Apple's new 27-inch iMac with Apple Silicon - what to expect, and when it might be announc...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2022
Apple is rumored to release a new iMac with a 27-inch display relatively soon, and it may resurrect the iMac Pro name to do it. Here's what it may look like, and what to expect.

A new iMac Pro may be released in 2022
A new iMac Pro may be released in 2022

Apple could choose one of two directions with a new iMac -- revive the iMac Pro with high-end chipsets or place consumer-grade silicon in a colorful and larger chassis than what it is offering Apple Silicon in now. Either way, an announcement is expected to take place sometime in 2022.

Since the launch of the M1 processor, a lot has changed for the Mac lineup. The 24-inch iMac was introduced with a thin and light new design, and the 2021 MacBook Pros were released with a new set of powerful processors.

If Apple intends to launch the 27-inch iMac in March, it could revive the iMac Pro with an M1 Pro or M1 Max processor. This desktop may look like the 24-inch iMac but have only space gray and silver color options with black bezels around the display.

The display technology used in the "pro" model is expected to include 120Hz ProMotion and a mini LED backlight. These features paired with the M1 Pro and M1 Max would make the new iMac comparable to the renewed MacBook Pro lineup.

A 27-inch 120Hz ProMotion display
A 27-inch 120Hz ProMotion display

Accurate sources like @dylandkt and Ross Young have repeatedly stated that the new iMac will be referred to as an iMac Pro with the technology to back it up. One report has contradicted this, suggesting that mini LED won't make it to the larger model, and would be available in multiple colors -- indicating a consumer-grade model.

It seems unlikely that Apple would release the updated iMac as a consumer-focused product. Very few rumors support this, but Apple may be waiting for the M2 processor for a new iMac if it is true.

Expect up to four Thunderbolt 4 ports and possibly others like an SD card slot
Expect up to four Thunderbolt 4 ports and possibly others like an SD card slot

Some early rumors suggested that Apple could increase the display size of the 27-inch iMac to 30 or 32 inches. However, this rumor hasn't been repeated since, and it seems the rumor mill agrees on the 27-inch display size.

One unlikely rumor suggests that Face ID may be used in the updated iMac. While this matches Apple's decision process for pro features in iPads, it has yet to do so in Macs. The 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro still have Touch ID despite having notches in the display.

The new iMac Pro would have color-matched accessories
The new iMac Pro is likely to have color-matched accessories

Otherwise, Apple seems to have everything in place for an iMac Pro relaunch in March or April of 2022. Expect this pro-grade machine to have a display that rivals the Pro Display XDR and high-end processors to match.

Display supply chain analyst Ross Young provided a conflicting report at the end of January suggesting that the new iMac Pro would be delayed until the summer of 2022. He also stated that the mini LED backlight would have fewer dimming zones than the panels used in the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro.

Whatever shape it takes, the new iMac will likely be Apple's most powerful desktop computer running Apple Silicon. At least until the new Mac Pro is announced.

Read on AppleInsider
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    For twenty years, Apple has introduced iMac in two display sizes, each major redesign has seen both screen sizes increased. I will be surprised and disappointed if the upcoming bigger iMac isn’t enlarged from 27-inches. 
    williamlondonlkrupppaxmandanoxbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 62
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    Wishlist:
    -No chin
    -No external power brick
    -Height adjustable stand
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 62
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    I’d be fine with a new iMac Pro at the same 27” like I currently have (2017 first release). But what I want is for Apple to release a simple Mac Mini Pro/Max. Just give me the 2021 MacBook Pro without a screen, but all the guts & glory from inside. That’s it. I should only cost 2/3 of the same spec’ed MacBook, so for a 64GB RAM w/ 4TB SSD it should cost ($4900 * 0.67) $3300. That would be an insane deal. Even at $4000, it would be a solid done deal.

please Apple - make my year.
    williamlondontenthousandthingslkruppmichelb76dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 62

"Apple is rumored to release...relatively soon...an announcement is expected to take place sometime in 2022."

You make me laugh.

lkruppurahararobin huberapplguymichelb76applecoreddewmeStrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Nice job with this article — a well-balanced assessment of what’s been happening in the “rumor mill.” The only thing not mentioned is the supposed leak of codenames for a third stage of M1 silicon, which doesn’t really add anything because so little is known about what those entail. 

I’m still hoping for a 32-inch (in addition to the 27-inch) iMac Pro with dual-die options. 
    lkruppdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 62
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    opinion said:
    Wishlist:
    -No chin
    -No external power brick
    -Height adjustable stand
    I don't get, and have never got, this obsession with "no chin", "no bezels", and all that nonsense. As for the external power brick, I think that ship has sailed. I'm guessing hey want to use the new MagSafe adapter for it, and that isn't just a dumb power plug. Plus, if they moved the power supply back to being internal, then they'd probably have to give it a bigger chin, so there goes your first wish.

