Redesigned Mac mini with M1 Pro & M1 Max set for spring Apple event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Apple's first special event of 2022 is rumored to have an upgraded Mac mini with M1 Pro and M1 Max chip options, a leaker claims.

Apple is anticipated to launch a number of new products at a spring Apple event, with strong candidates including an iPhone SE refresh with 5G and an iPad Air upgrade. Among the list of new arrivals could be the long-rumored redesigned Mac mini.

According to reliable leaker @Dylandkt on Twitter, Apple's spring event will feature "the Mac mini with M1 Pro and M1 Max." If true, this will offer consumers a pair of faster processor options, up from the M1 included in the initial release.

For the Apple Spring event, We will be receiving the Mac Mini with M1 Pro and M1 Max, a new 5G iPhone SE, and a new iPad Air. iMac Pro is still on track currently for a release in the spring. Yet, I have heard there are still concerns with regards to production.

-- Dylan (@dylandkt)

In a further clarification, Dylan confirms a "new design is coming" for the Mac mini. Previous leaks and rumors say the Mac mini will be redesigned to be thinner, have a polycarbonate top, an increase in ports at the back, and a magnetic power connection.

The leaker's tweet also said that the Mac mini isn't necessarily going to be the only Mac on display. That the iMac Pro revival is rumored to be "still on track" for a release in the spring, increasing the chance of it being included in the event.

However, some doubt is also cast by Dylan, offering that they have heard "concerns with regards to production."

On Sunday, Dylan tweeted that there would be a new M1 chip on the way, that would go beyond the M1 Pro and M1 Max in terms of performance, using a 12-core CPU. With a reference to the iMac in code relating to it, the chip is expected to be presented in an iMac Pro update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    "Redesigned Mac mini with M1 Pro & M1 Max set for spring"
    ...a few months before the M2 Pro/Max is released.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Why would the M2 Pro/Max be released in Spring? The M1 Pro/Max was released Oct '21, and with an 18-month cycle that would suggest April '23 for the M2 Pro/Max.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 35
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Why would the M2 Pro/Max be released in Spring? The M1 Pro/Max was released Oct '21, and with an 18-month cycle that would suggest April '23 for the M2 Pro/Max.

The 18-month cycle makes sense, as laptop/desktop releases don't need to be yearly like the iPhone. The base Mx release goes into the wide consumer audience products (MacBook, iMac 24"), while enhanced Mx releases go into ever-exclusive products over the next 18 months (culminating in the Mac Pro). So a base M2 release this year makes sense but not M2 Pro/Max. A consistent 18 month cycle is far better than what Intel have given Apple lately.

I'm hoping for an Apple display release alongside this rumoured Mini M1 Max/Pro product for my next Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Just come out with the pro grade iMac already. Sheesh. 

iPhone and iPhone pro coming out at the same time doesn’t hurt anything. Past years have shown that even SE models cause an up sell to the pro machine. 

Nothing wrong with that  a sale is a sale and the pro machines have more profit margin. 

The thought behind waiting only makes sense for appearing to not stagnate. We already know Apple doesn’t stagnate. They develop until it’s ready d add ndi then launch. But much of this seems a bit forced. 

Production issues? For what? The screen? Apple doesn’t manufacture that. Shouldn’t be an issue unless it’s 5.5-6k and the data connections require further engineering. 

The SoC? Done. 

The enclosure? Literally C&C a piece of aluminum Snd anodize it. 

Supply chain issues I can understand. Production? 

If true, hopefully it means that the pro machine is more than just a bigger iMac with a spec bump. 

Otherwise it doesn’t make sense. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 5 of 35
    There is still a strong need for a way to expand the SSD. A small slot in the back with the ability to insert and remove a M2 SSD module would do the trick nicely. Bonus points if it can be hot-swapped while the computer is on. SSDs are evolving rapidly in both speed and capacity. For a computer to have a 5 to 8 year life, you will want to upgrade the onboard storage. No external port, be it USB 4 or Thunderbolt, can get anywhere close to the speed of a M2 SSD. Even game consoles allow the SSD to be replaced with performance above 6 GB/s.
    welshdogDavidEsratilkruppelijahg
  • Reply 6 of 35
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    In a further clarification, Dylan confirms a "new design is coming" for the Mac mini. Previous leaks and rumors say the Mac mini will be redesigned to be thinner, have a polycarbonate top, an increase in ports at the back, and a magnetic power connection.
    Really hoping that if they make it thinner, they also keep the same footprint so that they stackable accessories. Otherwise, if the footprint is changing, they hopefully change so it can become a more versatile form factor.

