New iMac Pro coming later than expected with modified mini LED backlights, says new report...

Posted:
in macOS
Apple's iMac Pro refresh with a mini LED display and an Apple Silicon chip is coming in the summer of 2022 instead the spring, according to a display analyst.

Render of the 27-inch iMac Pro with an Apple Silicon chip
Render of the 27-inch iMac Pro with an Apple Silicon chip

Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants on Monday said he no longer expects the upcoming iMac Pro refresh to launch in the spring of 2021. In a subsequent tweet, Young said that panel shipments will start in June but the Apple Silicon iMac Pro itself may not launch until August or September.

As we reported in today's DSCC Weekly, we no longer expect the Apple iMac Pro to launch in the spring. Looks more like summer. Still with a MiniLED backlight, but fewer MiniLEDs/zones than in iPad/MacBook Pro's.

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

Young added that the device will still use a mini-LED backlighting system but may feature fewer mini LED zones than in other Apple products like the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro.

The display analyst, who has a good track record of reporting accurate information related to Apple, previously said that the mini LED-equipped iMac Pro could launch in the spring.

According to past rumors and reports, the new iMac Pro will be a replacement for Apple's 27-inch iMac and a larger, more powerful counterpart to the current 24-inch iMac with an M1 chip.

Earlier in January, a rumor from accurate leaker @dylandkt suggested that the new iMac Pro could sport a 12-core CPU configuration. That device could also pack a design similar to the current 24-inch iMac, an I/O that includes an SD card slot and HDMI port, and a starting price around $2,000.

The first iMac Pro was announced at a WWDC, and didn't ship until the end of the year. It's not clear what availability will be after announcement.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Fewer zones than on the 12'' iPad Pro and the MacBook Pros, on a much bigger screen? I don't buy it. That would make up for some insane blooming.
    If what he meant was fewer zones than on the Apple Pro Display, or even as many as on the current one but fewer than on a revised version thereof, that would make a little bit more sense.
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Ffs Apple.. then just put an M1 chip in the current 27" chassis and release that in the spring, save the M2 for the pro in the fall if you must, I'm tired of waiting for a larger M series iMac with black borders.
    williamlondonappleinsideruser9secondkox2mac_dogdanox
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Either go full mini LED and do it right or don't bother. We don't want light artifacts in dark areas.

iMac Pro is going to sell.  There is pent up demand.

But dang. It needs to simple come out.

I imagine new SoC architecture is the reason for delay more than anything. It needs to puch hard.

Sure, there are other issues in the supply chain, but all of that is amortized across the lineup: aluminum, glass, silicon, screen materials, etc.

Performance is what will drive this.
    williamlondonmac_dog
  • Reply 4 of 12
    What about 27” iMac non-Pro?
    williamlondonJWSC
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Or a 24” iMac Pro?
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    Or a 24” iMac Pro?
    F That, 32” or bust…….Stop holding back Apple..
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 7 of 12
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Yea, I want it too.  Bad!  But I can wait a few extra months.  Heck, it’s not like any of us has a choice anyway.  ;)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    danox said:
    Or a 24” iMac Pro?
    32” or bust…….Stop holding back Apple..
    Amen.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    mainyehc said:
    Fewer zones than on the 12'' iPad Pro and the MacBook Pros, on a much bigger screen? I don't buy it. That would make up for some insane blooming.
    If what he meant was fewer zones than on the Apple Pro Display, or even as many as on the current one but fewer than on a revised version thereof, that would make a little bit more sense.
    The 12" iPad Pro has 2596 dimming zones, 16" MBP has 2554, 14" has 2010.
    The 32" Pro Display XDR has 576.

Anything over 576 will be better than the Pro Display. There must be some manufacturing challenges in putting more in a bigger form factor, I would have expected it to be harder to do in a smaller form factor but it will be worthwhile getting at least the quality of the XDR display at a standard iMac price point.
    muthuk_vanalingampatchythepiratewilliamlondonfastasleepAlex_V
  • Reply 10 of 12
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants on Monday said he no longer expects the upcoming iMac Pro refresh to launch in the spring of 2021.
    We’ll there’s a forecast we can all agree on.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    danox said:
    Or a 24” iMac Pro?
    F That, 32” or bust…….Stop holding back Apple..
    Apple won't make a 32" iMac because they want people to buy their $6,000 XDR Display.  That is why they advertise the Mac mini with the 32" display.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    Ffs Apple.. then just put an M1 chip in the current 27" chassis and release that in the spring, save the M2 for the pro in the fall if you must, I'm tired of waiting for a larger M series iMac with black borders.
    The M1 would not be a good experience in the 27" iMac.  The M1 has integrated graphics that are fine for laptops, but not so great in anything else.  The 21.5" iMac with the Vega graphics outperform the graphics in the M1.  The M2 is a replacement for the M1, not something an iMac Pro would ever have.  That is why the 27" iMac will have the M1 Pro and M1 Max with the high GPU cores to set it apart from the 24" iMac, which doesn't even offer a graphics upgrade anymore.  The M1 Pro and M1 Max finally get close to matching the performance of dedicated GPUs.
    williamlondon