Apple's new 27-inch iMac with Apple Silicon - what to expect, and when it might be announc...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
     I can’t see the 27” iMac being limited to the same processor power as the MacBook Pro’s.  The thermal budget for this chassis is so much larger. I suspect low end iMac would have an M1Max and high end containing a dual M1Max.  
    Apple has to hit it out of the park, don’t hold back go where Microsoft and Intel can’t go…..
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 62
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Will definitely see larger iMac with M1 Pro/Max relatively soon.
    Along with Mac mini “pro”

WWDC… iMac Pro, Mac Pro   “Transition complete”

M2 in the Fall… released in the new colorful MacBook and new iPad Pro
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    I have no problem with colours, as long as they're tasteful. The abortion of the 24" with bright/pastel/white all in one was a horror show. Plus, they'd need to add at least one grown-up colour too, ideally black/dark grey.

As for the chin, what's it for? Its main job used to be to hold the big apple logo, but since they bizarrely dropped that on the 24", it's just there to annoy people now. If they need space, make it thicker. Who cares how thin it looks from an angle you never look at it from?

I was very excited about the initial 32" rumours, but honestly think that 27" is as big as necessary really. Just get rid of the chin and bezels, put it on a proper stand and make it as fast as hell. Thanks.

I did some quick mockups of a 'fix' to the horrible 24" when it came out. Maybe the tapered side profile is odd in retrospect, but I stand by the single anodised colour and swapping the chin for thickness, as well as putting a small logo back. Scaling this up and going with dark metal/black bezel would be fine for the 27" too.

opinion
  • Reply 24 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I have no problem with colours, as long as they're tasteful. The abortion of the 24" with bright/pastel/white all in one was a horror show. Plus, they'd need to add at least one grown-up colour too, ideally black/dark grey.

As for the chin, what's it for? Its main job used to be to hold the big apple logo, but since they bizarrely dropped that on the 24", it's just there to annoy people now. If they need space, make it thicker. Who cares how thin it looks from an angle you never look at it from?

I was very excited about the initial 32" rumours, but honestly think that 27" is as big as necessary really. Just get rid of the chin and bezels, put it on a proper stand and make it as fast as hell. Thanks.

I did some quick mockups of a 'fix' to the horrible 24" when it came out. Maybe the tapered side profile is odd in retrospect, but I stand by the single anodised colour and swapping the chin for thickness, as well as putting a small logo back. Scaling this up and going with dark metal/black bezel would be fine for the 27" too.

Where do the speakers go?
    StrangeDaysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 62

"Apple is rumored to release...relatively soon...an announcement is expected to take place sometime in 2022."

You make me laugh.

That made me laugh too! It got vaguer and vaguer! 
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 62
    crowley said:

At the bottom back, behind whatever's there currently. If it has to be thicker still, so be it.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Return of the Flavoradio!

Yeah, the new iMac 24” colors are disappointingly muted from the front and the product is lacking any front side brand identity, unless “bland” is considered a brand identity. The backside, which for a lot of users sits up against a wall, does look great. I suppose when you have special guests over you can allow them to peek around the back of your iMac to see how nice the hidden side looks. I like having color choices but wish they’d offered at least a space gray option. One downside of the colors is that it doesn’t appear that you can obtain the color matched accessories separately, so if your blue mouse goes kaput you’ll be back to silver. 

I am a fan of the power brick with built in Ethernet connection. One less wire to clutter the desk, especially with the iMac, which tends to become very cluttered very quickly if you deviate from the TV commercial configurations that I imagine very few people who do anything serious with an iMac are able to support. Having to bring everything to the back of the iMac makes for a nightmare of clutter behind the slab. One benefit of a bigger screen, like 32”, would be that it would allow you hide even more stuff behind the screen. Just don’t look behind the screen - ever.
    edited January 2022 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 62

I am actually partial to the current Apple design. I’m not saying your mock-up is wrong. I’m just pointing out that these things are pretty subjective and assuming your tastes are what everyone else would like shaky ground. 
    baconstang9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 62
    II’m just pointing out that these things are pretty subjective
    Well yes. Obviously.
    and assuming your tastes are what everyone else would like shaky ground
    I'd suggest you don't assume that.
    edited January 2022 9secondkox2
  • Reply 30 of 62
    crowley said:

