CarKey support may spread to Hyundai, Genesis by the summer

Posted:
in iOS
Drivers may be able to open more cars with an iPhone or Apple Watch in the coming months, with Hyundai and Genesis expected to support Apple's CarKey feature by the summer.

Originally introduced in June 2020, Apple's CarKey is a feature designed to unlock and start cars and other vehicles, using a digital key stored in the Wallet app of an iPhone or Apple Watch. While it has so far been officially supported only by BMW, it seems that support could expand in 2022.

It is said that CarKey will start to become available in certain models from Hyundai and its Genesis spinoff, according to sources of Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg. Functionality for CarKey will apparentlly roll out for the unidentified models by the summer.

This isn't the first time the claim about CarKey expansion has been made. In September 2021, code found in an iOS 15 configuration file referenced Genesis as a "partner" for supported car access terminals, joining the existing BMW relationship.

Neither Hyundai nor Genesis have publicly confirmed CarKey support was on the way, however Genesis does use a digital key supporting Android devices for select models.

For iOS 15, CarKey was upgraded with support for Bluetooth Low Energy and Ultra Wideband, potentially allowing for its use without removing the iPhone from a bag or pocket beforehand.

Hyundai's potential support of CarKey could arrive a year after the disastrous talks between the manufacturer and Apple about the Apple Car. After Hyundai publicly confirmed talks were underway, Apple pulled away, though apparently the discussions weren't fully abandoned.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    That would be a great feature.

My Hyundai has a push button lock on the door handle (along with a push button start) so my key never leaves my pocket.   But previously I worried about losing a key or locking it in the car -- especially when I go out to a trail to run.

And that would be another use for Apple CarKey:  I see a lot of people at the trail who leave their keys under their car or in a wheel well.   It would be great if it were possible to unlock and start your car with your AppleWatch -- which is all I carry when I run.

I'll (hopefully) have this Hyundai until electric cars are affordable and reliable.   So it would be great if it were possible to retrofit Apple CarKey till then.
    bageljoey
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Eventually almost all car manufacturers adopted CarPlay; same will happen for CarKey. Those who adopt faster will have upper hand over other car manufacturers in attracting customers.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Some manufacturers will adopt it slower than others. Hyundai is trying to come at Lexus with the Genesis line and Toyota has a tendency to be slow to adopt technology. Frankly, the Toyota customer seems to not value “all that BS that will break.” 😂 From bottom of their lineup to Lexus, they have several vehicles that are ancient - even beyond CarPlay and CarKey stuff - but they still sell well because that is part of the allure: reliable with a lot of existing knowledge on how to repair. 

Genesis seems to want to go after the younger successful professional who does want “all that BS that will break” to link up with their personal communication device as conveniently as possible. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    rgw1469 said:
    Some manufacturers will adopt it slower than others. Hyundai is trying to come at Lexus with the Genesis line and Toyota has a tendency to be slow to adopt technology. Frankly, the Toyota customer seems to not value “all that BS that will break.” ߘ⠆rom bottom of their lineup to Lexus, they have several vehicles that are ancient - even beyond CarPlay and CarKey stuff - but they still sell well because that is part of the allure: reliable with a lot of existing knowledge on how to repair. 

Genesis seems to want to go after the younger successful professional who does want “all that BS that will break” to link up with their personal communication device as conveniently as possible. 

Yeh, Toyotas are known as being "bullet proof".   And for many, that's what they want.  And, it makes sense:  the main job, really the only job, of a car is to get you from point A to point B.   And Toyotas do that very well.

I transitioned from a Honda to a Hyundai.  And, while the Hyundai is better designed, the Honda was far better built with better materials and easier to repair.  I don't know for sure if the difference in repairability is due to different brands or if its because the Hyundai is more modern.   But, of the two, although I like the Huyundai and have no complaints about it, I prefer the older Honda.

On the other hand, the Toyota I had prior to the Honda ran almost a 1/4 million miles before my mechanic begged me to donate it to charity.   But actually, it was still running pretty well when I took his advice.
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 5 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

My Hyundai has a push button lock on the door handle (along with a push button start) so my key never leaves my pocket.   But previously I worried about losing a key or locking it in the car -- especially when I go out to a trail to run.

And that would be another use for Apple CarKey:  I see a lot of people at the trail who leave their keys under their car or in a wheel well.   It would be great if it were possible to unlock and start your car with your AppleWatch -- which is all I carry when I run.

I'll (hopefully) have this Hyundai until electric cars are affordable and reliable.   So it would be great if it were possible to retrofit Apple CarKey till then.
    Your car should not lock if the fob is inside the vehicle. If it does, then Hyundai has a serious problem. I've tested this with my car by rolling down the windows, putting the fob in the cup holder and then trying to lock the door with both the door switch and the other key fob. I guess the only way you could do it is if you manually lock your doors. I would just never do that, period. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 6 of 13

And that would be another use for Apple CarKey:  I see a lot of people at the trail who leave their keys under their car or in a wheel well.
    Pretty sure you wouldn’t be able to lock your fob in your car. Most cars nowadays have measures to prevent that. My 2012 Suzuki Kizashi won’t let you lock a key in the car and it’s 10 years old (same push start button and door button as you). I have by accident put my keys down in my trunk (I just gotten my mail from locked mailbox) and got something out of my trunk. Tried to close it and it kept popping open, which I then realized what I did. Also did that when leaving my keys in the car, when I hit the door button, it gave a long beep and didn’t lock the car.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macxpress said:

Your car should not lock if the fob is inside the vehicle. If it does, then Hyundai has a serious problem. I've tested this with my car by rolling down the windows, putting the fob in the cup holder and then trying to lock the door with both the door switch and the other key fob. I guess the only way you could do it is if you manually lock your doors. I would just never do that, period. 

