Rumors claims next iPad Pro will have a glass Apple logo for MagSafe

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2022
Apple may be testing a new iPad Pro model with a glass Apple logo, reportedly as a way to bring MagSafe to the tablet lineup without ditching the aluminum backplate.

The rear of Apple's 2020 iPad Pro
The rear of Apple's 2020 iPad Pro

The company is rumored to be developing iPad Pro models with MagSafe, which would necessitate at least a portion of the tablet's rear to be glass. A metal rear casing would inhibit MagSafe charging.

However, Apple reportedly has concerns with the entire back being glass, which would make the device more fragile. As a workaround, 9to5Mac reported on Friday that the company is testing at least one prototype with a larger Apple logo on the rear made of glass.

It's through this supposed glass Apple logo that the rumored iPad Pro model with transmit power via MagSafe. The site also notes that the iPad would sport "stronger magnets" and faster wireless charging than the iPhone.

Apple has never had an iPad model with wireless charging support. Previous reports have suggested that Apple would bring MagSafe to its tablet lineup through a "glass sandwich" design.

A glass surface as large as an iPad's rear brings its own host of structural issues. There are also structural and engineering problems with a glass surface embedded into a material with different characteristics..

Apple is expected to debut new 11-inch iPad Pro and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models in 2022. The smaller of the two could feature a miniLED display, while both devices may sport a new chip based on a 3nm manufacturing process.

Read on AppleInsider
kspt02

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I called this for the iPhone years ago when people wondered how Apple could remove the lightning port.

I think it’s a great idea but a better idea would be engineering MagSafe without glass which I’m sure is already possible.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Tricky problem. Larger Apple logo may look a bit gaudy, and it'd look off for a charger to cover only part of the Apple logo. Glass would make it so much heavier, with the glass, and needing to beef up the framing to support it. Maybe ceramic? (But probably prohibitively expensive).

Looks like the choices are gaudy Apple logo vs significantly heavier iPad with significant redesign. Seems like the former is best to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The logo on the back is plastic now. I haven’t looked inside at the iFixIt tear downs in a while< so I don’t know it it’s backed by aluminum. But I do t see a problem with a plastic logo. I’m sure Apple could make it attractive if they wanted to.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    MagSafe from iPhone or MagSafe 3 skinny from MacBook Pro.

no doubt testing both.
    was kind of hoping iPad pros with rumours of landscape logos might get 2 usbc ports so there is one each side. MagSafe 3 on one side and something else the other would be interesting…

could they make battery and internals of MacBook Air and iPad Pro basically the same just different casing?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Why do we need glass? Isn't plastic also effective at allowing transmission since it's not metallic? 

There are plenty of good plastics that last a long time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Makes sense. Compatibility, scratch resistant, go…!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12

Aluminium being non-ferrous (a paramagnetic material) it may be ok with MagSafe, anyone have knowledge of this subject?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Growing up with a metals engineer, I’d think there is some iteration of a magnetic stainless steel to be investigated. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    The iPad Pro already has MagSafe. Just look at the Magic Keyboard. Magnetically latches, charges through the Smart Connector. They can make a mat like this and call it a day. Heck, if they want to be sporty, they can make one with batteries inside to give an iPad even more battery life. If they make the Smart Connector USB4/TB compatible (increase the number of contacts), even better.

This rumor is just super strange. They want an induction charger for an iPad. It still needs to be a big mat so that people align it. Don't see it as a huge benefit as people aren't picking up and putting down iPads all day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    tht said:
    The iPad Pro already has MagSafe. Just look at the Magic Keyboard. Magnetically latches, charges through the Smart Connector. They can make a mat like this and call it a day. Heck, if they want to be sporty, they can make one with batteries inside to give an iPad even more battery life. If they make the Smart Connector USB4/TB compatible (increase the number of contacts), even better.

This rumor is just super strange. They want an induction charger for an iPad. It still needs to be a big mat so that people align it. Don't see it as a huge benefit as people aren't picking up and putting down iPads all day.
    I agree. I’ve been using iPads since I bought the first one in May 2010. I’ve never felt the need for any kind of wireless charging. In fact, it think it’s a waste of power. With the big batteries, and wireless being around a 50% efficiency number, I certainly wouldn’t use it. Besides, I have several places around my house where I keep chargers. There’s room for cables, but not always for some largish plate where this would have to rest on. The only things I use wireless for, is for my watch, where I have two chargers, and my phone, only in the bedroom, for overnight charging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    melgross said:
    tht said:

I agree. I’ve been using iPads since I bought the first one in May 2010. I’ve never felt the need for any kind of wireless charging. In fact, it think it’s a waste of power. With the big batteries, and wireless being around a 50% efficiency number, I certainly wouldn’t use it. Besides, I have several places around my house where I keep chargers. There’s room for cables, but not always for some largish plate where this would have to rest on. The only things I use wireless for, is for my watch, where I have two chargers, and my phone, only in the bedroom, for overnight charging.
    The new MagSafe 3 on the MacbookPros uses the same edge profile as a USB-c it seems like it would fit rather nicely on the side of an iPad and be rather convenient as cases leave a gap for the USB anyway. Would free up USB-c while charging. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mattinoz said:
    melgross said:
    tht said:

The new MagSafe 3 on the MacbookPros uses the same edge profile as a USB-c it seems like it would fit rather nicely on the side of an iPad and be rather convenient as cases leave a gap for the USB anyway. Would free up USB-c while charging. 

I’m not talking about the kind I have on the 16” Macbook Pro. I’m talking about the lay it down on kind we’re also talking about here.
    watto_cobra