Jon Hamm laments not being on Apple TV+ in new ad for the service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2022
Apple takes a moment to highlight its star-studded programming for Apple TV+ in its latest ad featuring Jon Hamm.

Jon Hamm wants his own Apple TV+ show in latest ad
Jon Hamm wants his own Apple TV+ show in latest ad

The short ad spot shows a frustrated Jon Hamm navigating the Apple TV app asking Apple, "did I do something to offend you?" As he browses, he highlights the increasing number of Holywood stars that have appeared in Apple TV+ movies and shows.

One moment in the ad had Hamm calling Tom Hanks, asking for a spot in his next Apple TV+ film.

Apple TV+ first debuted with a limited number of television shows and movies in 2019. However, the service has expanded to offer many shows across multiple seasons and several blockbuster movies. Apple recently celebrated its 763 award nominations and 190 wins across the service's lifetime.

Customers can watch content that doesn't contain Jon Hamm for $4.99 per month or via any tier of the Apple One subscription bundle.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    In my opinion Apple has always aced it when it comes to advertising.
    cornchipgregoriusmStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    “Don’s not a sales guy.” - Herb Rennet
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    What a fantastic ad. Makes me even happier to have the service. 
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    At least he got in an ad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I must admit I was a skeptic when Apple TV+ was first announced, I mean NetFlix and Disney are very competitive and have massive media libraries, let alone all the other contenders in this increasingly crowded space.

Having just watched Macbeth (to quote another, “Shakespeare done right”) and Finch, and last week the show about how music changed the world in 1971. The platform has amazingly fantastic content. If you previously tried ATV+ And gave it up, try it again!
    sdw2001chasmGeorgeBMacfastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Mac4mac said:
    I must admit I was a skeptic when Apple TV+ was first announced, I mean NetFlix and Disney are very competitive and have massive media libraries, let alone all the other contenders in this increasingly crowded space.

Having just watched Macbeth (to quote another, “Shakespeare done right”) and Finch, and last week the show about how music changed the world in 1971. The platform has amazingly fantastic content. If you previously tried ATV+ And gave it up, try it again!
    100% agreed.  I panned it because the library was so limited.  But it’s cheap and has fantastic content.  Tess Lasso, For All Mankind, Greyhound, and so much more.  My prediction is Apple will buy another, soon-to-be-failing streamer’s library.  Here’s looking at you, Paramount+ or Peacock.  Start packing, CNN+.  🤣
    Mac4macchasmcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    In my opinion Apple has always aced it when it comes to advertising.
    Not always

• Reply 8 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Content is definitely high quality,,even if a lot might not be of interest to a lot of people. 
    Truth is though you use it a lot for a week or two, then don’t for a long time until something new of interest is added, then you binge again. There still isn’t enough content for everyone, and maybe won’t be for a while.
    edited January 2022 cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 19
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Nailed it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    entropys said:
    Content is definitely high quality,,even if a lot might not be of interest to a lot of people. 
    Truth is though you use it a lot for a week or two, then don’t for a long time until something new of interest is added, then you binge again. There still isn’t enough content for everyone, and maybe won’t be for a while.
    You’ve confused “truth” with “your opinion” there.
    ihatescreennamesdewmejevichStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

I think his opinion has truth in it.   TV+ is not yet a standalone service.  With even moderate TV viewing you soon run out of shows and episodes.

But it's still very new -- unlike most other services, they didn't start with a decades old library.  They're building it as they go.  And each month they build it a little bigger.   And, they aren't charging an arm and a leg for it -- so it's very feasible to use it to compliment other services while it grows.

Patience Grasshopper...
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Very clever way to highlight Apple’s star studded lineup. The combination of Apple’s TV+ continuing to add quality content without jacking up the subscription price, Amazon Prime Video pulling in genres that TV+ doesn’t serve, Disney’s deep well of legacy content and great new content, and PBS Passport I’m growing weary of playing subscription price chicken with Netflix. With its frequent price increases and extra charges for 4K content, Netflix is daring me to kick it off Subscription Island. They are getting very close to be expendable.
    jevichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

I think his opinion has truth in it.   TV+ is not yet a standalone service.  With even moderate TV viewing you soon run out of shows and episodes.

But it's still very new -- unlike most other services, they didn't start with a decades old library.  They're building it as they go.  And each month they build it a little bigger.   And, they aren't charging an arm and a leg for it -- so it's very feasible to use it to compliment other services while it grows.

Patience Grasshopper...
    The others started out by buying decades old content. Try comparing original produced content instead. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

Patience Grasshopper...
    The others started out by buying decades old content. Try comparing original produced content instead. 

That's true -- and I thought I said that.
    My point is that, without that library of material,  Apple has to build their library from scratch.  And, while they are doing a very good job of that, Apple TV+ is not yet in a position to be the only subscription.

I didn't mean that as criticism of Apple or Apple TV+ -- just an acknowledgement that the service is not yet mature with a full library -- but it's getting there.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

Patience Grasshopper...

Good point. What’s your assessment? 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

Patience Grasshopper...
    Why?  If I’m paying for it I’ll compare whatever content I want to watch.  Couldn’t give a fig whether it’s originally produced or not.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    sdw2001 said:

Here’s looking at you, Paramount+ or Peacock.  Start packing, CNN+.  🤣
    Pretty sure that’s not how licensing works. What makes you think ViacomCBS or Comcast is interested in selling those assets?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

Patience Grasshopper...
    Why?  If I’m paying for it I’ll compare whatever content I want to watch.  Couldn’t give a fig whether it’s originally produced or not.

Not even all of Apple's content is originally produced (by Apple).   They bought the rights to Greyhound.  But, maybe that's an exception.  

But, as you point out, if it works, who cares?

I would love to see Apple TV+ follow the model they established with Apple News(+) or Apple Music.  But I'm sure they thought of that already.  I think it will happen eventually.  I hope it is sooner rather than later.   But, right now the industry just isn't ready for something like that -- the app and streaming side of the industry is just getting started with everybody jumping on board (NBC even created a duplicate news service just for streaming).  Things have yet to shake out.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

Patience Grasshopper...

That's true -- and I thought I said that.
    My point is that, without that library of material,  Apple has to build their library from scratch.  And, while they are doing a very good job of that, Apple TV+ is not yet in a position to be the only subscription.

I didn't mean that as criticism of Apple or Apple TV+ -- just an acknowledgement that the service is not yet mature with a full library -- but it's getting there.
    Who said it's supposed to one's "only subscription" service? It's 5 bucks a month - less than the price of a pint of beer. I certainly get my $5 worth each month (tho I'm paying less as part of Apple One bundle). 

crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    chasm said:
    entropys said:

Patience Grasshopper...
    Not even all of Apple's content is originally produced (by Apple).   They bought the rights to Greyhound.  But, maybe that's an exception.
    This is not remotely unusual. Networks bid on productions, some wrapped and some not. Creators shop out their stuff all the time.
    edited January 2022 watto_cobra