Yeh, true.
    When I mentioned locking the key in the car I was speaking of my older Honda that had a regular key that went into the lock on both the door and the ignition. -  not the newer Hyundai with its push-to-start button.

(Sorry that I didn't make that very clear)
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 8 of 13
    macxpress said:

Yeh, true.
    When I mentioned locking the key in the car I was speaking of my older Honda that had a regular key that went into the lock on both the door and the ignition. -  not the newer Hyundai with its push-to-start button.

I don’t want to start an argument with anybody but I thought you were very clear from the beginning. I also have a push button start and my car locks with a button on the outside door handle. The reason I want CarKey is because time and time again I forget to put the fob in my pocket and then I go to start my car and I hear that annoying beeping sound over and over and over again. Then I have to go back into the house to grab the fob.

My current car is the 2015 Civic Si which is the year before CarPlay came to Honda. I’ve been waiting for Wireless CarPlay because most of the time I drive short distances and I don’t want to be required to take my phone out of my pocket. This is the model year that Honda is finally coming out with it. I would be in the market for another Civic Si but I feel disappointed that the performance actually decreased from the 2015 model. So I will probably be getting the 2023 Civic Type-R that should be coming out by the end of the year. I think they skipped over 2022 for some reason.
  • Reply 9 of 13

And that would be another use for Apple CarKey:  I see a lot of people at the trail who leave their keys under their car or in a wheel well.
    Pretty sure you wouldn’t be able to lock your fob in your car. Most cars nowadays have measures to prevent that. My 2012 Suzuki Kizashi won’t let you lock a key in the car and it’s 10 years old (same push start button and door button as you). I have by accident put my keys down in my trunk (I just gotten my mail from locked mailbox) and got something out of my trunk. Tried to close it and it kept popping open, which I then realized what I did. Also did that when leaving my keys in the car, when I hit the door button, it gave a long beep and didn’t lock the car.
    I have a horrifying experience with a rented Santa Fe in 2019 in Yosemite. I left the fob in the trunk while retrieving something then accidentally closed the trunk. I could not open the trunk again. I called the rental company. They arranged someone to drive up to Yosemite from fifty miles away. We have just had dinner and need to drive to the hotel twenty miles to rest. I was anxious waiting. Fortunately, my brother in law found someone who knows how to open the door. Since then, my brother in law who was the driver will not let me touch the fob again. 
    edited January 2022 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 13
    My 2020 Subaru Forester has an app that allows remote starting and other things. Adding CarKey in future generation should be an easy thing. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    macxpress said:

Yeh, true.

I don’t want to start an argument with anybody but I thought you were very clear from the beginning. I also have a push button start and my car locks with a button on the outside door handle. The reason I want CarKey is because time and time again I forget to put the fob in my pocket and then I go to start my car and I hear that annoying beeping sound over and over and over again. Then I have to go back into the house to grab the fob.

My current car is the 2015 Civic Si which is the year before CarPlay came to Honda. I’ve been waiting for Wireless CarPlay because most of the time I drive short distances and I don’t want to be required to take my phone out of my pocket. This is the model year that Honda is finally coming out with it. I would be in the market for another Civic Si but I feel disappointed that the performance actually decreased from the 2015 model. So I will probably be getting the 2023 Civic Type-R that should be coming out by the end of the year. I think they skipped over 2022 for some reason.

You won't get any argument from me!  The key fob is far better than they old 'plug-in' key but not nearly as nice as CarKey could be.

But a Type-R?  !!!!
    You won't have much need for CarPlay -- you'll get where you're going before the first song ends!
    Enjoy!

And, by the way, I share your preference for smaller cars:   I went from a '99 Accord to an Elantra.  And, even though the Accord went faster, stopped better and the interior was more comfortable, I like the Elantra.  It just feels better for me in a smaller car -- it feels like it's an extension of me rather than me driving a separate machine.

• Reply 12 of 13

I have a horrifying experience with a rented Santa Fe in 2019 in Yosemite. I left the fob in the trunk while retrieving something then accidentally closed the trunk. I could not open the trunk again. I called the rental company. They arranged someone to drive up to Yosemite from fifty miles away. We have just had dinner and need to drive to the hotel twenty miles to rest. I was anxious waiting. Fortunately, my brother in law found someone who knows how to open the door. Since then, my brother in law who was the driver will not let me touch the fob again. 

CarKey on the Apple Watch would solve your problem.
    (Good story!)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    macxpress said:

Yeh, true.

You won't get any argument from me!  The key fob is far better than they old 'plug-in' key but not nearly as nice as CarKey could be.

But a Type-R?  !!!!
    You won't have much need for CarPlay -- you'll get where you're going before the first song ends!
    Enjoy!

And, by the way, I share your preference for smaller cars:   I went from a '99 Accord to an Elantra.  And, even though the Accord went faster, stopped better and the interior was more comfortable, I like the Elantra.  It just feels better for me in a smaller car -- it feels like it's an extension of me rather than me driving a separate machine.

Yes. Exactly. In a large car, I feel detached from the road vs. in a small car I almost feel connected to the road.
    GeorgeBMac