Apple's Services add 165 million subscribers in last 12 months

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2022
Across iCloud, music, and Apple TV+ video, Apple says that it has added an all-time record number of new subscribers, bringing it to a total of 785 million.

Apple Services
Apple Services

In response to analyst question in its latest financial earnings call, Apple has revealed that it has added more subscribers to its Services than it had projected. Luca Maestri, Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President of Apple, said that the growth was worldwide.

"We set December quarter records in every geographic segment," said Maestri, "and then as I mentioned earlier, an all-time record for iCloud, for music, for video, for advertising [and] payment services. So we've done... better than we were expecting at the beginning of the quarter."

"We now have 785 million paid subs," he continued, "[and] we just we've increased 165 million in the last 12 months alone. Very, very pleased with the performance."

Source: Malcolm Owen from Apple data
Source: Malcolm Owen from Apple data

"This over performance has been spread around the world and spread around our services categories," Maestri said. "The reality is... the fact that the install base is growing, the fact that we continue to have more and more engagement of our customers on all the services, [it] is is a phenomenal story."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But, but, but... Apple TV+ is a failure, Apple Music is puny compared to Spotify. Oh, and all Apple services subscribers are on free trials and will not renew. It’s all an illusion. We’ve been told that over and over again in the AI forums by resident 'experts' in marketing and innovation. 

I love rubbing haters noses in it after every quarterly blowout.
    edited January 2022 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    But, but, but... Apple TV+ is a failure, Apple Music is puny compared to Spotify. Oh, and all Apple services subscribers are on free trials and will not renew. It’s all an illusion. We’ve been told that over and over again in the AI forums by resident 'experts' in marketing and innovation. 

And yet so few of them are ever in evidence.  Very few people, if any, ever say these things that you leap in to accuse the haters of saying before they even say it.  Almost like you're imagining it.
    muthuk_vanalingamBeatsneoncatgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 10
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    One out of every 10 humans are in the 'AppleVerse'...WOW
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    There was a user here, not gonna mention her name because she stopped posting and may be diseased or something, who said hardware sales must be stagnating because Tim Cook kept talking about services during an earnings call. Back then services were a tiny piece of the pie so her room-talk made some sense. Since then Apple has proven that this piece of the pie will only grow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    The question is : how many of these are paying subscribers? ...I did not take up free Apple TV subscription with purchases as I might have done, but currently have free 6-month trial subscriptions on Apple Music, Apple TV, Apple News and Apple Arcade thanks to Barclaycard. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    abriden said:
    The question is : how many of these are paying subscribers? ...I did not take up free Apple TV subscription with purchases as I might have done, but currently have free 6-month trial subscriptions on Apple Music, Apple TV, Apple News and Apple Arcade thanks to Barclaycard. 
    "We now have 785 million paid subs," he continued, "[and] we just we've increased 165 million in the last 12 months alone.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    omasou said:
    abriden said:
    "We now have 785 million paid subs," he continued, "[and] we just we've increased 165 million in the last 12 months alone.
    It seems odd to claim 785 million subscribers overall, then qualify all of them as 'paid' ...they have not stated that trial subscriptions are explicitly excluded. Also, it would be interesting to have data on the relative duration of these subscriptions, and whether in the headline figures a one-month paid subscription is counted the same as a 12-month subscription. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member

You've got one of those Calvin peeing on a Ford logo decals on your Chevy, don't you.
    omasouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    abriden said:

Apple has gone on record and stated they do not consider free trials as subscribers. So all of them are paid subscriptions.
    omasouwatto_cobraBeats
  • Reply 10 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    abriden said:
    omasou said:
    abriden said:
    It seems odd to claim 785 million subscribers overall, then qualify all of them as 'paid' ...they have not stated that trial subscriptions are explicitly excluded. Also, it would be interesting to have data on the relative duration of these subscriptions, and whether in the headline figures a one-month paid subscription is counted the same as a 12-month subscription. 
    You know as well as I do that Apple, Spotify, Netflix, etc. will never provide that level of detail but keep thinking of ways to qualify/disqualify the FACT that Apple services are successful and making money.

What does it matter how successfully they are compared to their peers in each market. They're executing to a plan that we will never know and they are making money.

Be chicken little and I will continue to smile as my APPL stock increases in value. 
    edited January 2022 watto_cobraBeats