Apple AR headset could cost consumers over $2,000

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Apple VR and Apple Car, two products who’s sole purpose is just for rumor sites to post more articles during slow news days.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 32
    I really hope Apple does not attempt to position a $2000 VR headset at the consumer market. They could position it as pro headset for enterprise markets as a first step before towards releasing a consumer headset at a consumer price point. If Apple somehow tries to convince everyone that a $2000 consumer headset makes sense, the entire tech industry will be laughing at the company. Expect to hear the term "jumped the shark" a lot when Apple is discussed.
    darkvader
  • Reply 23 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    With that price point I doubt they would go back to the name “iSight” lol
  • Reply 24 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    tommikele said:
    Another device that will continue to add space between what's in your head and reality. I prefer reality.

It will be cool, but no thanks. 
    That could be why Apple (if the rumours are true) are aiming it at people who have an alternative reality in their heads anyway and need tools to help get it out. For the benefit of societies progress, their own mental health and to earn the dollars. Once it services some economic turn-over then the price is not out of the question. Like a $5000 monitor aimed at professionals. Some people will pay thee money for just for their own entertainment to look cool in their podcasts.

Then again if it is shaping up as a new somewhat standalone creative platform in it's own right then really timing for introduction can't be anything other than WWDC.

I'd certainly pay $2,000 -$3,000 if it replaced one of my regular use cases. Thinks it's either a Laptop replacement teamed with iPad. Or a Desktop replacement teamed with a laptop. 

patchythepirate
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I just watched AFHV on ABC. One video many people wearing something look like retrofitted headset were frightened to fall off chairs or retreated back to hit other things. 
    darkvader
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    When Apple finally jumps into the AR/VR industry they will do what it does best: go after the high end of the consumer market where the lion's share of gross margin lives. They aren't going to duke it out in the entry-level market groveling for crumbs.
    edited January 2022 mattinozpatchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    robaba said:
    Absolutely no usecase at 2,000$
    That’s a typical response from the AI peanut gallery whenever Apple releases a new product. Whatever it is it’s always dismissed as overpriced while the competition is better and farther ahead. Fast forward to a year or two later... remember the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the Watch, the AirPods.

As for a use case? The only use I see for it is entertainment and people spend $billions on entertainment. They’ll spend their last dollar to be entertained so they can get away from the reality of this miserable world.
    williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Fred257 said:
    This will be a game changer ((literally)
    Assuming it will actually run games, I don't disagree.  In order to actually run games, one or more of these things will likely need to happen:
    • Apple will need to start caring about games other than those in the Arcade.
    • Game developers will need to port their games to this device.
    • Apple will need to make it compatible with existing VR platforms, e.g. Steam VR, Meta, Windows Mixed Reality, etc.
    For me personally, and I know Apple's priorities don't match, and that's fine, unless I can play Elite Dangerous, Skyrim VR, and the new VR games, and possible VR adaptations of those games, likely to be coming out in the next few years, it's going to be a non-starter for me.

The other, and more likely IMO, possibility is that it because a must-have accessory for my work PC.  It's doubtful that my employer will invest in that particular possibility, unless it becomes obvious that it will be a cost savings.  It's even less likely that I would be allowed to connect such an accessory to my work machine.  Our security is so locked down that it took me three months to convince them to allow bluetooth connections other than the keyboard and mouse. 😕
    williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 29 of 32
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Japhey said:
    robaba said:
    That’s a weird thing to say. You can go out right now and buy a $300 laptop, yet no one would ever say a $2000 MacBook Pro has no use case. We don’t even know what these are going to do, or how much they’re going to cost. So far, all we have are speculations disguised as “insider knowledge”.  
    Hmm, you planning on editing high-end video content on your headset?  How about company spreadsheets?  3d sculpting?  Somehow I doubt it.  So how do you intend to get your money back out of this investment?
    williamlondondarkvader
  • Reply 30 of 32
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    robaba said:
    Japhey said:
    robaba said:
    That’s a weird thing to say. You can go out right now and buy a $300 laptop, yet no one would ever say a $2000 MacBook Pro has no use case. We don’t even know what these are going to do, or how much they’re going to cost. So far, all we have are speculations disguised as “insider knowledge”.  
    Hmm, you planning on editing high-end video content on your headset?  How about company spreadsheets?  3d sculpting?  Somehow I doubt it.  So how do you intend to get your money back out of this investment?
    From “absolutely no use case” to no ROI? That was a quick journey. How is it even remotely possible to predict the ROI on a device that hasn’t even been announced yet? These aren’t for you…that’s fine. But don’t invent pretend reasons that nobody could possibly prove either way in order to justify that decision. 
    edited January 2022 ihatescreennamesmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    robaba said:
    That’s a typical response from the AI peanut gallery whenever Apple releases a new product. Whatever it is it’s always dismissed as overpriced while the competition is better and farther ahead. Fast forward to a year or two later... remember the iPod, the iPhone, the iPad, the Watch, the AirPods.
    The iPod Hi-Fi, the HomePod, the G4 Cube.

If you cherry pick your examples from a mixed bag then you can prove just about anything.
    darkvadermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 32
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Japhey said:
    I like the sound of Apple Vision, it’s just a cool name. And I really hope they don’t settle for Apple Goggles, which sounds too much like Google, as the authors spell check proved above. 

Argh!  No!  I hate it when Apple reuses product names!