Apple seeds macOS 12.2 to public with rebuilt Apple Music, minor updates

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2022
Apple has issued macOS Monterey 12.2 to the public, bringing a number of minor updates including an AppKit version of Apple Music and bug fixes.

macOS Monterey
macOS Monterey

The macOS 12.2 update is the second major point release to Apple's macOS Monterey operating system. It's a more muted update that brings incremental changes to the Mac.

For example, Apple has rebuilt the Apple Music app using its native AppKit, which should make the app much more fluid and responsive.

In addition, there are updates to ProMotion scrolling on Safari, making for smoother animation on MacBook models with a variable 120Hz refresh rate.

While there were signs that Apple was working on bringing Universal Control to macOS 12.2 in the background, the feature did not materialize in the latest update. This comes after the feature was officially delayed until Spring 2022.

The build number for macOS 12.2 is 21D49, up from 21D48 in the release candidate.

Mac users can now download macOS Monterey 12.2 from the software update pane by clicking on the Apple logo in the top menu bar, selecting About This Mac, and then clicking on Software Update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    According to the feedback-page Apple has, Apple Music isn't an app, it's a service. So bugs (like the app denying acces to my Homepods Classic, as the case is now) can't be reported. So I have my sincere doubts when reading the new OS contains bug fixes for the Music app. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 41
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    schmrtzzz said:
    According to the feedback-page Apple has, Apple Music isn't an app, it's a service. So bugs (like the app denying acces to my Homepods Classic, as the case is now) can't be reported. So I have my sincere doubts when reading the new OS contains bug fixes for the Music app. 

Right, Apple Music is a service.  Music is an app by Apple, so it gets called Apple Music.  That's not confusing at all.

(Miss iTunes yet?)

Speaking of iTunes, you can bring it back and see if that fixes your problem.  https://github.com/cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive

edited January 2022
  • Reply 3 of 41
    An OS point release brings a full Music app GUI rewrite?  Surprising. Switching from Catalyst, which is iOS, to AppKit is no small matter.  That essentially makes the Music app 1.0 again.  Staying away till 1.1 at least.  I am glad I've stuck with Big Sur.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Also, what does this transition say about Apple's confidence in making sophisticated Mac apps in Catalyst over AppKit?  It seems like a vote of no confidence to me.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    kipkip Posts: 1member
    I have a 27" iMac from 2020 that seems to have lost any trace of the ethernet network connection. It ran smoothly initially then was lost I believe when I upgraded to OS Monterrey. I've spent a lot of time with Apple support and the final solution was to bring it in for repair, which I haven't done yet. I'm hoping this update will fix it but am not holding my breath.  I'm fine using wifi but it is annoying. Anybody else having this issue?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    An OS point release brings a full Music app GUI rewrite?  Surprising. Switching from Catalyst, which is iOS, to AppKit is no small matter.  That essentially makes the Music app 1.0 again.  Staying away till 1.1 at least.  I am glad I've stuck with Big Sur.
    Music was never a Catalyst app and the article doesn't say it was. It's now using AppKit instead of "web views".

See the original article.
    fastasleepentropys
  • Reply 7 of 41
    kip said:
    I have a 27" iMac from 2020 that seems to have lost any trace of the ethernet network connection. It ran smoothly initially then was lost I believe when I upgraded to OS Monterrey. I've spent a lot of time with Apple support and the final solution was to bring it in for repair, which I haven't done yet. I'm hoping this update will fix it but am not holding my breath.  I'm fine using wifi but it is annoying. Anybody else having this issue?
    I have a 2020 27" iMac with a 10 gb ethernet adaptor and have zero problems.

The ethernet connection is connected to a LAN port on an Orbi RBS850 - a Wifi 6 satellite in a mesh network - and appears to be functioning normally.

ifconfig shows en0 is UP, and examination of my Home profile in System Preferences->Network shows the IP address of the Ethernet adaptor at the same address as en0, and shows its status as Connected. Set Service Order … shows Ethernet at the top of the list.

Configuration of the Ethernet port shows I have it configured Manually with 1000baseT (which is all the LAN port supports) full-duplex with a Custom MTU of 1492. AVB/EAV Mode is enabled.

Speed Test using a server in my suburb shows I'm currently getting 706 mbps down 41.6 mbps up, though it is the middle of the day and the router and satellite are using a wifi 6 backhaul (no whole home ethernet).

I'm still running Monterey 12.1.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    The 12.2 update has broke sleep on my Mac Mini 2018 with i7.  It attempts to go to sleep and then wakes up in about 5 seconds.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Also, what does this transition say about Apple's confidence in making sophisticated Mac apps in Catalyst over AppKit?  It seems like a vote of no confidence to me.
    Good point. I'm slightly surprised though, as the Music app appears to contain some legacy iTunes code but perhaps it was hacked together quickly.

Still, it's saved me some bug reporting for now.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Sadly, macOS 12.2 obliterated a previously-used screen resolution. My LG 5K display has been running at 3840 x 1620 for over a year now. It's the perfect balance of readability and fitting what I need on screen. As soon as my computer rebooted from the 12.2 update, I could see that the login icon/box were too large. When I go into the preferences, 3840 x 1620 is no longer an option. It jumps straight from 3360 x 1417 (too zoomed-in/large)... up to 5120 x 2160 (WAY too high/small). And before anyone asks: YES, I know to hold Option while clicking the "Scaled" radio button to see the full list of resolutions, and YES, I checked the "Show all resolutions" checkbox. 3840 x 1620 no longer appears. I have screenshots of the same panel from prior to the update (totally unrelated), but glad I had it so I could prove I'm not crazy. ;) 

I have tried the litany or permutations of rebooting, rebooting with monitor off, then powering on, plugging/unplugging the Thunderbolt cable, and endless combinations of all that while changing the resolutions. It has not reappeared.

