Latest macOS, iPadOS betas finally introduce Universal Control

Posted:
in General Discussion
After months of the feature's absence, Apple has finally introduced its long-awaited Universal Control feature in the latest beta versions of macOS Monterey 12.3 and iPadOS 15.4.

Universal Control at WWDC 2021
Universal Control at WWDC 2021

The feature, which allows users to control multiple Mac and iPad devices with a single mouse and keyboard, was initially slated for a release by the end of 2021. By December of that year, Apple officially delayed the release until the spring of 2022.

In the first beta builds of iPadOS 15.4 and macOS 12.3, Apple has implemented settings related to the Universal Control feature. In addition, the feature is enabled by default once a user updates to the latest betas.

Universal Control creates a unified cursor that can be moved to another nearby device by pushing to the edge of a display. It requires all iPad and Mac devices to be logged into the same iCloud account, however. Users can find the Universal Control settings after updating to the new betas in the Displays section on macOS and in the AirPlay & Handoff section on iPadOS.

The Cupertino company first unveiled Universal Control at WWDC 2021, with an expected release date by the end of the year. Apple's release date of Spring 2022 lines up with the expected debut of macOS Monterey 12.3 and iPadOS 15.4.

AppleInsider will be evaluating the feature in the coming days.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    It would good if this worked with older Macs as a dock for laptop user. 
    seanj
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I hope this feature works brilliantly, unlike Silver’s Lasso S1 review. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I do the same with Logitech Flow and Luna Display
    kitatitJaphey
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I do the same with Logitech Flow and Luna Display
    Same here. I love the MX keys and MX mice. I run it with my Mac mini, a dell optiplex and a Dell precision tower. Logitech flow is pretty good. The copy and paste feature between Computers, let’s me transfer files on the offline CAD workstation to the online Mac mini without using thumb drives.  
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Best News for me is "Any" iPad Pro!!

I thought I read that the 1st Gen was left out!!

Yippie!  Now I can get an M2 iPad Pro or even later depending on when my Gen 1 dies!

Even tho I really want an M1 iPad Pro, they sure are nice!

Laters...