Apple Maps applies reality distortion field to hide Tim Cook's house

Posted:
in General Discussion
Both Apple Maps and Google Maps have entirely blurred out Apple CEO Tim Cook's home, presumably following recent reports of him being stalked.

Apple Maps view of Tim Cook's house
Apple Maps view of Tim Cook's house

To protect the location where Tim Cook lives, Apple Maps has blurred out his entire property in Palo Alto. Consequently, it draws more attention to the house, making it an inadvertent example of the Barbara Streisand Effect.

The change to the Apple Map Look Around feature, and Street View on Google Maps, comes after Apple was granted a restraining order on behalf of Cook. The CEO's stalker reportedly broke into his home at some point, and is now prohibited from approaching any Apple employees.

As part of Apple's request for a restraining order, however, the court filings were required to include Cook's full postal address. So while Cook has made no secret that he lives in Palo Alto, the exact street name and number were less publicly known until now.

Overhead view on Apple Maps
Overhead view on Apple Maps

At present, his house can still be seen from above on Google Earth and Google Maps. However, zooming in to Street View in either service, presents the area with the same blurring across the entire property.

Apple Maps has blurred it out from the overhead satellite view of the area, as well as the Look Around close-up street photography.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Interesting. I’m sure there are huge numbers of people who would like to be able to request this privacy option…
  • Reply 2 of 23
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    bageljoey said:
    Interesting. I’m sure there are huge numbers of people who would like to be able to request this privacy option…
    They can

https://mashable.com/article/how-to-blur-your-house-on-google-street-view
    dtownwarriorbageljoeyronnmattinoz
  • Reply 3 of 23
    You might want to consider the possibility that Cook owns more than one home...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Whoever wrote the headline to this story deserves a raise. Or at least the satisfaction of a job expertly done. A++, would read again.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    Because articles like this will go a long way toward keeping weirdos away from Cook. Nice job, AI.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Cook is a billionaire living in a puny little 2,000 square foot house?  That's probably about the size of the house Steve grew up in (plus his actually had a yard) -- and his father (at one time) repossessed cars for living.   Maybe Tim's just embarrassed and doesn't want anybody to see it?

(I meant that all tongue in cheek -- I understand why it's blurred out and that is a good thing.  But I do find it odd that Tim is living in such a place.  If nothing else, it would be pretty hard to secure it against a serious criminal or assault.)
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I'd encourage AI to remove the photos from this article (or at least crop them) as now everyone who visits will no precisely where Cook lives. For example, I didn't. Now I do. Please don't make things worse.
    Graeme000williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Cook is a billionaire living in a puny little 2,000 square foot house?  That's probably about the size of the house Steve grew up in (plus his actually had a yard) -- and his father (at one time) repossessed cars for living.   Maybe Tim's just embarrassed and doesn't want anybody to see it?

(I meant that all tongue in cheek -- I understand why it's blurred out and that is a good thing.  But I do find it odd that Tim is living in such a place.  If nothing else, it would be pretty hard to secure it against a serious criminal or assault.)
    I mean, it is in Palo Alto. I've spent a lot of time in that area. Small houses and big houses and everything in between, but the hood it ain't. It's a very nice place to live.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Ah the e Barbara Streisand Effect. Remember the good ol days when Apple would inaydventueraly confirm a rumor when their lawyers would issue cease and desist letters about only certain rumors.

elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    It's Barbra, not Barbara...
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    peteo said:
    bageljoey said:
    They can

https://mashable.com/article/how-to-blur-your-house-on-google-street-view
    Cool!  I did not know this was a thing. Makes me wonder why this story is news, then.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    ManuCH said:
    It's Barbra, not Barbara…
    She was born Barbara Joan Streisand. She's simply known professionally as Barbra Streisand. That makes both perfectly acceptable.
    Beatswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 23
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Clickbait with a dash on nostalgia!  ;)

As another poster said, there is a process to remove/blur homes from Google Street View available to others. And info on Cook's homes (this condo, his former main residence and his new-ish $10.5M mansion) was already out there. How else do you think these people served with protective orders were able to get to them?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    How does blurring that house exactly help stop it? If you have the address, you just go there. 
    ronnjimdreamworxGeorgeBMacwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member

Yeah, gotta agree. I was really expecting an alligator filled moat with a drawbridge, at the very least. Depending on the neighborhood, maybe throw in an iron gate as well. I suppose there are currently no HomeKit compatible drawbridges available and no steady supply of low performing Apple employees to keep the gators plump - so he had to settle for something a bit more modest. So much for caviar dreams and champagne wishes.
    GeorgeBMacavon b7watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    netrox said:
    How does blurring that house exactly help stop it? If you have the address, you just go there. 
    Yes, but you can be spotted if you go there and stare at the house looking for security vulnerabilities.
    Beats
  • Reply 17 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    netrox said:
    Apple has enough power to blur out the physical location. 😏
    bestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:

Yeah, gotta agree. I was really expecting an alligator filled moat with a drawbridge, at the very least. Depending on the neighborhood, maybe throw in an iron gate as well. I suppose there are currently no HomeKit compatible drawbridges available and no steady supply of low performing Apple employees to keep the gators plump - so he had to settle for something a bit more modest. So much for caviar dreams and champagne wishes.

I would think that Apple would be providing security for such an obvious target of nut cases, kidnappers and general terrorists -- including dictating aspects of his lifestyle such as where he lives.  But the alligator filled moat might be going overboard just a bit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 23

Why not? It's not like he spends a lot of time at home? 90% of his day he is at Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    michelb76 said:

Why not? It's not like he spends a lot of time at home? 90% of his day he is at Apple.
    90%? You think he only spends 16.8 hours per week any of his homes?
    elijahgwatto_cobra