At the bottom back, behind whatever's there currently. If it has to be thicker still, so be it.
    Sounds like a recipe for crappy speakers.
    StrangeDaysbaconstang9secondkox2
  • Reply 31 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tundraboy said:
    AniMill said:
    I’d be fine with a new iMac Pro at the same 27” like I currently have (2017 first release). But what I want is for Apple to release a simple Mac Mini Pro/Max. Just give me the 2021 MacBook Pro without a screen, but all the guts & glory from inside. That’s it. I should only cost 2/3 of the same spec’ed MacBook, so for a 64GB RAM w/ 4TB SSD it should cost ($4900 * 0.67) $3300. That would be an insane deal. Even at $4000, it would be a solid done deal.

please Apple - make my year.
    They can build one but I've always maintained that they never will.  Because it will attract precisely the type of customer that Apple likes least:  The tech tinkerer who will try out all sorts of (off-brand/unsupported) mods and upgrades, use a disproportionate amount of free tech support, and very publicly complain about poor customer service or defective product build/design when his tinkering goes awry.  Apple might tolerate this customer if he buys a lot of big ticket items from Apple, but this customer is also extremely frugal and doesn't buy high margin Apple branded peripherals.
    Agree 100%. Those types should just buy the parts off the shelf at Micro Center, assemble their own dream machine and be done with it. Expecting Apple to build it and, more importantly, price it for their nonsensical requirements simply isn’t going to happen. Dream all you want.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 62
    opinion said:
    Wishlist:
    -No chin
    -No external power brick
    -Height adjustable stand
    You prefer to have the power supply internal where the components would necessitate a thicker iMac not to mention the heat generated from the power supply inside your iMac?

There are so many advantages to having the power supply external and I, for one, like that the ethernet plugs into the brick instead of the back of the iMac.  One less cable cluttering my desktop.  If Apple could do the same with the MBP 14/16 brick through the Magsafe connector, that'd be cool!

Biggest advantage is the ease to replace the power brick should it fail.  If internal, you're screwed.
    edited January 2022 muthuk_vanalingamdewmebaconstang9secondkox2patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 62
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    opinion said:
    Wishlist:
    -No chin
    -No external power brick
    -Height adjustable stand
    Prepare for disappointment! 

As somebody who mounts my iMacs, love the external power supply. 
    dewmewilliamlondonbaconstangpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 62
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Why would it have any effect on what speakers they use?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 62

Lol don’t quit your day job -- if you want to make “mock-ups” take a look at the tear down and see why the chin exists…hint, it’s not there just to display a logo. You’re just messing around in photoshop with no regards for hardware function. 
    robababaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 62
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Yyyyeah you clearly haven’t looked at the hardware components in the chin even once. Short speaker primer for you - for speakers to sound good, they have to move air. To move air, they need to be a certain minimum size. Sticking in coin-sized speakers like those found on a cheap toy results in sound like that of a…cheap toy. 
    edited January 2022 dewmemuthuk_vanalingambaconstangpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 62
    II’m just pointing out that these things are pretty subjective
    Well yes. Obviously.
    and assuming your tastes are what everyone else would like shaky ground
    I'd suggest you don't assume that.
    Well, that was weirdly defensive. Anyway, I’m not assuming anything. You on the other hand did which was why I made the point. 

Good luck to ya, fussy-britches. 
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 62
    I think they're going to keep it really simple:

iMac 24" - 2021 model
    iMac Pro 30/32" - M1 Pro/Max with a whole host of IO

I think consumer models from now on will be USB-C/Thunderbolt, and Pro models will have separate IO in addition to it.
    baconstangmacbootxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 62

Lol don’t quit your day job -- if you want to make “mock-ups” take a look at the tear down and see why the chin exists…hint, it’s not there just to display a logo. You’re just messing around in photoshop with no regards for hardware function. 
    I'm not sure I get your point. The chin exists to house stuff, like speakers - and the logic board too, sure. But are you suggesting that those things *have* to exist in some place below the monitor in their own space? It's not possible for them to exist behind the monitor in the same amount of space? Why?

And yes, I'm absolutely just messing around in photoshop with no engineering expertise, yes. People seem to be taking that rather seriously :)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 62
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Backfiring, stacked with the display and other components?  Not optimal, even if the actual speaker array is the same.
    baconstang