Height adjustable stand they might do, or they might just sell a plate so you can install it on a monitor arm.
    tenthousandthingswilliamlondonpatchythepiratelibertyandfreeflydogdanoxmjtomlinapplguymichelb76argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 62
    27-inch Colorful Consumer iMac with off-while bezel, notch, mini LED backlight (no promotion) with Pro/Max (initial release)
    32-inch iMac Pro in space gray/silver with black bezel, notch, mini LED backlight and promotion with Pro/Max plus Max Duo (Late year release)

I'm just guessing like you...
    h4y3sargonautTRAGHKSAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 62
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member
    Look at how imbalanced the 24” is with the menu on the screen almost dropping out of the upper edge compared to the bottom with the chin. I did not bother about the chin on previous models.

External power brick, I think Apple should have pushed themselves harder. To say that they made the new iMac so very thin but just because they put parts elsewhere is not convincing.

Oh, not just a plate - the separate stand will cost a fortune. And by the way, no notch either. I wonder where consumer demand for notches came from…
    edited January 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Face ID is in iOS. MacOS needs to import it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 62
    AniMill said:
    I’d be fine with a new iMac Pro at the same 27” like I currently have (2017 first release). But what I want is for Apple to release a simple Mac Mini Pro/Max. Just give me the 2021 MacBook Pro without a screen, but all the guts & glory from inside. That’s it. I should only cost 2/3 of the same spec’ed MacBook, so for a 64GB RAM w/ 4TB SSD it should cost ($4900 * 0.67) $3300. That would be an insane deal. Even at $4000, it would be a solid done deal.

I feel you, but if they were going to do that, it would have already happened. I imagine the numbers don’t support it, in terms of both profit and customers — they won’t sell enough of them to justify the costs, nor will there be enough new customers just for it. Most people will opt to use a MBP closed on their desktop, or they’ll buy this new iMac XDR. There isn’t room for a high-end Mini. I hope I’m wrong.
    edited January 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    macbootx said:
    For twenty years, Apple has introduced iMac in two display sizes, each major redesign has seen both screen sizes increased. I will be surprised and disappointed if the upcoming bigger iMac isn’t enlarged from 27-inches. 
    I kinda agree. I wouldn't be surprised if a colourful 27" is introduced - I imagine there is a pretty good market for that, and a pro version, maybe with a larger screen and the accompanying chipset and price.
    macbootxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 62
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Rather than the SD slot on the side, I hope the SD slot will be centered at the bottom than in the back. That way it's a lot more intuitive and easier to locate and insert. And visually looks more coherent too.
    edited January 2022 lkruppbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Wish Apple would offer a pro version of the 24”. The best M1 spec still does not match the graphics of the previous high end 21” model.
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Wouldn’t mind seeing this come March/April:

Mac Mini - M2
    MacBook Air - M2
    21” iMac - M2
    27” iMac - M2

27” iMac Pro - M1 Pro / M1 Max - 5k
    30” (32”?) iMac Pro - M1 Pro / M1 Max - 6k

My 2015 27” iMac is getting showing its age and my wallet is ready for the right moment 
    danoxargonautbaconstangVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 62
     I can’t see the 27” iMac being limited to the same processor power as the MacBook Pro’s.  The thermal budget for this chassis is so much larger. I suspect low end iMac would have an M1Max and high end containing a dual M1Max.  
    danoxbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 62
    I hope it’ll come in colors - different ones are fine, but I’m bored with same silver/grey tones. The new iMacs are wonderful to look at.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    My late 2013 27” iMac 14,2, stuck on Catalina, is begging to be replaced. Already have the go-ahead from the CEO of the household, my wife. 
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    anome said:
    opinion said:
    Wishlist:
    -No chin
    -No external power brick
    -Height adjustable stand
    I don't get, and have never got, this obsession with "no chin", "no bezels", and all that nonsense. As for the external power brick, I think that ship has sailed. I'm guessing hey want to use the new MagSafe adapter for it, and that isn't just a dumb power plug. Plus, if they moved the power supply back to being internal, then they'd probably have to give it a bigger chin, so there goes your first wish.

Height adjustable stand they might do, or they might just sell a plate so you can install it on a monitor arm.
    I agree.  Removing the chin would make the iconic iMac look like the run-of-the-mill PC monitors.  No thank you.  These chin-haters really need to get over it.

The power supply I could go either way.  Making it internal would definitely increase the thickness of the monitor.  Keeping it in a separate power brick would remove a big source of heat from the unit itself, and in the event of a component failure, it's much easier to replace an external brick than have to crack the monitor open to service it.  If I could choose, I think I would go with an external brick.  Apple is really good in this area anyways.
    williamlondonargonautStrangeDaysanomebaconstangVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 62
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    AniMill said:

They can build one but I've always maintained that they never will.  Because it will attract precisely the type of customer that Apple likes least:  The tech tinkerer who will try out all sorts of (off-brand/unsupported) mods and upgrades, use a disproportionate amount of free tech support, and very publicly complain about poor customer service or defective product build/design when his tinkering goes awry.  Apple might tolerate this customer if he buys a lot of big ticket items from Apple, but this customer is also extremely frugal and doesn't buy high margin Apple branded peripherals.
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 62
    How many times can rumor sites rewrite the same story, with the same stale information?

thtbaconstangwatto_cobra