apple TV+ for current subscribers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Yay more Valeria Golino. Big fan of hers, and the show. Great cast!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    If you like non-stop, way over the top, over-acted anger, with dialogue consisting of every sentence containing F•••, F•••, F•••, you'll love The Morning Show. I hope the new showrunner can get a handle on these drama kings and queens (actors, writers, directors, and producers), then this could actually turn out to be an award-winning show. And yes, I've watched every episode, more to laugh at it than admire it, but I can see redemption if others feel the same. Who am I kidding, America loves this crap!
    williamlondonsflagel
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I agree with Thinkman’s comment.  We in the UK enjoy this stuff, too.  My only other comment would be that Series 2 was much more ‘soapy’ than Series 1 which I thought was a shame.  Series 1 was measured and serious, whereas Series 2 was shouty and over the top. 
    sflagel
  • Reply 4 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    If you like non-stop, way over the top, over-acted anger, with dialogue consisting of every sentence containing F•••, F•••, F•••, you'll love The Morning Show. I hope the new showrunner can get a handle on these drama kings and queens (actors, writers, directors, and producers), then this could actually turn out to be an award-winning show. And yes, I've watched every episode, more to laugh at it than admire it, but I can see redemption if others feel the same. Who am I kidding, America loves this crap!

You've never worked in US TV news have you?
    cincytee
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I think the second season went a bit off the rails with Jennifer Anniston's absolutely clueless rant in the finale. 
    The season started off well, especially how they handled Steve Carrell's character - he was a scumbag, but at least he began to realise that.
    Reese Witherspoon's character really had no growth. Billy Crudup surprisingly became the most likable character, but seemed to suddenly change from ruthless businessman to someone with a heart.

All in all, I wouldn't miss the show if there was no new season. However, I will give it a watch, now that it is announced.

sflagelStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 13
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    Constant shouting, forced drama, soapy and Aniston completely tedious. I hope this gets turned around. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I think you live in a bubble shut off from real life. "f***" is just a word and a good one that clearly communicates the verbal moment and underlying emotion. Why are so many people so afraid of it? F•••, F•••, F•••'em all if they are somehow offended. Turn the dial.

welshdogSpitbathwilliamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 13
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    tommikele said:
    I think you live in a bubble shut off from real life. "f***" is just a word and a good one that clearly communicates the verbal moment and underlying emotion. Why are so many people so afraid of it? F•••, F•••, F•••'em all if they are somehow offended. Turn the dial.

The word is barely used in a professional environment. Or even in normal conversation. It’s just forced in this show. And I live in England! 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 13
    welshdog said:

Or any other kind of newsroom, for that matter.
    welshdogSpitbath
  • Reply 10 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    cincytee said:
    welshdog said:

Or any other kind of newsroom, for that matter.

Thinking back on my days in the newsroom and production studios I am reminded of that line from A Christmas Story: "...my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

The Morning Show doesn't even make a minuscule scratch to the surface of the things I heard on headset and face to face working in news.
    SpitbathStrangeDayscincytee
  • Reply 11 of 13
    sflagel said:

The word is barely used in a professional environment. Or even in normal conversation. It’s just forced in this show. And I live in England! 
    The show takes place mainly in New York City... where the F-word is used as often as possible in every possible environment and situation. I haven't lived there for 10 years and I still haven't been able to get rid of my potty mouth!
    williamlondonwelshdogStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sflagel said:
    tommikele said:
    Yeah no, it’s used all the fucking time. And in England? Yes, as well as much more - England has its own popular curse word, c***, used 100x more than in America.

But I find it fucking hilarious that originally people complained Apple would make its shows too G-rated, and now someone is complaining that they curse too much! Can’t please everybody. 
    edited January 2022 welshdogwilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sflagel said:
    tommikele said:
    As @welshdog says, you clearly haven't worked in news or interacted much with journalists. (Or, in my experience, anyone without a camera in his or her face.)