Has anyone else had resolution issues with this update...?
    Thanks.
    williamlondonnjohnson99
  • Reply 11 of 41
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    schmrtzzz said:
    Apple Music doesn't control your HomePods (and never did), it's the Home app that controls them. Add them to the Home App and then they'll appear as a sound source in your menubar.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Sadly, macOS 12.2 obliterated a previously-used screen resolution. My LG 5K display has been running at 3840 x 1620 for over a year now. It's the perfect balance of readability and fitting what I need on screen. As soon as my computer rebooted from the 12.2 update, I could see that the login icon/box were too large. When I go into the preferences, 3840 x 1620 is no longer an option. It jumps straight from 3360 x 1417 (too zoomed-in/large)... up to 5120 x 2160 (WAY too high/small). And before anyone asks: YES, I know to hold Option while clicking the "Scaled" radio button to see the full list of resolutions, and YES, I checked the "Show all resolutions" checkbox. 3840 x 1620 no longer appears. I have screenshots of the same panel from prior to the update (totally unrelated), but glad I had it so I could prove I'm not crazy. ;) 

I have tried the litany or permutations of rebooting, rebooting with monitor off, then powering on, plugging/unplugging the Thunderbolt cable, and endless combinations of all that while changing the resolutions. It has not reappeared.

Has anyone else had resolution issues with this update...?
    Thanks.
    Get SwitchResX or the like.
    williamlondonlightwaver67
  • Reply 13 of 41
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I've been anticipating the Music.app update. I don't know if anyone else has consistent issues with it, but I *constantly* am having to restart the app to get the webview panes in Music to refresh, get unstuck, sometimes the layout gets messed up and buttons overlap or move, pages simply don't load, and in general it's S-L-O-W to respond even when it working as expected. Haven't a clue what the issue is, but hopefully this fixes it.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    schmrtzzz said:
    Apple Music is a service. Music.app is an app that includes the Apple Music service. Your HomePod can be streamed to as an AirPlay target, but that's it as far as the Music app is concerned. You probably need to check your HomePod settings in the Home app.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Apparently there is some confusion over whether it was ever a Catalyst app, but it doesn't say much of anything. It says you can use Catalyst to convert an iPad app into a Mac app and customize it a little bit, making the Mac platform an easier sell for developers who had popular iPad apps and wanted to add macOS support. It was never a great way to make superior macOS apps, which should probably have a somewhat different starting mindset than touch-first iPad apps. 

And didn't Apple develop SwiftUI for developing cross-platform apps with deeper per-platform variations?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I truly wish this endless stream of stupid, inconsequential, pointless (i.e., not security-related), eye-candy updates will CEASE. STOP.

Between the Mac, the phone, the iPad, AppleTV and the Watch, all I am doing is constantly updating. It's frikkin' laughable at this point, and I am -- as I have no doubt many others are -- tired of it.

Apple is becoming worse than Microsoft ever was. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 41
    An interesting experience this evening. I upgraded my Intel Mac mini (top 6-core CPU option and 2TB App[le SSD and 64 GB of OWC ram) most recent model, my Intel 2019 16" MBPro with eight core I-9 cpu and 64GB ram, 8TB Apple SSD  and best video card choice, and my new 14" MBPro M1Max with best CPU option, 64GB ram and 4TB Apple SSD to the latest and greatest MacOS = 12.2. They were all within a couple of minutes of each other of the install process. So one finds that the OS must only use a single CPU to process an upgrade.

If so, when I upgrade my MBAir M1 (16GB of ram and 1TB Apple SSD) tomorrow to 12.2, I expect the install will take just as long as on the fully tricked out new 14" M<BPro. So what time consuming casual process turns all these cores on? Does Safari turn on more than one core.

Sort of a disappointment to find few true multi core apps for the simple daily tasks that eat up much of my day.....
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 18 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I truly wish this endless stream of stupid, inconsequential, pointless (i.e., not security-related), eye-candy updates will CEASE. STOP.

Between the Mac, the phone, the iPad, AppleTV and the Watch, all I am doing is constantly updating. It's frikkin' laughable at this point, and I am -- as I have no doubt many others are -- tired of it.

Apple is becoming worse than Microsoft ever was. 
    Easy solution:  don't update. Do it once per year or whatever is your preference instead. No one is making you get miserable updating your OS's. 
    You're welcome. No charge :smiley: 
    edited January 2022 maximarawilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I too have issues with Apple Music app on the Mac. It takes too long to load for starters. I can start typing on the search field, but pressing enter does nothing because the app hasn’t loaded properly yet. Also often times the now playing track freezes when rewinding music tracks (that is something I do a lot as a music teacher). So many times I need to restart the app just to get it to respond. This all happens on both my Intel iMac as well as my M1 Macbook Air.

Hoping this is the fix!
  • Reply 20 of 41
    kip said:
    Have you tried down grading via restore?