Good to hear that they are looking to use the M1 Max. That's current gen console performance. It's going to cost $2000, but it will have competent GPU performance unlike the Intel models.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    There is still a strong need for a way to expand the SSD. A small slot in the back with the ability to insert and remove a M2 SSD module would do the trick nicely. Bonus points if it can be hot-swapped while the computer is on. SSDs are evolving rapidly in both speed and capacity. For a computer to have a 5 to 8 year life, you will want to upgrade the onboard storage. No external port, be it USB 4 or Thunderbolt, can get anywhere close to the speed of a M2 SSD. Even game consoles allow the SSD to be replaced with performance above 6 GB/s.

Imagine a Mini a bit taller that had four M2 slots. Instant RAID with high read/write and reliability. Would make an excellent editing system that was also portable.
    HobeSoundDarrylDavidEsratilkruppelijahg
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Since Apple computers "need" this (or *you* think they need it), then you must not own any Apple computers because it doesn't have what you need, right?  Right?

And you do realize this all requires PCIe lanes - Gen 4 x 4 lanes, for 6GB/s performance, right?  Are those going to magically appear (M1 is PCIe lane poor - not starved, but poor)?
    williamlondonlkrupppatchythepirate
  • Reply 9 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Where i'm headed. 

Not ready to spend Mac Pro kind of money. 
    Not willing to deal with a 27" Display when I know I need more. 

A mini with faster CPU/GPU and 10Gbe and faster Thunderbolt is right up my alley. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 10 of 35
    welshdog said:

Imagine a Mini a bit taller that had four M2 slots. Instant RAID with high read/write and reliability. Would make an excellent editing system that was also portable.
    I'd love it! I know that will have to be accomplished in 2 pieces of hardware but wish it could be one.

In the same line of thinking, while we all visualize iMac Pro as possibly being a "bigger iPad on a stick", imagine a WEDGE shape iMac Pro so that the base could have the depth for speakers and computing guts, the chin could actually be retired and have room for 4+ M2s under that case? I know there is practically no chance of being able to add/upgrade our own storage inside, but I'd much rather have the option than have an "all in one" that really begs for this other stuff attached to it. And kill/thin the chin and there's room for a 30" screen with thinned bezels in the traditional 27" form factor. Make the case just a bit wider and that would deliver on the earlier (probably not happening) rumor of iMac 32-inch screen (while the rumor mill has almost assured us of a 27", I'm still thinking that if 21" went 24" why can"t 27" go 30"+ as unlikely as that now seems). 

And while we're imagining our own wants, imagine iMac Pro UW with an ultra wide, Apple-made monitor. Since that seems far beyond longest, long shot, I'll likely soon move from (long term) iMac user to Mac Mini MAX with a Dell 5K2K UW monitor. I'm just about certain that the value proposition at purchase vs. the new iMac "bigger" will not seem to make sense... but in a couple of years when we're slinging around how M1 MAX is "long in tooth," my next monitor will still be usable instead of needing to be retired because the 2022 guts can't be upgraded to macOS 1X (15? 16?).
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 11 of 35
    1348513485 Posts: 343member

iPhone and iPhone pro coming out at the same time doesn’t hurt anything. Past years have shown that even SE models cause an up sell to the pro machine. 

Nothing wrong with that  a sale is a sale and the pro machines have more profit margin. 

The thought behind waiting only makes sense for appearing to not stagnate. We already know Apple doesn’t stagnate. They develop until it’s ready d add ndi then launch. But much of this seems a bit forced. 

Production issues? For what? The screen? Apple doesn’t manufacture that. Shouldn’t be an issue unless it’s 5.5-6k and the data connections require further engineering. 

The SoC? Done. 

If true, hopefully it means that the pro machine is more than just a bigger iMac with a spec bump. 

Your analysis of the production issues lacks some reality. because of aluminum shortages due to things like China cutting back production, the sky high price of recycled aluminum, global transportation problems, covid-19 issues (you may have heard of that) involving subcontractors, etc. it's not as simple as just CNC a block of aluminum. Also, Apple has little control of the supply and production issues the subs are having.

