Developer hack puts CarPlay on Tesla using a Raspberry Pi

Posted:
in iOS
A developer has come up with a way to get CarPlay running on a Tesla, with a workaround allowing drivers access to their iPhones while behind the wheel.

The workaround uses the Tesla's browser to stream CarPlay from a Raspberry Pi
The workaround uses the Tesla's browser to stream CarPlay from a Raspberry Pi

While Apple's CarPlay is available for many car infotainment systems, it has never been officially allowed to run on a Tesla's in-car display. Though it is plausible to install an aftermarket head unit that has CarPlay support, Polish developer Michal Gapinski came up with his own way.

In images and video posted to Twitter on Friday, Gapinski shows his Tesla running CarPlay on the display of his vehicle. The clips, spotted by Tesla North show the feature as being quite functional, including Apple Maps and Apple Music.

However, rather than making any major changes to the hardware of the Tesla itself, Gapinski instead bypasses Wi-Fi restrictions so that the Tesla's browser can connect to a secondary device. In turn, the browser displays what is shown on the host device as a live video feed.

Steering wheel controls + current state of #teslaCarPlay on video. Next step is to improve Wi-Fi connection, the stream is 2x smoother when viewed on my laptop pic.twitter.com/0wFFUQQPkx

-- Micha Gapiski (@mikegapinski)

The developer explained that the project actually relies on a Raspberry Pi running a custom build of Android. That build runs an interface that works with CarPlay, enabling Apple's UI to be usable from the larger screen.

Gapinski says there are improvements to be made to the system, with the Wi-Fi connection requiring some refinement to make it smoother.

Currently in its early stages, the developer says he plans to release it to the public "when it's polished."

It seems unlikely that Tesla will adopt CarPlay in its vehicular software anytime soon, as it has a long-running feud with Apple, chiefly over the development of Apple Car. Each have repeatedly hired engineers from the other over the years.

The two CEOs are also seemingly open to attacking each other. Tesla CEO Elon Musk took jabs against Apple during one conference call, while Apple chief Tim Cook allegedly let loose an expletive over the suggestion of Musk becoming Apple's CEO in 2016.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Using Android to get CarPlay on a Tesla. Oh, the irony.
    the1maximusGeorgeBMacravnorodom
  • Reply 2 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,559member
    IreneW said:
    How exactly is that ironic?
    grandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Can Tesla run Android Auto?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Kinda, but it's a kludgy work around. Tesla doesn't support CarPlay or Android Auto.

https://www.androidcentral.com/you-can-now-use-android-auto-tesla-theres-catch
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Xed said:
    Kinda, but it's a kludgy work around. Tesla doesn't support CarPlay or Android Auto.

But this article cite dispute between Apple and Tesla. Why is Google involved also?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Xed said:
    IreneW said:
    How exactly is that ironic?
    Indeed - many cars native systems are android based - its an open OS with a developed UI.  So oddly enough CarPlay on many cars is technically presented by android (I say presented as the bulk of it is running on your phone - the car display is largely an IO accessory). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Xed said:

But this article cite dispute between Apple and Tesla. Why is Google involved also?
    I don’t think it’s so much a Google thing as Tesla wants a consistent Tesla experience on their screen save for the web browser.  I suspect they’d follow Apple and do their own map if they could.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I would hesitate to hack a Tesla's computer systems because that could open doors to other hackers to take control of the car.   Yeh, that's paranoid thinking.   But, just cause you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

In this case, they defeated WiFi security to open up the system to CarPlay.   So what else can now get in?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    It's a good question that the hackers are asking: Why not have CarPlay in any car? You can buy third party CarPlay receivers. Why shouldn't CarPlay simply be an app you can install on a Tesla or any other vehicle with a touch screen? AppleTV works that way on home entertainment systems. Apple could sell subscriptions for premium services or just make it part of their bundled services. CarPlay has not exactly been a huge success thus far. Apple should remove all the barriers to its use and then sweeten the deal with some excellent services and a full connection to the Apple ecosystem (notes, reminders, calendars, notifications, etc.)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    It's a good question that the hackers are asking: Why not have CarPlay in any car? You can buy third party CarPlay receivers. Why shouldn't CarPlay simply be an app you can install on a Tesla or any other vehicle with a touch screen? AppleTV works that way on home entertainment systems. Apple could sell subscriptions for premium services or just make it part of their bundled services. CarPlay has not exactly been a huge success thus far. Apple should remove all the barriers to its use and then sweeten the deal with some excellent services and a full connection to the Apple ecosystem (notes, reminders, calendars, notifications, etc.)
    Brilliant idea. Why wouldn't Google make Android Auto an app then? 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Brilliant idea. Why wouldn't Google make Android Auto an app then? 
    Because these aren't "apps" inside of an automobile's infotainment system. They're UIs built into each device that uses the display in your vehicle as auxiliary display. The app that automakers build is the bridge app that allows the display, or part of the display to be used (along with physical and virtual controls) when you connect a device with CarPlay or Android Auto to the infotainment system via USB or WiFi.
    GeorgeBMacentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    How interesting. I’m planning to upgrade our car next year and had planned to look at Tesla as a neighbour owns one and loves it.

But no CarPlay…… nah, I’ll get the Jaguar instead.
    entropysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    saarek said:
    How interesting. I’m planning to upgrade our car next year and had planned to look at Tesla as a neighbour owns one and loves it.

But no CarPlay…… nah, I’ll get the Jaguar instead.

I find it unfortunate that Tesla tied EVs so closely to self-driving.  I suspect that is the impetus for them making their computer systems into an Apple-like "Walled Garden".   If the computer is driving your car you don't want any possibility of outside complications.   Yes, Carplay is limited to entertainment but that vehicle module is increasingly being used for auto metrics as well -- they are integrated.

Enjoy your Jag!
    Or, wait a few years and there will be some very competitive competitors to Tesla.
    I see the world of autos much like the world of PCs back in the 80's or maybe 90's:   After a century of rehashing and refining the original technology, the industry is about to explode with technological innovations.   A lot of established auto makers won't make it.   And a lot of new ones will thrive.
    tokyojimu