Apple's iPhone was world's best-selling smartphone in 2021 holiday quarter

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2022
More than a fifth of every smartphone sold in the world in Q4 2021 was an iPhone, according to a new report, but coronavirus and supply chain shortages affected all manufacturers.

With 22% of all smartphone sales globally, Apple has overtaken Samsung's 20% share to become the most popular vendor in the world. New figures from research firm Canalys say that demand for the iPhone 13 drove Apple to the top after several quarters in second place.

"Apple is back at the top of the smartphone market after three quarters, driven by a stellar performance from the iPhone 13," said Canalys's Sanyam Chaurasia in a statement. "Apple saw unprecedented iPhone performance in Mainland China, with aggressive pricing for its flagship devices keeping the value proposition strong."

Chaurasia reports that Apple was not able to meet iPhone demand, however, because of shortages of key components. "In prioritized markets," continued Chaurasia, "[Apple] maintained adequate delivery times, but in some markets its customers had to wait to get their hands on the latest iPhones."

Source: Canalys
Source: Canalys

According to Canalys vice president of Mobility, Nicole Peng, the research firm predicts that it "will take years for major foundries to significantly increase chip capacity."

"Smartphone brands are already innovating to make the most of their circumstances," said Peng, "tweaking device specs in response to available materials, approaching emerging chipmakers to secure new sources for ICs, focusing product lines on the best-selling models and staggering new product releases."

"These practices lend an advantage to larger brands, and they are set to stay for the short term," continued Peng, "as bottlenecks will not ease until the second half of 2022."

While Apple topped the list of smartphone vendors for Q4 2021, though, the figures were down from the same period in 2020. Then Apple had a 23% share, while Samsung was on 17%.

For Q4 2021, Apple and Samsung were followed by Xiaomi on 12%, OPPO on 9%, and vivo on 8%.

Apple does not release specific iPhone sales figures. However, separately, a recent report from Counterpoint Research said that the iPhone 13 is currently the number 1 best-selling smartphone in China.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    I’m a lifetime Apple user. I just switched to Pixel 6. Apple products are good for home use. Out in the community and especially since COVD there are an embarrassing device and unusable piece of trash.  Goodbye Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Fred257 said:
    I’m a lifetime Apple user. I just switched to Pixel 6. Apple products are good for home use. Out in the community and especially since COVD there are an embarrassing device and unusable piece of trash.  Goodbye Apple.
    Hahahahaha nice try…..googleman
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Fred257 said:
    Okay, clown boy 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The "World's  Best Selling"!  
    Wow!   That's truly impressive.

Until...
    You look at the numbers and realize that it has less than 1/4 of the world's sales.
    Here in the U.S., the iPhone dominates -- especially among teens with nearly 3/4's market share.  But out in the rest of the world, it appears to be a solid option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Fred257 said:
    If you think an iPhone is unusable then the problem is you.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    The "World's  Best Selling"!  
    Wow!   That's truly impressive.

Until...
    You look at the numbers and realize that it has less than 1/4 of the world's sales.
    Here in the U.S., the iPhone dominates -- especially among teens with nearly 3/4's market share.  But out in the rest of the world, it appears to be a solid option.
    Truly impressive especially when you look at Apple's ASP and compare it with the competition...

https://www.ped30.com/2022/01/17/apple-samsung-flagship-sinking/

Of the 300 million units manufactured only 20 million were Galaxy S21 series devices. While not entirely a lost cause, it is unlikely that Samsung will be thrilled that it managed to move only 20 million of its high-end smartphones in an entire year. The lower-end Galaxy A, Galaxy M and Galaxy F phones likely accounted for the bulk of sales.

edited January 2022 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Fred257 said:
    I’m a real lifetime Apple user who wouldn’t consider ever switching to any other company’s  device because I prefer the best.
    patchythepirateDon.Andersencornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    bluefire1 said:
    Fred257 said:
    I’m a real lifetime Apple user who wouldn’t consider ever switching to any other company’s  device because I prefer the best.

I didn't switch to an iPhone till the iPhone 6.   My existing equipment not only met my needs but did so better than the early iPhones.  But, the iPhone developed and my equipment did not.  So I switched.

When there is something better, I will switch.  Apple hopefully knows that and realizes that it needs to invest more in its product than its stock holders & executives.  Too many of America's great corporations forgot that and now are no longer great American companies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Fred257 said:
    iPhones are trash so you bought a device that functions like a trashy iPhone except spies on you. Ok.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    And we’re all totally shocked..
    watto_cobra