Supply chain issues ARE production issues.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 12 of 35
    13485 said:

The SoC? Done. 

Your analysis of the production issues lacks some reality. because of aluminum shortages due to things like China cutting back production, the sky high price of recycled aluminum, global transportation problems, covid-19 issues (you may have heard of that) involving subcontractors, etc. it's not as simple as just CNC a block of aluminum. Also, Apple has little control of the supply and production issues the subs are having.

Supply chain issues ARE production issues.
    Production is the stage of putting it together. Supply chain is the flow of components - something that is secured prior to production. So while supply chain can affect production, it is not a production issue such as bad figment, poorly engineered items, anodization that scratches off easily, or parts that won’t work together  (I.e.The iPhone 5 had production issues. Not supply chain issues.) 

The reality is these are nuanced terms that spark specific ideas in people who know the difference 

Literally everyone knows that there are supply chain issues. But thanks for playing. 

And China isn’t the only place to get aluminum. Apple can source from India who’d be eager to compete -maybe they already do… or Canada - Who can supply it yesterday. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 35
    ..and please Apple, get rid of this huge brick-charger, like you did with intel Mac mini predecessor.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 14 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All these demands/requests simply are setting the stage for disappointment as usual. Happens every time.
    williamlondoncommentzilla
  • Reply 15 of 35
    therm said:
    ..and please Apple, get rid of this huge brick-charger, like you did with intel Mac mini predecessor.
    100% this. 

The thing is litter on the floor. So trashy. Not like Apple at all. It’s just like the old Xbox one game console power supply. Gross. 

At least - if you are so bent on keeping the power supply external, have the brick plug directly into the wall please. 

But better yet, just put it back inside where it belongs. You can still have the plug contain an Ethernet Jack. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 16 of 35
    lkrupp said:
    All these demands/requests simply are setting the stage for disappointment as usual. Happens every time.
    Sure. This is possible and history supports your case. But concerning the née MacBook pros, Apple actually listens sometimes. 

• Reply 17 of 35
    therm said:
    100% this. 

The thing is litter on the floor. So trashy. Not like Apple at all. It’s just like the old Xbox one game console power supply. Gross. 

At least - if you are so bent on keeping the power supply external, have the brick plug directly into the wall please. 

But better yet, just put it back inside where it belongs. You can still have the plug contain an Ethernet Jack. 
    Please no. I appreciate your insights on Apple, but I’d rather have a sleek device than integrated power hardware that causes excess heat and thickness. Plus, combining Ethernet in the power brick is genius and elegant. You can always mount the power brick neatly under the desk if you want. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 18 of 35
    therm said:
    100% this. 

Please no. I appreciate your insights on Apple, but I’d rather have a sleek device than integrated power hardware that causes excess heat and thickness. Plus, combining Ethernet in the power brick is genius and elegant. You can always mount the power brick neatly under the desk if you want. 
    I hear you. The point is that you can have both. There is a lot more room than you’d think in the 24” enclosure, let alone a 27-32” one. Room enough for a power supply. 

The iPad Pro has a significant battery pack, houses and M1 and is even thinner than the iMac. 

Apple can add the power supply back in, no problem, shielded and all. 

And there is nothing sleek about a device that has a boat anchor hanging off of it 100% of the time. 

The power supply is an integral part of any device that does not have a battery. The iMac setup would look far cleaner with it internal than sitting plopped on your desk or floor. 

Just imagine a nice impossibly thin large 27”. Or 32” iMac s sleek as can be with nothing but a nice little dainty cable connecting it to the wall, with a nice, short Ethernet cable connecting directly into the MagSafe outlet plug housing. Boom. Everything all of us want. 

This is Apple. Not Microsoft, Not Dell, Not everyone else; Apple. They used to care about the finer details like that. It’s what set them apart. With the iMac, they got 90-95% of the way there and decided to stop. Hopefully that returns this year. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 19 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    therm said:
    100% this. 

I can't see that happening when the Mac mini has a solid market as a rack mounted device.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    I have serious doubts they will upgrade the current MacMini up to a Pro or Max. They will likely have a mini tower type case with significantly higher price points starting around $2000.